Prospect Info: 2019 Draft

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I (and most professional mocks I've seen thus far) have Spencer Knight going before even our projected 1st at #21.

If he's there...I hope we take him. I think he's the real deal and solves a long-term problem of this organization for the next decade plus. There is nobody else I think we could get at #21 that safely could have that much positive impact on this organization.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I am going to do a May update--but given the Fox trade I have some thoughts and was hoping others can contribute.
I think the biggest need for 2-3 years from now will be one more scorer. Williams won't be around forever. Saarela, Gauthier, and Geekie are possibilities already in the system. But it improves the odds to have more darts.
So the Canes will likely have picks 28, 36, and 37. All three should be used on forwards who can put the puck in the net.
It makes sense to diversify the three picks: a combination of a small/shifty goal scorer and big bodied power forward; a right-shot and a left-shot.
Given those considerations the options at the end of the 1st and early in the second seem to be:
Small goal-scorer: Jakob Pelletier or Nils Hoglander (both left shots).
Big left shot: Yegor Afanasyev, Nolan Foote or Samuel Poulin
Big right shot: Brett Leason or Shane Pinto

My current favorite combination is Pelletier, Afanasyev, and Pinto.

Reactions: Unsustainable

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I seem to remember Tulsky had a draft pick value chart that was out there at one point. I'd be interested if they don't use any of the picks to trade for proven players if they focus at all on packaging some of those 2nds to better their 1st, or gain another 1st. I would imagine 36 + 37 can get a decent 1st, or adding any of 36, 37, or our late 2nd to our 1st could move us up a bit if needed. If they really like a guy or two, I'd have no problem with them getting aggressive to secure them.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
We'll definitely have the picks to move up if a team light on picks/prospects really wants more picks and isn't enamored with who's left on the board at their spot. Either way, our draft definitely got more interesting even now that we keep moving down the board with our own picks.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I (and most professional mocks I've seen thus far) have Spencer Knight going before even our projected 1st at #21.

If he's there...I hope we take him. I think he's the real deal and solves a long-term problem of this organization for the next decade plus. There is nobody else I think we could get at #21 that safely could have that much positive impact on this organization.

I think you mean #31

:D

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
We'll definitely have the picks to move up if a team light on picks/prospects really wants more picks and isn't enamored with who's left on the board at their spot. Either way, our draft definitely got more interesting even now that we keep moving down the board with our own picks.

Winnipeg comes to mind. As does Kyle Connor.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Winnipeg comes to mind. As does Kyle Connor.

LV has traded away a bunch of assets over the last 2 seasons. They traded two guys in their top 6 in moves for Patches and Stone that had their farm in the 8th spot. Probably 12-15 range now. Tuch is graduating off the prospect list and Cody Glass should fall off next season.

Karlsson comes to mind. They can replace him with Glass.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Patrik Puistola is the Finnish LW that falls into the Canes #31-37 range. Scorer who sounds right up the Canes alley.

Here's a THN article just posted about his U18 performance:
Ten players who helped their draft stock at the U-18 World Championship - TheHockeyNews
Patrik Puistola, LW (Finland)
Scouts have had mixed reactions to Puistola’s play this season, but his five goals for a Finnish team that struggled to score were impossible to ignore. He was one of the only forwards who made an impact in a 4-2 loss to the Czech Republic, a game that meant the Finns had to beat Switzerland in the final game to avoid heading to the relegation round. He scored twice against the Swiss. Puistola had more than a point per game in the second Finnish League and was often one of the only players to actively create offense each game for the Finns. The skilled winger will likely land in the second round in June, but his goal-scoring ability could move him closer to the start of the round than the end.

accompanying highlights:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Nils Hoglander will be one of those high 2nd round picks.
Please let's.

11778_1_front.jpg

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I am going to do a May update--but given the Fox trade I have some thoughts and was hoping others can contribute.
I think the biggest need for 2-3 years from now will be one more scorer. Williams won't be around forever. Saarela, Gauthier, and Geekie are possibilities already in the system. But it improves the odds to have more darts.
So the Canes will likely have picks 28, 36, and 37. All three should be used on forwards who can put the puck in the net.
It makes sense to diversify the three picks: a combination of a small/shifty goal scorer and big bodied power forward; a right-shot and a left-shot.
Given those considerations the options at the end of the 1st and early in the second seem to be:
Small goal-scorer: Jakob Pelletier or Nils Hoglander (both left shots).
Big left shot: Yegor Afanasyev, Nolan Foote or Samuel Poulin
Big right shot: Brett Leason or Shane Pinto

My current favorite combination is Pelletier, Afanasyev, and Pinto.

I like Tomasino and McMichael should either be there when we pick in the 1st. I'll deviate a bit, I'd be happy for us to pick the best defender available with our 3rd second rounder.

I seem to remember Tulsky had a draft pick value chart that was out there at one point. I'd be interested if they don't use any of the picks to trade for proven players if they focus at all on packaging some of those 2nds to better their 1st, or gain another 1st. I would imagine 36 + 37 can get a decent 1st, or adding any of 36, 37, or our late 2nd to our 1st could move us up a bit if needed. If they really like a guy or two, I'd have no problem with them getting aggressive to secure them.

More darts are better than fewer. If we could package a pick, prospect, and/or player to add a higher end scorer, then, I'm all for that. Packaging picks to move up a few slots in the draft, given that we're not in the top 10 lessens our overall chances of finding quality players. I'd rather have more opportunity than some misperceived better opportunity.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
More darts are better than fewer. If we could package a pick, prospect, and/or player to add a higher end scorer, then, I'm all for that. Packaging picks to move up a few slots in the draft, given that we're not in the top 10 lessens our overall chances of finding quality players. I'd rather have more opportunity than some misperceived better opportunity.

Yeah, not a fan of moving up, unless it's a very specific instance of a player we have ranked much higher on our list and a low cost of moving up. Generally speaking, outside of the top handful of players, nobody *knows* anything.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Yeah, not a fan of moving up, unless it's a very specific instance of a player we have ranked much higher on our list and a low cost of moving up. Generally speaking, outside of the top handful of players, nobody *knows* anything.

I'm pretty much the opposite. We have a deep system, but past Necas...who is top-end?

We don't need more bullets, we're at the point we're wasting good D specs (Fleury, McKeown) for lack of opportunity and we're close to being there up-front...we need to find a way to add more potential elite talent to come up on ELCs when our core guys get pricey.

It's a waste to spend picks on established talent who will again be pricey and shorten the window. What we should be doing is moving picks to gain shots at drafting more top-end specs.

If we really pick 3 times in the span of about 15 picks between 25-40...I'm thinking DW failed to find the right opportunity to improve the Canes. (Or that it wasn't there...but that seems unlikely.)

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I'm pretty much the opposite. We have a deep system, but past Necas...who is top-end?

We don't need more bullets, we're at the point we're wasting good D specs (Fleury, McKeown) for lack of opportunity and we're close to being there up-front...we need to find a way to add more potential elite talent to come up on ELCs when our core guys get pricey.

It's a waste to spend picks on established talent who will again be pricey and shorten the window. What we should be doing is moving picks to gain shots at drafting more top-end specs.

If we really pick 3 times in the span of about 15 picks between 25-40...I'm thinking DW failed to find the right opportunity to improve the Canes. (Or that it wasn't there...but that seems unlikely.)
The thing is that other than the top 5 or so picks its kind of a crap shoot at knowing who is going to be elite (its also a crap shoot for the top 5 picks, but to less of an extent). If we packaged our 1st and 2 early seconds to move up we go to about 15OV at best. I'd rather have have more darts than one slightly heavier one.

That being said if an opportunity comes up to move some of those picks for an established or ready to break in player that fits the plan / system by all means pull the trigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->