Prospect Info: 2019 Draft

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Always possible, but I’m of the mind that they’ll need to add 1 of their first 3 picks in rd 1&2 to a D or prospect to bring in the expected scoring help.

Of course, maybe they can swing a 1-1 D for F deal or reasonably think they have a shot at a guy like Dzingel in UFA, making all 4 picks would be a great for the prospect pool.
I expect they’ll want to use the picks for trades to sweeten the deals, but like last year when we were waiting for the extra firsts we’d get from Skinner and Faulk at the draft, it will fail to happen.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
That seems like the only down side to it, there's just so much information that it can get in to overload territory. The quality of information you get though it's well worth the price of you are patient enough to go through it all.
I might bite this year, just purely out of curiosity about the information in there. Plus I usually have a decent idea of what "tier" we're drafting from with the #5-12 pick, so there's only a handful of guys that really need to be researched. Late first round though is more like a "pool" of players to pick from. And for some reason, being a masochist (Engineer, NC State fan, Canes fan, Panthers fan, nerd), I want to research and get excited about a player we inevitably won't pick, just so I can be disappointed!! lol

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I still like the idea of drafting a goalie with one of our top 4 picks. We're in the perfect spot with the depth in our system to swing for the fences for a #1 goalie prospect. I know a lot of people aren't fans of using high picks on goalies anymore though.

I like the idea of drafting a goalie or two somewhere in rounds 4, 5, and/or 6. Especially given that 1 or 2 of Isaiah Saville, Trent Miner, Colten Ellis, and Dustin Wolf will be there then.

Other than that, I'd be down with picking any or all of Bobby Brink (even with #28), Raphael Lavoie, John Beecher, Albin Grewe, and Marcus Kallionkieli in the first 2 rounds.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I like trying to get three different types of players considering there are three picks in a 10 pick range.
  1. Smaller player with tons of skill (Hoglander, Pelletier, or Rees--Brink would be in this group but most mocks have him going prior to 28)
  2. Power forward type (Poulin, Afanasyev, or Beecher)
  3. Risk/reward scoring threat (Puistola, Fagemo, Legare)
In all honesty as I have been thinking about it the one option I don't like much is going for a center (McMichael, Nikolayev, Suzuki) who isn't likely to be a 60-point player. The Canes already have Geekie, Luostarinen, Drury.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Every time I think about this, it makes me smile...we have 5 picks in the Top 100 of the next two drafts. We have 20 draft picks over the next two drafts. That, my friends, is currency. I can't imagine making all of those selections. I can imagine an incredibly interesting set of drafts where we do some serious wheeling and dealing.

Still, here was my first effort at the draft thingee:

#28 Bobby Brink RW
#36 Raphael Lavoie C
#37 Nils Hoglander LW
#59 Moritz Seider D
#90 Maxim Cajkovic RW
#121 Trent Miner G
#152 Antti Saarela C
#181 Roope Taponen G
#183 Luca Burzan RW
#217 Christopher Giroday D

I had some better drafts in the few other times I ran it (Trevor Zegras fell to #28 in one instance). Bobby Brink was on almost all of my drafts.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Can anyone detect a theme?

upload_2019-6-10_9-31-10.png

From Fischer's 8th Annual Mock Draft on the Hockey Writers

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I have spent too much time going through Draft material (Pronman, Black Book, DraftAnalyst, Brock, youtube) and have decided, all in good fun, that the Canes are taking Jamieson Rees at #28. He is ranked #30-50 in most rankings I've seen.

Upside:
- Unanimously labeled as one of the top competitors in the Draft. "Throwback player". "Treats every shift like it's his last". "Relentless pressure"
- High-level anticipation and IQ to makes plays both in-tight and with speed. Anticipation allows him to use his breakaway speed to create chances.
- Bring physicality in the dirty areas and the slot but can also avoid hits
- One of Canada's top players at the WJC-18 this year when playing with high-end talent. Some believe he outplayed top-10 picks like Cozens, Krebs, and Newhook.

Downside:
- Only 5'10.25", 182 lbs (combine height/weight)
- Suffered lacerated kidney last year and an ankle injury the year before. Fair to question if his body can hold up with the way he plays
- Less than ppg last year in the OHL (32 points in 37GP) and zero points in 4 Playoff games

Most common comparison is Travis Konecny or Robby Fabbri. Rees has a lot of the same elements that I believe the Canes liked about Jack Drury and is ranked similarly. He's a boom/bust prospect as his impact will be tied to his health.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I have spent too much time going through Draft material (Pronman, Black Book, DraftAnalyst, Brock, youtube) and have decided, all in good fun, that the Canes are taking Jamieson Rees at #28. He is ranked #30-50 in most rankings I've seen.

Upside:
- Unanimously labeled as one of the top competitors in the Draft. "Throwback player". "Treats every shift like it's his last". "Relentless pressure"
- High-level anticipation and IQ to makes plays both in-tight and with speed. Anticipation allows him to use his breakaway speed to create chances.
- One of Canada's top players at the WJC-18 this year when playing with high-end talent. Some believe he outplayed top-10 picks like Cozens, Krebs, and Newhook.

Downside:
- Only 5'10.25", 182 lbs (combined height/weight)
- Suffered lacerated kidney last year and an ankle injury the year before. Has had 2 knee surgeries already. Fair to question if his body can hold up with the way he plays
- Less than ppg last year in the OHL (32 points in 37GP) and zero points in 4 Playoff games

Most common comparison is Travis Konecny or Robby Fabbri. Rees has a lot of the same elements that I believe the Canes liked about Jack Drury and is ranked similarly. He's a boom/bust prospect as his impact will be tied to his health.

Seems like a guy they may like. But also seems like a guy that we could get with our late 2nd rounder.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Seems like a guy they may like. But also seems like a guy that we could get with our late 2nd rounder.

Possibly, but the Canes haven't hesitated to reach for their guy in the past few Drafts. Drury (ranked #65), Loustarinen (ranked #56), Martin (ranked #69), and Aho (ranked #75+) were all taken 14-40 spots earlier than Bob McKenzie had them ranked. Kuokkanen has been the only Canes 2nd round pick taken near his ranking.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
As I look toward the draft, there are a couple of deep sleeper picks that I like. Dustin Wolf is my sleeper goalie prospect. He's probably available in the 6th or even 7th round. As far as late round defensemen, I like Cole Moberg and Christopher Giroday as options, again in the 6th and 7th rounds. Other guys I've started researching are Kevin Wall, Luka Burzan, both RW options. I've also looked at centerman Petr Cajka.

One guy I'm high on for the 3rd or 4th round (and I think @42 jerks might have mentioned him as well) is Ronnie Attard, a double-overager, who put up 30 goals from the back end this season. Sure he's older and stronger, but this seems more like a guy who has "figured something out".

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Upside:

Downside:
- Only 5'10.25", 182 lbs (combined height/weight)
- Suffered lacerated kidney last year and an ankle injury the year before. Has had 2 knee surgeries already. Fair to question if his body can hold up with the way he plays

I've actually had him rated pretty high as a target we may like based on what I've read as well. I almost voted him in as an other choice in mock draft poll, but knew that'd be super useless since it'd be the only vote for him as a write in.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I have spent too much time going through Draft material (Pronman, Black Book, DraftAnalyst, Brock, youtube) and have decided, all in good fun, that the Canes are taking Jamieson Rees at #28.
I like that pick as Rees is similar to Drury but with speed. The injury history might be the only reason to pass at 28.

One guy I'm high on for the 3rd or 4th round (and I think @42 jerks might have mentioned him as well) is Ronnie Attard, a double-overager, who put up 30 goals from the back end this season. Sure he's older and stronger, but this seems more like a guy who has "figured something out".
Attard's scoring is impressive as is his size. The fact that his scoring quadrupled while his penalties were cut in half suggests that something clicked.
However, his teammate Zachary Jones entices me more. He is much smaller, but what I saw was one of the best stick-handling D-men in the draft.
Boom or bust for every pick please.
Totally agree this should be the strategy this year. As far as players who should be available with the Canes first four picks I would rank the boom factor:
Fagemo
Puistola
Hoglander
Cajkovic
Pelletier
Leason
Teply
Legare

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
We have to pick Puistola.

Best Finn in u18, he also had the 3rd highest G/gp behind Hughes and Caufield.

Probably the best u18 season ever in Finnish 2nd tier men's league. (Not much to compare him tho because prospects rarely play there).

To compare him to other early 2nd pick from last year, Jesse Ylönen (#35 Habs selection) had 27p in 48gp in his draft year, while Puistola scored 26 in 22 games.

Also was 2nd in g/gp on his team while the leader played only 11 games.

IMO he is the most underrated prospect and I'm afraid he may not be available even with the #28 pick.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
i know it's never wise to draft based upon your system depth, but if there was ever a year to be aggressive about moving up on a player you were convinced could help you then now is that time. our prospect depth is so competitive right now that we might actually be in a situation where a player exits our system and goes on to be an impact player elsewhere. it might be time to start looking at quality over quantity, which is something new for this franchise considering how frequently rutherford used our picks to acquire veterans at the expense of our farm.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
i know it's never wise to draft based upon your system depth, but if there was ever a year to be aggressive about moving up on a player you were convinced could help you then now is that time. our prospect depth is so competitive right now that we might actually be in a situation where a player exits our system and goes on to be an impact player elsewhere. it might be time to start looking at quality over quantity, which is something new for this franchise considering how frequently rutherford used our picks to acquire veterans at the expense of our farm.

I agree with your point, but trading up in drafts is almost always a losing proposition. You'd almost always rather have the two (or three) guys that were picked with the picks you traded, and obviously, there are just *no* guarantees with any player, no matter how highly you have him rated.

We *have* to do something, though. I'm worried our NHL lineup is going to be basically the same (plus Necas and Bean), and our prospects will have no real chance to play (aside from Necas and Bean).

Dundon hasn't been great with making news this offseason. He hasn't even re-signed Forslund and/or Tripp. I'm sure he'll fix that soon. I still expect a major trade.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Only player I'd look to move up for is a falling Podkolzin. If he reaches the mid/late teens then I'd be happy for the Canes to pay up to make a move on him. Would love to see a Svechnikov-Podkolzin duo a couple years from now.

Hoping that Dundon and the team have some news lined up for when this series is over. The Cup Finals scheduling has been flaming garbage. I moderately cared at the beginning but it has been so long between games that I just want it to be done at this point. Painfully stale.

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
Only player I'd look to move up for is a falling Podkolzin. If he reaches the mid/late teens then I'd be happy for the Canes to pay up to make a move on him. Would love to see a Svechnikov-Podkolzin duo a couple years from now.

Hoping that Dundon and the team have some news lined up for when this series is over. The Cup Finals scheduling has been flaming garbage. I moderately cared at the beginning but it has been so long between games that I just want it to be done at this point. Painfully stale.

Yeah we got swept. But the season will end tomorrow, 27 days after the eastern conference finals ended. That is absurd.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I have spent too much time going through Draft material (Pronman, Black Book, DraftAnalyst, Brock, youtube) and have decided, all in good fun, that the Canes are taking Jamieson Rees at #28....

Downside:
- Only 5'10.25", 182 lbs (combine height/weight)

So he's undersized at pretty much exactly the same size as Sidney Crosby was drafted at? Kane was 5'9", 160. That was light. 182 is a very reasonable weight- remember that he's 18 and will naturally add some bulk later too. And being 2 inches shorter than the average NHLer (right around 6 foot) isn't exactly in Marty St. Louis territory. And even that kind of height- remember seeing Marty's HoF induction speech?

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
I like that pick as Rees is similar to Drury but with speed. The injury history might be the only reason to pass at 28.
Jamieson Rees:
Speed merchant with skill and a nasty streak. I've seen him play for the Sarnia Sting.
Is Rees 'boom or bust' because of his injury history?
Perhaps, but this is a player who gives 110% every shift no matter what the situation.
His skill and speed is in the mold of the 'modern day NHLer'
Go get him Don!!

Attard's scoring is impressive as is his size. The fact that his scoring quadrupled while his penalties were cut in half suggests that something clicked.
However, his teammate Zachary Jones entices me more. He is much smaller, but what I saw was one of the best stick-handling D-men in the draft.

Totally agree this should be the strategy this year. As far as players who should be available with the Canes first four picks I would rank the boom factor:
Fagemo
Puistola
Hoglander
Cajkovic
Pelletier
Leason
Teply
Legare

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad