2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think your point that the Wild didn't have the mid round picks to use on "risks" is the most telling. I think part of good drafting is just accumulating enough lottery tickets(picks), and getting lucky on one.

I'd rather have Dubnyk than a random 3rd round pick. That's the trade-off.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd rather have Dubnyk than a random 3rd round pick. That's the trade-off.
Sure, that's one case, but it's not against the law for us to accumulate draft picks through trades, either. Fletcher was always so adamant that they were all in, possibly egged on by the owner, that he held on to obviously declining assets till they were worthless, rather than moving them beforehand for picks/prospects.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We should probably give Fenton a full year at the helm before deciding he's been completely possessed by the franchise egregore.

Unless Flahr is re-assigned to Alaska...or whatever our ECHL branch is or we get rid of our head scout Lapoint, I don't see a lot of changes. Riser drafted the same way as Fletcher who drafted the same way as Fenton so far.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I think your point that the Wild didn't have the mid round picks to use on "risks" is the most telling. I think part of good drafting is just accumulating enough lottery tickets(picks), and getting lucky on one.

100%

it's why Pronman's article today gives the Wild a C- grade for the 2016 draft even though Kunin could be a decent player someday and it's why I'm optimistic on 2018: those extra 3rds add just a little bit more marginal value.

I'm not trying to say it's obvious that Debrincat or Gaudreau were players, or Lucia wasn't. So much of scouting comes down to the loudest voice in the room, and the prejudice against smaller guys definitely still exists, for practical reasons as well as outdated ones.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Unless Flahr is re-assigned to Alaska...or whatever our ECHL branch is or we get rid of our head scout Lapoint, I don't see a lot of changes. Riser drafted the same way as Fletcher who drafted the same way as Fenton so far.

Chief of Amateur Scouting: Guy Lapointe. Same today as it was in 2000.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd give both of those things a few months to a year. We've already seen turnover in the scouting department and we'll likely see more as contracts expire. I think Flahr's done an alright job overall, but I can't imagine he'll be around by this time next year.

Considering where the team was when Fletcher was let go, where Leipold wants it to be this year, and what Fenton had on his plate in his first offseason I think a gradual turnover makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure what the market is like for good scouts, but it seems pretty niche and I imagine it's pretty competitive. It'll take time.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Sure, that's one case, but it's not against the law for us to accumulate draft picks through trades, either. Fletcher was always so adamant that they were all in, possibly egged on by the owner, that he held on to obviously declining assets till they were worthless, rather than moving them beforehand for picks/prospects.

What assets have the Wild had in the last few years that were worth anything in trade? Brodziak, Heatley, Kemps, Cullen, Winnik, and Backstrom? Guys like Fontaine, Schroeder, and Carter are roster fillers; and had little value. Not to mention who or what fills in the hole in the lineup losing any of those players for a random pick creates?

MN hasn't really lost anyone of note Folin (what an odd situation that was) and Kemps are the only players of note (other than rentals) the Wild have lost as free agents.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
To be fair:
-Gaudreau was a 4th round pick, every team avoided him at least once. The Wild could have picked him up with the laste 1st (Phillips) or late 2nd (Lucia) picks I guess
-Debrincat went mid 2nd; they could have used their mid 1st (Kunin) pick on him.
-Point went 1 pick before Belpedio in the mid 3rd; could have used the mid 1st (Tuch) to pick him.
- At the time all of these picks would have been considered reaches similar to the one they took with FJ this last year. Hindsight really helps a lot for these guys. They all could have turned out like a Schroeder (mid 1st) and then the pick is considered a bust.

Blame the GM for not having the draft picks in whatever years to possibly take these players, but using 1st's on guys that go in the 3rd round or later means you're a genius or an idiot (depending on how they turn out). They've also had their own bad picks (Gabriel, Lucia, Phillips).
Should have used THAT pick on Pasta...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If you can play, you can play. I think it's fair to assume that the Wild have avoided drafting guys like Point, Debrincat, and Gaudreau. The Preds took a chance on Arvidsson though.
Erik Haula
Mikeal Granlund
Jason Zucker
Johann Larsson
Zach Phillips
Matt Dumba
Christoph Bertschy
Louis Belpedio
Kirill Kaprizov
Gustav Bouramann
Dmitry Sokolov
Ivan Lodnia
Mason Shaw
Nick Swaney
All guys that were drafted by Fletcher/Flahr that had questions either about size or the fact that they didn't have a 2-way game.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Erik Haula
Mikeal Granlund
Jason Zucker
Johann Larsson
Zach Phillips
Matt Dumba
Christoph Bertschy
Louis Belpedio
Kirill Kaprizov
Gustav Bouramann
Dmitry Sokolov
Ivan Lodnia
Mason Shaw
Nick Swaney
All guys that were drafted by Fletcher/Flahr that had questions either about size or the fact that they didn't have a 2-way game.
Larsson was described as a Koivu lite... two way game was why he was drafted.

Yes, the rest did have defensive questions... including Granlund, who has turned into one hell of a player in his own zone.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Larsson was described as a Koivu lite... two way game was why he was drafted.

Yes, the rest did have defensive questions... including Granlund, who has turned into one hell of a player in his own zone.
Larsson is 5'9

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah those are always accurate. He was shorter than Granlund.
No he wasn't. The Wild even listed Larsson as taller at the time. Same team.

Also, if they're so inaccurate, what does that say about Spurgeon?
Jared Spurgeon

Position: D • Shoots: Right
5-9, 167lb (175cm, 75kg)

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Pretty sure Zach actually is 5'11
I think my point is clear.

Larsson isn't Spurgeon short, and he's always been expected to be a two way player.
I have met Parise, he isn't close to 5"11

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I have met Parise, he isn't close to 5"11
So have I and I'm pretty sure he is.

But all this is WAY besides the point.

Your post I was responding to is correct, I was just pointing out one player that didn't fit the list, nothing more.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So have I and I'm pretty sure he is.

But all this is WAY besides the point.

Your post I was responding to is correct, I was just pointing out one player that didn't fit the list, nothing more.
Thanks for straightening me out :facepalm:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Erik Haula
Mikeal Granlund
Jason Zucker
Johann Larsson
Zach Phillips
Matt Dumba
Christoph Bertschy
Louis Belpedio
Kirill Kaprizov
Gustav Bouramann
Dmitry Sokolov
Ivan Lodnia
Mason Shaw
Nick Swaney

Pretty close to 100% of draftees have questions about size, in the sense that not every body has NHL strength. I'm obviously not saying they never drafted a guy under six feet. I guess I didn't make clear what I meant. Those guys are misses a bunch of teams wish they had, obviously, including the Wild. I think this team does have a conservative philosophy that has limited high-upside picks.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pretty sure Zach actually is 5'11
I think my point is clear.

Larsson isn't Spurgeon short, and he's always been expected to be a two way player.
I've stood beside Parise. If he's 5'11", then I'm 6'3"...and I'm not even close.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Pretty close to 100% of draftees have questions about size, in the sense that not every body has NHL strength. I'm obviously not saying they never drafted a guy under six feet. I guess I didn't make clear what I meant. Those guys are misses a bunch of teams wish they had, obviously, including the Wild. I think this team does have a conservative philosophy that has limited high-upside picks.
You said that it was obvious that the Wild avoided players like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad