2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
With Newhook, Broberg, and Caufield having great tournaments it ensures that we will have a decent choice at #12. I can definitely see two Dmen being picked before 12, if not three, but even if only one is then we Should still have a shot at a decent or better forward prospect....completely up in the air as to who. Could even be Podkolzin, who is one guy I don't get at all, in the brief times I watched him.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
With Newhook, Broberg, and Caufield having great tournaments it ensures that we will have a decent choice at #12. I can definitely see two Dmen being picked before 12, if not three, but even if only one is then we Should still have a shot at a decent or better forward prospect....completely up in the air as to who. Could even be Podkolzin, who is one guy I don't get at all, in the brief times I watched him.
I’m willing to bet podkolzin is picked after 12.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wow. Would you pass on him ,assuming that Newhook/Caufield/Krebs are gone, and it's either Pod, a Dman, or someone like Kaliyev or Lavoie as the choices? I mean, I wasn't impressed with Pod, but all those scouts can't be wrong, can they?

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Wow. Would you pass on him ,assuming that Newhook/Caufield/Krebs are gone, and it's either Pod, a Dman, or someone like Kaliyev or Lavoie as the choices? I mean, I wasn't impressed with Pod, but all those scouts can't be wrong, can they?
I would pass on him. I like kaliyev anyways. Consensus is always wrong on players. Whether it be pulju, yakupov, Ryan Murray and the list goes on. Not to mention he met with scouts at the U18s and they talked to him about his contract situation in Russia. He said he has 2 years left and he will play those out. General consensus is that they’re rather pessimistic about the idea that he could stay in Russia even further after that. My guess would be that, after dealing with Radulov and Kaprizov, there is absolutely no chance Fenton takes him if he’s available. I think other players increasing their stock only shoots podkolzin further down the rankings.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

If those guys are all gone, then we have a shot at one of Boldy, Zegras, Pod probably. I’d maybe take Boldy or our center Zegras over Pod? No one knows.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If those guys are all gone, then we have a shot at one of Boldy, Zegras, Pod probably. I’d maybe take Boldy or our center Zegras over Pod? No one knows.

I’d pretty easily take Zegras over Boldy if it came down to that choice. And I wouldn’t hesitate in the slightest to take Boldy over Podkolzin.

Podkolzin may end up proving a lot of people wrong, but I’m willing to be one of those people.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
He was considered the #3 pick nearly across the board prior to the U18 tournament. I don't think one bad showing would be enough to drop him 10+ spots. I don't think he'll go #3 anymore, but I don't think he makes it out of the top 10 either.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Latest top 100 rankings on The Athletic have Zegras at 12. Would absolutely love that to happen. Also have Podkolzin at 17. Maybe a trade could help us land him if he’s that far down from where everyone was expecting him to go.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Latest top 100 rankings on The Athletic have Zegras at 12. Would absolutely love that to happen. Also have Podkolzin at 17. Maybe a trade could help us land him if he’s that far down from where everyone was expecting him to go.
Colorado's 1st is one of the Better Case Scenarios for Zucker, so maybe.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Colorado's 1st is one of the Better Case Scenarios for Zucker, so maybe.

I wish we knew what happened with the Calgary deal at the deadline so I could feel comfortable that Fenton isn’t going to just go back to that well because it’s familiar.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I wish we knew what happened with the Calgary deal at the deadline so I could feel comfortable that Fenton isn’t going to just go back to that well because it’s familiar.
Agreed, but as long as he isn't the world's biggest Frolik superfan I think we can be sure that he'll at least talk to everyone else before making a move.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd be pretty happy with Zegras. One of weaknesses is that he has a pass first mentality, but with the trading of Granny, we could use someone who knows how to distribute the puck. Zucker, Parise, and Donato are all shoot firsters, and I hope Kunin becomes one. We need a playmaker...Fiala is too uneven, Greenway is sneaky good, but mainly a grunt player.

Of course, being a C is also a huge attraction to Zegras.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I still like newhook, whom is 11 in the list. Zegras reminds my a bit of granlund, which 57 kind of hinted at. I think that a elite playmaker like granlund is a need, but Newhook brings a skill set that this franchise hasn’t seen since Gaborik. He’s got the chance to be an electrifying player who can score and make plays. We have never had a center who can flat out blow by people and break games open like newhook.

Reactions: nstarjim

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im really hoping during the first 11 picks 2 D get picked & podkozlin so newhook is still available at #12. the 2nd D for added insurance. if not i wouldn't mind trading with MTL back a few spots and take a D, or lavoie / brink / pelletier. i will be disappointed if we pick a D at #12. im guessing kaliyev will be gone by #15.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I still like newhook, whom is 11 in the list. Zegras reminds my a bit of granlund, which 57 kind of hinted at. I think that a elite playmaker like granlund is a need, but Newhook brings a skill set that this franchise hasn’t seen since Gaborik. He’s got the chance to be an electrifying player who can score and make plays. We have never had a center who can flat out blow by people and break games open like newhook.
Choosing between Zegras and Newhook would be a nice problem to have. Zegras isn't as good of a passer or stickhandler as Granlund, but he's stronger and faster, and has a better shot. He has the potential to be a more effective NHL player, though less flashy.

Kaliyev isn't a sure thing to go by #15. There are a lot of good Dmen to be picked in the teens

Reactions: The Zarn

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

It’s not like Zegras is a slouch offensively. He’s still a very fast, dynamic player, and while like Granlund with the pass first mentality, the ability to score is still there. One major difference is that Zegras actually has a physical game and won’t spend the first 5 years of his career bouncing off anyone he comes into contact with and falling on the ice.

I can’t decide which one I’d rather have. Zegras is more of a sure bet to be a top line center in the NHL due to his 2-way play and ability to handle the physical game. If Newhook hits his potential and stays at center though, he’s going to be a very special player.

I’d be thrilled to get either.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It’s not like Zegras is a slouch offensively. He’s still a very fast, dynamic player, and while like Granlund with the pass first mentality, the ability to score is still there. One major difference is that Zegras actually has a physical game and won’t spend the first 5 years of his career bouncing off anyone he comes into contact with and falling on the ice.

I can’t decide which one I’d rather have. Zegras is more of a sure bet to be a top line center in the NHL due to his 2-way play and ability to handle the physical game. If Newhook hits his potential and stays at center though, he’s going to be a very special player.

I’d be thrilled to get either.
I'm with. Kind of torn. Zegras has the higher floor, for sure, but Newhook has hints of brilliance to this game.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Choosing between Zegras and Newhook would be a nice problem to have. Zegras isn't as good of a passer or stickhandler as Granlund, but he's stronger and faster, and has a better shot. He has the potential to be a more effective NHL player, though less flashy.

Kaliyev isn't a sure thing to go by #15. There are a lot of good Dmen to be picked in the teens
I would by no means be mad at a Zegras pick. I just wonder if he is a center in the NHL.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would by no means be mad at a Zegras pick. I just wonder if he is a center in the NHL.

Yes, he is.

It’s far more likely that Krebs, Cozens and Newhook end up at wing in the NHL than it is that Zegras does.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i know newhook isn't a sure thing but man o man he could be the next draisaitl. wouldn't that be something if the wild landed one of the best players in the 19 draft at #12!

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
i know newhook isn't a sure thing but man o man he could be the next draisaitl. wouldn't that be something if the wild landed one of the best players in the 19 draft at #12!
Still don’t see the draisatl thing

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
well im not always right but kaprizov was the last player i was this amped up over.

Do you mean as good as Draisaitl, or same playing style? Cause their playing styles are not remotely the same. I’d also bet that Newhook never becomes a 50 goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad