2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
You said that it was obvious that the Wild avoided players like this.

Did they draft any of them? Something in their process indicated that other guys would be better. That process was faulty. Passing on guys with elite skills so you can draft a small, less-skilled version seems ... kind of dumb!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Did they draft any of them? Something in their process indicated that other guys would be better. That process was faulty. Passing on guys with elite skills so you can draft a small, less-skilled version seems ... kind of dumb!
So, because none of the small guys that the Wild have drafted have turned into Johnny Gaudreau, it's obvious that they avoid drafting small guys? Is that really the logic you're going with?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So, because none of the small guys that the Wild have drafted have turned into Johnny Gaudreau, it's obvious that they avoid drafting small guys? Is that really the logic you're going with?

Your first sentence contains an impossible identity presumption followed by an entailment clause we both agree to be faulty. Logic isn't something you should invoke.

They didn't draft Johnny Gaudreau, Brayden Point or Alex Debrincat when they had the chance - please don't dispute this. They drafted other players. The other players had factors the scouts recommended. So they put more emphasis on Alex Tuch's power game, for example, than they did Brayden Point's skill set. I don't think they would have passed on Sidney Crosby if they were picking first instead of fourth but I also wouldn't have drafted Kurtis Gabriel with Oliver Bjorkstrand available. The Wild did not feel the same - suggests a bit of a trend and an organizational philosophy. Especially when they have spent picks on guys like Chizen and Faith who had no other remarkable attributes. It typifies the Wild's egregore.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well, lately they’ve drafted Kaprizov, Khovanov, Shaw, Belpedio, Lodnia and Swaney. So it’s not like they’re crossing those type of guys off their lists.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Well, lately they’ve drafted Kaprizov, Khovanov, Shaw, Belpedio, Lodnia and Swaney. So it’s not like they’re crossing those type of guys off their lists.

As I attempted to explain - and others pointed out - three or four posts back, they passed on specific guys, not guys with a height limit. They may have learned from their hesitation on the guys I mentioned (as well as Pastrnak) that the Gabriel type player is giving way to the Point type in the modern NHL. (Also Belpedio was drafted in 2013, not lately.)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As I attempted to explain - and others pointed out - three or four posts back, they passed on specific guys, not guys with a height limit. They may have learned from their hesitation on the guys I mentioned (as well as Pastrnak) that the Gabriel type player is giving way to the Point type in the modern NHL. (Also Belpedio was drafted in 2013, not lately.)

He was a 3rd round pick in 2014.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I really like Alex Turcotte. Competing center with speed. He might go a bit high for us tho.

Guskov looks good as well. Very skilled, but he is not a very speedy one.

Fenton will probably draft a defenseman anyway.
Turcotte now with his second injury this season. Might drop his stock a little bit.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Gonna beat the drum all season. Caufield has 16 goals in 18 games for the USDP and 7 goals in 6 games in the USHL. Dude is an amazing player.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm not sure why you're bothering, Digitalbooya. He's not going to drop to 31st. :naughty:
He just might due to his size ala Debrincat.

The real question here is how did Seattle’s expansion happen mid season cause ain’t no way we win the Cup this year :laugh:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Was Brinkman ranked in the 1st round of any mock drafts? I thought I remember people talking about him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was Brinkman ranked in the 1st round of any mock drafts? I thought I remember people talking about him.
At one point he was, but he seems to have dropped into the 2nd round, at least. You have to take most of the mock drafts with a grain of salt, though. A lot of their creators have little to no 1st hand knowledge of players, and merely repeat what others have said in lemming like fashion, or formulate opinions off of a couple of clips, or boxscores. Others have a CHL, or European focus.

At this point, I don't have a strong opinion on Brinkman. He doesn't look out of place at all on the Gophers, but the team is near dysfunctional, IMO. Hard to make sense of them as a team, and look good as an individual. It will get much clearer by draft time.... I see some good things from Brinkman , especially with his no nonsense passing, but he is by no means asserting himself. He has been decent defensively, and his physical play has been more than adequate. Would like to see him use his slapper more, but he's not getting any PP TOI.

I want to see if he can take over a game a couple of times later this season. If he does, against players that are in many cases 3-5 years older, then he will be worth a late 2nd at a minimum.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone else watching the stats of Brett Leason RW/C in the WHL? He's tearing it up, and leading the league in scoring by a good margin. 6'4", with good speed. Double overager. He's already at 60 points, after previous seasons of 32 and 18.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Anyone else watching the stats of Brett Leason RW/C in the WHL? He's tearing it up, and leading the league in scoring by a good margin. 6'4", with good speed. Double overager. He's already at 60 points, after previous seasons of 32 and 18.

Big, double overagers are tough to gauge in the CHL, he's a man playing among boys at this point. The previous years totals are concerning though. I'm curious if he had a late growth spurt and it took him awhile to adjust.

I don't like putting a lot of stock in players for their international tournament showings, but with him I'd really need to see how he does against other teams with guys his own age.

He's be a fit for the Wild, and closer to NHL ready than any 18 yo the Wild could get with a late 1st or a 2nd.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Big, double overagers are tough to gauge in the CHL, he's a man playing among boys at this point. The previous years totals are concerning though. I'm curious if he had a late growth spurt and it took him awhile to adjust.

I don't like putting a lot of stock in players for their international tournament showings, but with him I'd really need to see how he does against other teams with guys his own age.

He's be a fit for the Wild, and closer to NHL ready than any 18 yo the Wild could get with a late 1st or a 2nd.
He's the same age as Glass(#6 oa 2017) and Dewar(3rd round 2018), and outscoring both by a significant margin. By all counts he's fast, and he's also bigger than both. If the guy keeps it up, then some teams will have to overcome their prejudice against double overagers.

Agree that it would be nice to see him do well against some other types of competition, but even if he has a bad competition you can't ignore him

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’m a big fan of Alex Newhook. Looks like he could be available around when MN picks. Kid is absolutely dynamic with his speed. I’ve seen him compared to Nathan Mackinnon.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just glancing at the HF boards prospect thread craig buttons dec rankings https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-kakko-hughes-set-for-world-junior-clash-1.1225187 if the wild miss the playoffs and pick 10-14 i'd be interested in kaliyev ; if we make the playoffs and pick around #20 i'd be ok with newhook if hes as fast as you say. button has leason & foote 32 & 34 so we'd probably trade down to pick one of those guys. cheers!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is a year where I would like the Wild to accumulate 1 rounder's, even late ones. Seems like there is a lot of forward and C depth. The aforementioned players, with the possible exception of Brink, would be nice picks, i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad