Prospect Info: 2019 Draft

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm a middle-aged man and I may legitimately cry if we don't get him. That's the last time I do 100 hours of research on a bunch of freakin' 17-year-olds.

If you end up seeking help, be extremely wary on your choices on words when describing your problem.

"I spend limitless hours online" is a no-go.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If you end up seeking help, be extremely wary on your choices on words when describing your problem.

hansenlol.jpg

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Between that and his little blue pill post a few months ago, I'm starting to get worried.

Hang on a minute, I've got the clear my browser history of all these photos of 17-year-old boys.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
With more information from McKenzie, Larry Fisher at The Hockey Writers, and MSP's "100 hours," I am ready for an updated Hurricanes Mock with commentary.

1st: Nick Robertson--I agree with the analysis that was offered earlier.
2nd (36): Nils Hoglander (according to McKenzie's ranking he will be available if the Canes take Robertson in the first). The Canes go for two high-upside smallish wingers. Don't worry size is on the way.
2nd (37): Egor Afanasyev--both McKenzie and Fisher have him around this spot. He is big (6'3", 204), a decent skater, and considered to have some scoring upside. Just can't see the Canes picking three small wingers.
2nd (59): Samuel Bolduc--the most physically imposing (6'4", 209) of the d-men available with this pick. A strong skater who was among the best in strength tests at the NHL combine. A little torn between Bolduc and Simon Lundmark. Bolduc gets the slight edge because the LDs in the system (Bean and Sellgren) are trending smaller.
3rd: Maxim Cajkovic--a scoring, right-shot winger who some had in the top 40 earlier in the year. McKenzie has him ranked exactly 90. If he is available, then the Canes take another boom-or-bust shot. If Cajkovic isn't still on the board, which I think is likely, I like taking Zac Jones who reminds me of a left-shot version of Adam Fox.
4th: Ryan Siedem--a right-shot defenseman who was solid in the USHL playing first-line minutes and being used on both special teams. My model adds the most value after the first two rounds and Siedem is identified as one of the better values.
5th: Roman Basran--the goalie I like best outside the top two of Knight and Sogaard. Basran has decent size (6'2", 192) and has excelled in limited best-on-best situations in addition to being one of the youngest goalies available.
6th: Martin Lang--the youngest player available in the draft as Lang has a 9/15 birthday. He is a right-shot Czech winger who has decent numbers in international play. A boom-or-bust pick in the truest since.
6th: Alexander Lundqvist--another PSF favorite. Lundqvist is a left-shot d-man with good size (6'2", 183) and great bloodlines.
7th: Grayson Ladd--a second right-shot defenseman who could be a late round steal. If Ladd is gone, Thomas Pelletier is another right-shot d-man who has sleeper potential.

Positional/shot breakdown:
3 left-shot wingers (Robertson, Hoglander, Afanasyev)
2 right-shot wingers (Cajkovic, Lang)
2 left-shot D-men (Bolduc, Lundqvist)
2 right-shot D-men (Siedem, Ladd)
1 goalie (Basran)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
How much would it cost to get to 15th?

Draft pick value charts vary widely from one person to another. This one says 28 + a 4th would be equivalent value to 15. This one says 28 + 36 wouldn't quite be enough value for 15.

If MTL is willing to move back, I'm guessing they will want a 2nd or equivalent prospect at a minimum to drop 13 spots.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
TSN's McKenzie put out his final rankings on players entering the draft and they had Knight as the 12th best player. I was under the belief that Colorado was going to take him at 16, but Florida might be in play at 13. Just now I saw that all three writers at NHL.com's mock draft chose Knight at Florida's pick. That makes me sad because I really wanted him from the beginning.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I'm not so sure I'd trade up to get a goalie...they really are unpredictable voodoo unless you're almost 100% sure he'll be the next Vasilevsky...or Carter Hart. You could be trading up for the next Montoya...

Isn't this the year we're supposed to be taking real chances to get an impact player? At some point we have to try a bold move. Could you imagine in the best case scenario having our defense and a legit #1 that isn't bought in free agency? I am just dreaming here but we could focus on offense for a long time having the defense and goaltending taken care of.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The largest drop in the 1st round dating back to 05 was 10 spots (Columbus from 16 to 26 in 2009). The compensation was a high 2nd (#37), a high 3rd (#62), a high 4th (#92) with a mid 3rd coming back the other way (#77). The Islanders then used that 3rd and a 7th to climb up to #12 to grab de Haan.

2009 NHL Entry Draft Pending Transactions

Logistically, the Canes would have to find a team in the upper teens willing to drop back a significant amount of spots ahead of time just to be in a position to trade up the rest of the way on the floor. All of that maneuvering will come at a healthy cost up to the entire lot of 2nd and 3rd round picks. They'd have to be really high on someone to go in that direction.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm not so sure I'd trade up to get a goalie...they really are unpredictable voodoo unless you're almost 100% sure he'll be the next Vasilevsky...or Carter Hart. You could be trading up for the next Montoya...
I agree. If he falls to our first, take him. Otherwise, take BPA and target a goalie later Søgaard looks pretty good and may be there at our 2nd.

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Just did fanspeak mock draft. That system of theirs is so poor. I drafted 28th Caufield, 36th Knight 37th Heinola and 58th Seider. I wanted to draft forwards but sort of work out like this. Btw, Kakko went 3rd Turcotte 16th and Puistola 27th

I'm bringing back 'draftwired' next year. You guys deserve better than this, just do me a favor and support me with a subscription. I do NO ads, I deliver ALL the ranking lists and it's simply a superior product. If you did a draftwired draft after using fanspeak - you'd throw that she-att away

Led Tasso

Jun 2, 2016
I'm bringing back 'draftwired' next year. You guys deserve better than this, just do me a favor and support me with a subscription. I do NO ads, I deliver ALL the ranking lists and it's simply a superior product. If you did a draftwired draft after using fanspeak - you'd throw that she-att away
I will subscribe. Can you setup an email list to remind us when to subscribe for next year?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad