NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
My thoughts on this are the smug Avs fans that were trashing us all season and writing in Hughes in their 2019 lineups in pen. Serves you right.

But to add fuel to all this, immediately they go start trashing Tkachuk and talking about 8 players they'd rather have? Lol come on.

Sour grapes on their part.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
That, of course, is not what he said. It was a sincere apology for the way he messaged the Stone trade. Nice to hear and a positive step forward.

Agreed. It was a step in the right direction. I still think he needs a hockey ops president above him to handle alot of this PR stuff though.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Happy to oblige.

And where do I say we were VASTLY improved?

I said our forward core would be deeper, which was true.

I said I doubted we'd finish bottom 5. That's not VASTLY improved.

I said we wouldn't be the worst team in a decade. Also true. Not even close.

Nice try though.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
My thoughts on this are the smug Avs fans that were trashing us all season and writing in Hughes in their 2019 lineups in pen. Serves you right.

But to add fuel to all this, immediately they go start trashing Tkachuk and talking about 8 players they'd rather have? Lol come on.

Sour grapes on their part.

I just read their thread. Apparently Cale “0 NHL Games” Makar would go first overall in a 2017 redraft..ahead of Pettersson and Heiskanen.

Reactions: Deku

dougie952

Jul 17, 2010
Ottawa
Don’t even try to have a rational conversation in that thread. It’s just get flagged for trolling.

I got flagged first time ever for one comment. Ya it probably was a bit, but after their pick tracker website they deserve losing the lottery.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Holy shit we had some luck! It's a miracle!

Obviously taking Brady looks great now. He's a perfect fit for a rebuilding struggling franchise. I have no clue why Avs fans are so salty though. Christ, we still gifted them the 4th overall pick for a guy we don't have anymore. You got to punch us in the gut and push us down the stairs, so sorry you couldn't kick us in the nuts too!

Reactions: Deku

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
our 1st rd pick was a sunk cost, so I don't care that Colorado ends up with 4th, but I am disappointed that NJ gets 1st OA, would have preferred it go west to Vancouver or something.

Hoping that Vegas faces off against Dallas or Colorado in the WCF |(not sure which of those can actually happen...) so that we can draft 2 spots earlier. Alternatively, I guess SJ winning the cup and resigning Karlsson would net us an extra 1st next year.

Still hopefull that we can get one of Sieder, Newhook, or Lavoie (I guess there are also some higher ranked guys but realistically, I think even getting one of those three is a long shot). Maybe we can move up to get who we want.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have no clue why Avs fans are so salty though.

The majority of the fanbase have shown themselves to be utterly classless over the course of this season.

Are you honestly surprised that the fanbase that spent the entire season not only boasting about how they stole our lunch money, but reminding us every day about how they were going to spend it, ends up acting like spoiled, petulant children when they find out that the thing they spent 10 months rubbing in our face wasn't going to happen anymore?

They showed their true colours. Remember: this is the fanbase who defended Claude Lemieux for like a decade. I wouldn't ever expect any integrity from that lot.

Hubris is a b*tch, Avs fans.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
During his presser, about half way through.

Basically said he alienated the fan base with his comment. Was speaking as a “scout” being excited about a prospect, but needs to remember he is the GM. Thanked and acknowledged Stone for his contributions.

Honestly, a lot of people you'll meet in life have a hard time apologizing for anything, either because they lack the ability to see that they did anything wrong, or lack the courage to admit they screwed up.

This is a positive step. This apology actually sounded heartfelt and genuine, as opposed to like 90% of the garbage lip-service BS coming out of this org over the past year.

I might be in the minority on this around here, but I appreciate the honesty and mindfulness that came with this apology.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Honestly, a lot of people you'll meet in life have a hard time apologizing for anything, either because they lack the ability to see that they did anything wrong, or lack the courage to admit they screwed up.

This is a positive step. This apology actually sounded heartfelt and genuine, as opposed to like 90% of the garbage lip-service BS coming out of this org over the past year.

I might be in the minority on this around here, but I appreciate the honesty and mindfulness that came with this apology.

I agree it's a positive step. I think PD is a far better GM than he is a communicator. I saw the TDL press conference and heard the words he used. I knew what he meant but the way he expressed was....and I'm being generous here... poor.

I think his subpar comms skills end up detracting from his GM skills.

I would have made the decision to take Tkachuk last year if the internal assessment was he will be a better player than anyone taken 3OA or later this year. The math says that was the right call.

happy the whole thing is behind us. we can start moving forward now without that weight on our shoulders

Reactions: pzeeman and guyzeur

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The trade then becomes Turris, Bowers and Cozens (probably) for Duchene, Abramov, Davidsson and the Columbus first round pick.

Still "highway robbery"?

Yes. Ottawa being shoved down the draft lotto doesn't change that it was a horrible trade. One that shouldn't have been made in the first place.

I'm just glad the damned thing is over with.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yes. Ottawa being shoved down the draft lotto doesn't change that it was a horrible trade. One that shouldn't have been made in the first place.

I'm just glad the damned thing is over with.

I think they are saying if Duchene comes back. If we get Duchene back honestly it'll be close to a win. Duchene is a near-elite player

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It could have been Buffalo or Detroit at some point.

Very true, there are a bunch of different scenerios that could have happened, I guess I am just not as ecstatic as others about the draft lottery results.

It also just feels weird being SO happy that Colorado didn't get 1st overall, like it some sort of vindication for terrible management?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Very true, there are a bunch of different scenerios that could have happened, I guess I am just not as ecstatic as others about the draft lottery results.

It also just feels weird being SO happy that Colorado didn't get 1st overall, like it some sort of vindication for terrible management?

More because having everyone talk about Hughes and first overall and Ottawa giving that away for the next 20 years would've been insufferable. Granted, whoever they grab at #4 could end up the best of the bunch, but there's less prestige on a 4th overall compared to that shiny first pick.

On another note, I really haven't followed the kids this year, but seeing Hughes in the studio for the lotto...the kid looks like he's 12 years old! I know they get younger every year, but seeing that little body against men. I dunno.....

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
More because having everyone talk about Hughes and first overall and Ottawa giving that away for the next 20 years would've been insufferable. Granted, whoever they grab at #4 could end up the best of the bunch, but there's less prestige on a 4th overall compared to that shiny first pick.

On another note, I really haven't followed the kids this year, but seeing Hughes in the studio for the lotto...the kid looks like he's 12 years old! I know they get younger every year, but seeing that little body against men. I dunno.....

My GF was watching the lotto with me and was like, he is going to celebrate getting drafted with cookies and a nice big milkshake afterwards?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

This was the year and a half of “zero days since last Senators incident”.

Even the lamest amount of sunlight is better than nothing.

That and there was something distasteful about how it was covered over in Colorado.

Sure, logically the best result is that Western teams would have gotten all the good players, but it’s been an emotional grind and there’s just a little bit of relief that we didn’t trade one of the two most likely superstars away for a year of Duchene, and have to deal with that for the next 15-20 years.

There’s also a decent chance that Tkachuk could be as good or better than Colorado's pick. So that particular shadow may not be dogging Brady’s career going forward where he is permanently compared with Hughes or Kakko around here and elsewhere.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Even worse for Colorado is that they didnt get tkachuk, a player who they could use right now in this series vs Calgary.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Even worse for Colorado is that they didnt get tkachuk, a player who they could use right now in this series vs Calgary.

Meh, that's a minor thing, to be honest.

Their window is ahead of them, not behind them.

Winning or losing against Calgary isn't really important at this stage IMO. Just getting the playoff experience is.

Meanwhile, the Flames only have Gio at this level for a few more years.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Meh, that's a minor thing, to be honest.

Their window is ahead of them, not behind them.

Winning or losing against Calgary isn't really important at this stage IMO. Just getting the playoff experience is.

Meanwhile, the Flames only have Gio at this level for a few more years.

It's a 2 ply thing though, having tkachuk and having tkachuk for this series. But yes, theoretically their window should be opening about now.

Cant shake the thought that Calgary has unproven goaltending and tkachuk right up in the paint could change the series one way or the other.

We'll see, I guess. Go Calgary

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Cant shake the thought that Calgary has unproven goaltending and tkachuk right up in the paint could change the series one way or the other.

We'll see, I guess. Go Calgary

Well, I wouldn't put money on Calgary to win four rounds.

You can't have bad goaltending and win a series. You can do it without good goaltending, but not with bad goaltending.

One bad game between the pipes early in a series and there will be a lot of sweaty brows in Cowtown.

I still have Las Vegas coming out of the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad