2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
id be out with out first 2nd and first next year if we could walk away with a top C like cozens

And you'd probably be every other GMs FAVORITE GM. By a country mile. Yep, you'd win all GM popularity contests.

Because everyone and their mother already knows that the 2020 draft is going to be one for the ages.

Other than Hughes and Kaako, it's not looking like any of this year's top 5-7 will be able to hold the jock straps of next year's top 5-7.

By the way, "id be out with out first 2nd and first next year..." is a real tough piece of poetry. Took a while to see what you were getting at.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm feeling that Bobby Brink is going to be the guy that's left for us at #23. We OK with that?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
One thought from a Penguin offer on the Trade Board and a Devils beat reporter:

NJ has 3 2nd round picks and if they take Hughes then maybe Pavel Zacha is on the block according to the beat reporter. The trade thread was their #21 for the 3 Devil's picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

How about #23 and Ho-Sang for #34, Zacha and #61?

Knight could still be there at 34 and if not you will have someone fall there we would like. McMichael, Pelletier, Rees, etc. are possibly there. And two late 2nds gives us a good shot too. Zacha is a late bloomer with size who is RFA and can be signed inexpensively to slot in the 3rd C with nice upside. Still only 22 years old and has greatly improved his faceoff numbers the last 3 seasons. Was probably rushed by the Devils and there's upside still to be developed. He could end up being just like Filp but cheaper this season.

If Koivula continues to improve one of him or Zacha can maybe shift to wing. Either way it seems like another way to re-stock the center position for us.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
And you'd probably be every other GMs FAVORITE GM. By a country mile. Yep, you'd win all GM popularity contests.

Because everyone and their mother already knows that the 2020 draft is going to be one for the ages.

Other than Hughes and Kaako, it's not looking like any of this year's top 5-7 will be able to hold the jock straps of next year's top 5-7.

By the way, "id be out with out first 2nd and first next year..." is a real tough piece of poetry. Took a while to see what you were getting at.

Maybe on offense, but Byram certainly would fit in well in 2020 too.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am hoping at least one of Harley, Tomasino or Suzuki is there when the Isles draft at #23. Although if Kaliyev slides to the 15-20 range, maybe Lou makes the move up a few spots. But it should be fun and I hope the Isles go BPA, even if there is a dire need to restock at center. Hopefully a few teams reach for position need and a gem or two drops.

Reactions: scott99

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013

I just think a top flight C prospect would do more for our teams future then whoever we get at 23 this year and whoever we get in the (hopefully) late 20's next year

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm feeling that Bobby Brink is going to be the guy that's left for us at #23. We OK with that?

Only saw him in U18. Little guy but was electric. I wish I saw more of him though. He’s consistently ranked asa first round talent though by many scouts.

If he’s deemed BPA so be it but for me he most likely wouldn’t be at that spot.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Only saw him in U18. Little guy but was electric. I wish I saw more of him though. He’s consistently ranked asa first round talent though by many scouts.

If he’s deemed BPA so be it but for me he most likely wouldn’t be at that spot.
His skating is very troubling to me. Like most criticized Iskhakov skating when he got drafted from what I have seen of Brink he’s a much worse skater then Iskhakov. His production and skill are impressive but I would be very leary of drafting Brink.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
His skating is very troubling to me. Like most criticized Iskhakov skating when he got drafted from what I have seen of Brink he’s a much worse skater then Iskhakov. His production and skill are impressive but I would be very leary of drafting Brink.

You want your little guys to be tremendous skaters.

I didn’t see Cammaratta bad in Brink though.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

scott99

May 13, 2005
I am hoping at least one of Harley, Tomasino or Suzuki is there when the Isles draft at #23. Although if Kaliyev slides to the 15-20 range, maybe Lou makes the move up a few spots. But it should be fun and I hope the Isles go BPA, even if there is a dire need to restock at center. Hopefully a few teams reach for position need and a gem or two drops.
I agree, BPA regardless of position, though I would love land a good young talented center. That being said, it would be pretty awesome if they walked away with Kaliyev or Harley.

I saw a mock, before the Rangers traded #20, that had them landing Kakko at #2 and Kaliyev at #20, that would've been one sick haul.

One guy who might fall is Vasili Podkolzin, not to our range, but possibly out of the top 10.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I agree, BPA regardless of position, though I would love land a good young talented center. That being said, it would be pretty awesome if they walked away with Kaliyev or Harley.

I saw a mock, before the Rangers traded #20, that had them landing Kakko at #2 and Kaliyev at #20, that would've been one sick haul.

One guy who might fall is Vasili Podkolzin, not to our range, but possibly out of the top 10.

Scott, did you get the Black book this year?

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
You want your little guys to be tremendous skaters.

I didn’t see Cammaratta bad in Brink though.
One guy I would not mind is Hoglander. The Redline report called him the best skater in the draft with lots of skill. Watching his highlights he reminds me of Hagelin.

Reactions: SI90

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
One guy I would not mind is Hoglander. The Redline report called him the best skater in the draft with lots of skill. Watching his highlights he reminds me of Hagelin.

While at the end of the day getting somebody at the level of Hagelin with the 23rd pick would be considered a good pick, I rather swing for the fences and pick the player no matter what position will be star. Yes I know the chances of going for a boom or bust player will likely bust, but you win with cheap top end talent, not creating an environment of developing NHL Quality players(ie middle 6 forwards or bottom 4 defense).

The only person that projects as a middle 6 player I would go for is a center because good 3rd line centers have as much value as 2nd line wingers

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I’ve never got either but they say Mark Edwards Black Book is really thorough and has a lot of material.
Ye i have read that as well but there is plenty of free info on the internet and other draft books out there that are much cheaper. I always get hockey news draft preview as well.

Reactions: SI90

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
I’m hoping for Harley, Suzuki or a trade back to acquire more mid round picks. Harley seems like a surefire top 4 guy imo and imagine our defensive core in 4 years when they all develop. I like Suzuki’s skating and think he’ll cap out as a middle six center. And I wouldn’t mind trading back because after the top 15 or 20 it’s very interchangeable. Also because we lack a 3rd and 4th.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I’m hoping for Harley, Suzuki or a trade back to acquire more mid round picks. Harley seems like a surefire top 4 guy imo and imagine our defensive core in 4 years when they all develop. I like Suzuki’s skating and think he’ll cap out as a middle six center. And I wouldn’t mind trading back because after the top 15 or 20 it’s very interchangeable. Also because we lack a 3rd and 4th.
i don't know why people want to trade down and get extra 3rd and 4th rd picks, we don't need more middle of the road prospects we need more sure thing guys id much prefer a trade up

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
i don't know why people want to trade down and get extra 3rd and 4th rd picks, we don't need more middle of the road prospects we need more sure thing guys id much prefer a trade up
Would you rather have a first and second or two seconds and one third in a draft where 20-50 are interchangeable. Plus to trade up you have to let go of an asset. I’d much rather trade down then up this year.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Would you rather have a first and second or two seconds and one third in a draft where 20-50 are interchangeable. Plus to trade up you have to let go of an asset. I’d much rather trade down then up this year.

I'd rather have a keen scout: Brett Hull round 6, Zetterberg 7, Robitaille 9. Take BPA in the first, and the second coming of Pavel Datsyuk in the 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad