2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
That’s ridiculous. That right side is just bananas.

I actually expect Harley to be picked before us. If the forwards are gone that I like I’m intrigued by Villie Heinola. I haven’t seen much of him playing but from all the reports I’ve read he has a great skill set.

4 more days. Very excited.

I think one of these guys will be our pick.

Suzuki
Tomasino
McMichael
Poulin
Harley
Bjornfot
Heinola

I'd be extremely happy with any of those guys at 23. One guy I'd add is Jakob Pelletier, really like him. Though he's played LW this year, he has played at center as well. But there's a lot of guys rated 20-40 that the Isles can take at 23. My preference is the centers, one of Tomasino, Suzuki or McMichael (that's my order of preference).

Reactions: IslandersFan17

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'd be extremely happy with any of those guys at 23. One guy I'd add is Jakob Pelletier, really like him. Though he's played LW this year, he has played at center as well. But there's a lot of guys rated 20-40 that the Isles can take at 23. My preference is the centers, one of Tomasino, Suzuki or McMichael (that's my order of preference).

He’s one of my favorite players in the draft!!! I just put the names of guys who I think are likely to be the pick not necessarily who I’d pick.

With Pelletier many feel and I agree that he projects better at center long term. He reminds me of Brayden Point.

For example, I would take Pelletier over McMichael.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He’s one of my favorite players in the draft!!! I just put the names of guys who I think are likely to be the pick not necessarily who I’d pick.

With Pelletier many feel and I agree that he projects better at center long term. He reminds me of Brayden Point.

The more and more I think about it, I don't think trading down would be a bad play if certain players are off the board at #23.

I covet Tomasino and Harley. If neither is available, I'm good with pretty much all of those names you listed and a few others that I like I'm on my own.

If we could somehow get Carolina's two B2B 2nd rounders for our 1st and 2nd, I would be happy if we could walk away with whichever forward drops (thrilled if it were McMichael) and I am REALLY intrigued by Vladislav Kolyachonok.

The Isles did rock it on B2B picks last year, this would be the sequel.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
There is no way I would trade Beau to move up 8 spots. This is not the 2015 draft.

With no 3rd or 4th and a not so stellar class, I would prefer to just stick at #23 and see how the cards fall.

Didn't say I would do it, just responding to the post that said our late 2nd was enough; it isn't.

I would offer Beau and Wilde and the Calgary 2nd for Boeser if they were inclined to want Wilde bad enough though . . .

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Beau only tips the scales to move up a handful of slots? Either you think this draft is that good or you think Beau is that underwhelming

Neither, but it's closer than the Calgary 2nd to do so, which is the post I was responding to. I'm not as big a Beau fan as others are here. I'd certainly do Beau, Wilde and the Calgary 2nd for Boeser, for example.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The more and more I think about it, I don't think trading down would be a bad play if certain players are off the board at #23.

I covet Tomasino and Harley. If neither is available, I'm good with pretty much all of those names you listed and a few others that I like I'm on my own.

If we could somehow get Carolina's two B2B 2nd rounders for our 1st and 2nd, I would be happy if we could walk away with whichever forward drops (thrilled if it were McMichael) and I am REALLY intrigued by Vladislav Kolyachonok.

I’ve had this thought as well. 20-50 or so seem interchangeable.

Unless you feel there is a guy available at #23 that’s a tier above what’s on the board, you can sort of hedge your bets and try to get 2 guys.

Kolychanok is the victim of a horrendous team. We saw what a bad team can do to a defensemans stat line with Dobson this year on the Titan. Dobson is probably the best defensive prospect outside of the NHL right now. Not saying Koly is that level but I’ve seen him play and he’s not all that different from Harley imo. Maybe a tad less offensive but he can skate, defend, and has good size.

I’d rather walk away with say

Pelletier/McMichael + Kolyachonok than just Suzuki.

Here are some names of guys that would be late first/second round picks that could be had.

Forwards

Pelletier
McMichael
Lavoie
Poulin

John Beecher
Bobby Brink
Jamieson Rees
Nick Roberson
Albin Grewe
Brayden Tracey
Robert Mastrosimone( Long Island born with filthy hands and skill)

Defense

Kolyachonok
Bjornfot
Heinola
Vlasic
Matthew Robertson
Ryan Johnson(sleeper)
Lassi Thompson
Mikko Kokkonen

Any combo of these guys would be pretty solid I think. Some combos better than others obviously.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I’ve had this thought as well. 20-50 or so seem interchangeable.

Unless you feel there is a guy available at #23 that’s a tier above what’s on the board, you can sort of hedge your bets and try to get 2 guys.

Kolychanok is the victim of a horrendous team. We saw what a bad team can do to a defensemans stat line with Dobson this year on the Titan. Dobson is probably the best defensive prospect outside of the NHL right now. Not saying Koly is that level but I’ve seen him play and he’s not all that different from Harley imo. Maybe a tad less offensive but he can skate, defend, and has good size.

I’d rather walk away with say

Pelletier/McMichael + Kolyachonok than just Suzuki.

Here are some names of guys that would be late first/second round picks that could be had.

Forwards

Pelletier
McMichael
Lavoie
Poulin

John Beecher
Bobby Brink
Jamieson Rees
Nick Roberson
Albin Grewe
Brayden Tracey
Robert Mastrosimone( Long Island born with filthy hands and skill)

Defense

Kolyachonok
Bjornfot
Heinola
Vlasic
Matthew Robertson
Ryan Johnson(sleeper)
Lassi Thompson
Mikko Kokkonen

Any combo of these guys would be pretty solid I think. Some combos better than others obviously.

It scares me sometimes how in sync you and I can get. :)

Reactions: SI90

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Neither, but it's closer than the Calgary 2nd to do so, which is the post I was responding to. I'm not as big a Beau fan as others are here. I'd certainly do Beau, Wilde and the Calgary 2nd for Boeser, for example.
Yeah, and Vancouver would hang up if that was the offer...

If it costs Beau to move up in this draft, than you absolutely dont move up.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Newsflash:
Take a look at the history of trades to get back in the first round.
Our 1st ALONE for those B2B 2nds would be enough, if Carolina sees a guy at 23 who they'd really like.

Let's not get overzealous here.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Newsflash:
Take a look at the history of trades to get back in the first round.
Our 1st ALONE for those B2B 2nds would be enough, if Carolina sees a guy at 23 who they'd really like.

Let's not get overzealous here.

Forgive me Chapin, I am not wise in the arts of draft pick values as you.

Even better, would Carolina be interested in that? That I don't know.

scott99

May 13, 2005

He may have more offensive upside than McMichael. Both good players.

Reactions: SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Forgive me Chapin, I am not wise in the arts of draft pick values as you.

Even better, would Carolina be interested in that? That I don't know.

It's hard to tell if that's something Carolina would do. Can't see it happening before the draft. It would thoroughly depend on if there was someone there at 23 who Carolina REALLY wants and if the Isles have a small handful of players they value considerably, several of which they feel would be at 36/37.

What I do know is that Snow often paid pretty dearly just to move up 4-5 spaces to get back to pick 28, something he did for Nelson, Ho-Sand, AND Beauvillier, if I remember correctly. Snow also dished out 4 picks to go from 28 to 12 (actually 5, in two separate moves, but one had been acquired in the first move, and passed along in the second) when he was all goo-goo, ga-ga for de Haan.

Lamoriello is certainly NOT Snow.

Tampa has also been a club fairly keen at dropping from the end of the first to gain more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Simply can't argue with some of those 2nd, 3rd, and later rounders they've had coming in the past few years. If you trust your scouts to know "future NHLer" when they see one, then you want to give them plenty of ammunition.

Does Lamoriello take that approach this year, especially in light of our lack of a 3rd and 4th?

I know I would, because I believe there's lots of interchangeability in that 15-50 range. I also see a handful of kids, several being Russian, who I believe will one day prove to be first round talents, but who probably aren't going in the first round. And if they go before we'd - in this particular scenario - be picking, then that would mean that some of those options we expect around 23 will be pushed back anyways. At least the chances would be high.

Alas, I ultimately think that, if we're actually picking, then we'll just sit pretty and watch the dominos fall, likely taking a guy who falls in our lap. If not, then we might just drop from say 23 to say 26 and reclaim a 3rd or 4th rounder in the process.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For those of you know the draft prospects this year much better than I, hopefully your philosophy is always "take best player available." No reason to force a center prospect if there's a future top-4 defenseman/captain material still on the board at 23.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
For those of you know the draft prospects this year much better than I, hopefully your philosophy is always "take best player available." No reason to force a center prospect if there's a future top-4 defenseman/captain material still on the board at 23.
Always, always, always take BPA. The only time I would factor in need is if you had two guys rated neck and neck. I mean literally almost exactly the same, but one fills a present need, than you can factor that in. Otherwise it always has to be BPA.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Always, always, always take BPA. The only time I would factor in need is if you had two guys rated neck and neck. I mean literally almost exactly the same, but one fills a present need, than you can factor that in. Otherwise it always has to be BPA.

After the top-15, they're all kind of rated very similarly up to 50. While BPA is great, need does play a role too. The rather interchangeability of 15-50 is making me rethink trading down if my crushes are gone.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Amen brother.

That said I rarely think that 2 prospects are "neck and neck." Usually there's something to separate them - Hockey sense, work ethic, something...

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
After the top-15, they're all kind of rated very similarly up to 50. While BPA is great, need does play a role too. The rather interchangeability of 15-50 is making me rethink trading down if my crushes are gone.

But...

When we look back 5 years from now that 15-50 range is going to be so different with tons of misses. That's why I keep harping that you need the best possible scouts in the world to be able to see 5 years ahead as best as they can.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I can almost guarantee you that Lavoie won't be there at #23. He had a MONSTER playoffs that pushed him into the top 20, MAYBE the top 15.
We'll see. Don't underestimate the appeal of all those centers though. ;)

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I think "trade-up" deals are almost always picks. I've seen places where they put a value on a deal like that, but maybe to go from 23OA to 15OA would probably take our 2nd round pick?
id be out with out first 2nd and first next year if we could walk away with a top C like cozens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad