Prospect Info: 2019 Draft

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Leason looks like he has fallen off late in the season. I'd be wary of drafting him in the top 50. He's a 6'4'' kid dominating in his D+2 season. He's not technically an overager but you still need to put his production in context. That said, if you can get him in the 2nd round and he carves out a Tanner Pearson type career, you take that all day.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
What qualities do we need in players this year? We obviously need center depth. Does the side they shoot from matter for where the Hurricanes are in development? Are bigger players better than smaller more agile players generally? Would you focus on getting a certain type of player several times hoping one will pan out or would you take different types of players? The development in Charlotte has been awesome. I can't wait to see what awesome players we get this year!

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
What qualities do we need in players this year? We obviously need center depth. Does the side they shoot from matter for where the Hurricanes are in development? Are bigger players better than smaller more agile players generally? Would you focus on getting a certain type of player several times hoping one will pan out or would you take different types of players? The development in Charlotte has been awesome. I can't wait to see what awesome players we get this year!
I think both center depth and goalie depth are in the best place it has been for organization (by the way Booth had a shutout stopping 33 shots in an ECHL playoff game last night). I would still draft one of each, but the emphasis needs to be on goal-scoring wingers and rebuilding d-man depth.

There are tons of names--but in the last 24 hours I have settled on at least one of the second round picks--Samuel Fagemo. He wasn't drafted last year, but as an 18-year-old he was second on his SHL team in goals (14 in 42 games) and is tied for having the most playoff goals (6 in 16 games). He is a right-shot, a little on the small side (5'11", 190).

Reactions: Unsustainable

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Of we are indeed keeping all our picks (who knows) I'd be targeting a D with one of the two early 2nds. I know the team is stacked there now, but we're probably moving at least one, if not two this offseason, and having a young ELC ready to step in a few years from now after the expansion draft, Bean/Fleury graduating to full timers, and the end of de Haan's contract, is ideal.

The 1st and other early 2nd I'd be targeting high upside forwards, I think they can afford to take a risk to get a potential impact player. I don't have any name suggestions, since I'm following a playoff run I've barely spent 5 minutes looking at prospects for one. God that's refreshing

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Sunday morning and I have too much time on my hands. So here is my May version of who I want the Canes to draft.

Rd 1 (pick 31): Ilya Nikolayev
On the younger side with a June birthday. From everything I read Nikolayev is above average in all aspects and has the potential to be a 2nd line center. Good value at 31. Also, I think the 2nd round picks should be used to find a scoring forward.
Rd 2 (36): Samuel Fagemo
Probably the highest ceiling outside the first 15 picks or so. He is a goal scorer. Inexplicably not drafted last year when he was first eligible. He played in the SHL and outproduced both Bokk (who was taken in the first last year) and Hallander (who was taken in the second in 2018). He has continued to score, goals and 10 points in 16 games, in the SHL playoffs.
Rd 2 (37): Patrik Puistola
Nine months young but basically a left-shot version of Fagemo . He is a goal scorer pure and simple.
Rd 2 (62): Zachary Jones
Time for a defenseman. The video I have seen of Jones has been impressive. He plays a simple game in the defensive zone. However, in the offensive zone and on the power play he is electric. His skating allows him to weave between players while his puck-control and passing creates great looks for teammates.
Rd 3: Whichever goalie is available (in order): Lukas Parik, Trent Miner, Isaiah Saville
Parik has good size and has good numbers in international play this year. Miner is on the small side but was one of the most successful WHL goalies. I had Saville at the top of my list a few weeks ago, but he has struggled in the USHL playoffs.
Rd 4: Ryan Siedem
The first defenseman pick based on my formula to identify middle and late round steals like Pesce and Slavin. Siedem is a right-shot with good size (6'2", 190). His draft year numbers are close to those of Slavin in the USHL.
Rd 5: Ondrej Psenicka
All the forwards taken with the first three picks were smaller. Psenick is big (6'5, 195). The best draft strategy in later rounds is to draft for potential.
Rd 6 (two picks): Alexander Lundqvist and another goalie in this order (Roman Basran, Roddy Ross, Dominic Basse).
Lundqvist is another d-man who fits the profile of a late-round steal.
The goalies are just to overfill the pipeline. These three all have a decent combination of size and success in their respective leagues.
Rd 7: Grayson Ladd or Thomas Pelletier.
Two more defensemen my model really likes. Ladd is a right-shot (6'1", 172) and Pelletier is a bigger left-shot (6'3", 192).

* If the Canes could trade their 1st and one of their seconds to move up to the late teens or 20 and nab Tomasino, that would be my preferred outcome.

Last edited:

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Sunday morning and I have too much time on my hands. So here is my May version of who I want the Canes to draft.

On the younger side with a June birthday. From everything I read Nikolayev is above average in all aspects and has the potential to be a 2nd line center. Good value at 31. Also, I think the 2nd round picks should be used to find a scoring forward.
Probably the highest ceiling outside the first 15 picks or so. He is a goal scorer. Inexplicably not drafted last year when he was first eligible. He played in the SHL and outproduced both Bokk (who was taken in the first last year) and Hallander (who was taken in the second in 2018). He has continued to score, goals and 10 points in 16 games, in the SHL playoffs.
Nine months young but basically a left-shot version of Fagemo . He is a goal scorer pure and simple.
Time for a defenseman. The video I have seen of Jones has been impressive. He plays a simple game in the defensive zone. However, in the offensive zone and on the power play he is electric. His skating allows him to weave between players while his puck-control and passing creates great looks for teammates.
Rd 3: Whichever goalie is available (in order): Lukas Parik, Trent Miner, Isaiah Saville
Parik has good size and has good numbers in international play this year. Miner is on the small side but was one of the most successful WHL goalies. I had Saville at the top of my list a few weeks ago, but he has struggled in the USHL playoffs.
The first defenseman pick based on my formula to identify middle and late round steals like Pesce and Slavin. Siedem is a right-shot with good size (6'2", 190). His draft year numbers are close to those of Slavin in the USHL.
All the forwards taken with the first three picks were smaller. Psenick is big (6'5, 195). The best draft strategy in later rounds is to draft for potential.
Rd 6 (two picks): Alexander Lundqvist and another goalie in this order (Roman Basran, Roddy Ross, Dominic Basse).
Lundqvist is another d-man who fits the profile of a late-round tea.
The goalies are just to overfill the pipeline. These three all have a decent combination of size and success in their respective leagues.
Two more defensemen my model really likes. Ladd is a right-shot (6'1", 172) and Pelletier is a bigger left-shot (6'3", 192).

* If the Canes could trade their 1st and one of their seconds to move up to the late teens or 20 and nab Tomasino, that would be my preferred outcome.

I came here to say exactly this but you beat me to the punch... I guess great minds think alike; thanks for saving me some time!

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I wrote him off and haven't paid much attention this year. This scouting report from last year does a good job of explaining why he got passed over.

Short answer being "he's a project and probably not as good as his numbers suggest."

Samuel Fagemo - NHL - DraftSite.com

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I wrote him off and haven't paid much attention this year. This scouting report from last year does a good job of explaining why he got passed over.

Short answer being "he's a project and probably not as good as his numbers suggest."

Samuel Fagemo - NHL - DraftSite.com
I heard some of the same last year and he wasn't on my radar earlier this year. But he is on the team playing for the championship in the SHL. He was the second-leading scoring on this team and near the top in +/-, he continues to score goals in the playoffs. To me that suggests that he is not giving up possession by taking too many "bad" shots.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Been hunting around for 2nd round projected players who fit the Canes current mold. High motor, fast, with an edge and a 3-zone game. Albin Grewe has stuck out to me. Carries the puck through all areas of the ice, skates well, doesn't pass up a big hit when it is there, and is always flying.

His coach:
He is at the top of the food chain, a t-rex, eats everything and thinks everything is under him, - Robert Ohlsson

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Lol who gives a **** about the draft.
Not today junior. This is a rare time when I don’t have to start thinking about the draft in goddamn January. I don’t know **** all about any prospects this year and it’s amazing.

Pretty easy to not go into Draft thread and rant about how much you don't care, no?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Rant, or expression of joy?

I read all the threads. I happened to click on the draft thread, started reading and realized I didn’t care and also thought about how much I would usually care.

I mistook your "who gives a f*** about the Draft" and responding to someone as "junior" as belittling the thread.

To answer your question of "who gives a f*** about the Draft" - perhaps the folks posting in the "2019 NHL Draft" thread? Fairly self-evident.

You'll never guess what they are discussing in the Checkers thread!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Y'all so serious.
Well I mean, Fagemo. Five years ago we'd all have been very immature about it but nowadays that's a sure way to get your homophobic ass socially ostracized.

"Yes, he's a player. He's probably a very good player. But maybe not good enough to make it in the League. And that's all what I have to say about the player named Fagemo."

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Lundqvist is another d-man who fits the profile of a late-round tea.

I like the list.

I will make mine.
Since we are towards the bottom, I go with Nolan Foote as our 1st round pick. Safe pick, NHL pedigree, and plays a very smart game.
36th and 37th pick- Choose 2, Hoglander, Beaucage, and Grewe
End of the 2nd- G Sogaard- Huge kid. Project but what goalie isnt.
3rd Zachary Jones- He has a wide range in mocks so if he is still here, I snag him. If not Cade Webber.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I hope we take a goalie with one of our seconds assuming we keep them. Maybe Spencer Knight if he falls to us in the 1st. I know goalies are pretty much a crapshoot in the draft nowadays but we have the assets to gamble if we think it's close between a skater and a goalie as BPA at one of these picks. That Sogaard guy looks good too, another Danish monster but one that we should be able to sign.

Nedeljkovic
Booth
Helvig
LaFontaine
Makiniemi

That's a decent goalie pool but none of them are really standouts. Nedeljkovic is the best internal option currently but we'll find out whether he's NHL starter material by the time the goalie prospect we draft would be ready.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Nedeljkovic
Booth
Helvig
LaFontaine
Makiniemi

That's a decent goalie pool but none of them are really standouts.
Tough crowd.
Ned = AHL goalie of the year.
Helvig = ECHL goalie of the month of March due to 3 shutouts in 4 games.
Booth = 7 games (6-1) 1.14 GAA and .960 in ECHL playoffs.

I still suggested picking two goalies in the coming draft due to the "darts" concept. But I am not sure spending a second on a goalie makes sense because with goalies there are as many bullseyes in the 5th as the 2nd.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't really put much stock into ECHL stats, especially such a small sample size.

My main point is that none of them are excellent prospects if you take into account their whole careers. That doesn't mean they have no potential in the NHL but I don't see top 20ish starter potential in any of them at this point. I think goaltending is still our organization's weakest spot and we have a surplus of top 50ish picks, so I don't think drafting a goalie with one of those picks is much of a gamble. Nedeljkovic was worth a shot in 2014 even if he doesn't work out and we didn't have as many picks that draft or the depth we have now.

That said, I understand if we don't draft a goalie.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't really put much stock into ECHL stats, especially such a small sample size.

My main point is that none of them are excellent prospects if you take into account their whole careers. That doesn't mean they have no potential in the NHL but I don't see top 20ish starter potential in any of them at this point. I think goaltending is still our organization's weakest spot and we have a surplus of top 50ish picks, so I don't think drafting a goalie with one of those picks is much of a gamble. Nedeljkovic was worth a shot in 2014 even if he doesn't work out and we didn't have as many picks that draft or the depth we have now.

That said, I understand if we don't draft a goalie.

I am a big proponent of drafting a goalie every single year. Why not. Rounds 4 through 7, just get someone new in the fold.

Regarding the goalies we already have, it’s still impossible to say. Goalies are so, so weird. Jonathan Quick was in the ECHL at 22. Jack Campbell may now finally be an NHL regular at 27. To me, the tremendous unpredictability is a great reason to just keep throwing darts every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad