Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
My thoughts:

Cozens
He scored 2 goals and really showed his ability to finish. Overhandled the puck quite a few times, and I don't like his PP play at all. He's being used on the right side as the set-up man, where his shot wasn't utilized as much and his lack of playmaking ability was clear. I much prefer him on the left half-wall where his one-timer becomes a threat. I stand by what I've been saying for a while now, that he'll need a playmaker on his line in the NHL to succeed. In the WHL what little he generates by himself is a result of bulling past others with his speed and size. His best work comes when others are carrying the puck and he plays the role of a sniper. I did like his play in front of the net though. Overall I think he might be a good fit for the Oilers since we have 3 great playmaking centers, but there are a handful of others I'd prefer at 8th overall.

Podkolzin

Let's start with the positives. There were some unnecessary dekes and he was caught trying to do too much in his own end on the breakout, but his play in the defensive end was good overall. He was quite physical, competed very hard, and scored a goal. The negative is that it was a very low-event game for what you'd expect in a junior league. His lack of vision and offensive IQ was evident at times. There was one play in particular when the other team was caught on an awful line change and Podkolzin had a two-on-one, but he kept his head down and took a slapshot from an awful angle and wasted a great chance. I could see him becoming a good energy bottom 6er in the NHL that can bring a good shot to the PP, but there is nothing that warrants him being a top-10 pick in my mind.

2 side notes: 1) He played LW most shifts, which I didn't know he did, and 2) there were 3 times he went down for ~5 seconds and it seemed he was injured, but he played the next shift.

Krebs
The biggest takeaway is just how awful his team is. Krebs recorded a goal and 2 assists (both primary), but the team lost 4-3. They were stuck in their own zone for so much of the game, and their mentality was to get the puck out and dump it in. Their breakouts were pathetic and they iced the puck every second shift. Krebs was good and made smart plays all night long, and although he was unspectacular, he was clearly the most noticeable player on the team. The offense ran through him and he played well over 20 minutes but received no help. It is not the case that he records points because he is ridden on so heavily; while he can lead a line effectively, he performs and produces much better when playing with better linemates (Dach + Lafreniere at Hlinka, Kaliyev + Robertson at TPG, Cozens + Newhook at U18s). One thing that could help his game is if he bulked up a bit. There were a few times he was pushed around and knocked down too easily.

Dach

An outstanding game by Kirby Dach. He recorded a goal and an assist, and the amount of chances he generated was incredible. His skating didn't look poor or even just decent. There were a few times he blew past defensemen in 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 rushes. He was dangerous at all situations, including the PK. Only thing that stood out to me was that he was he seemed off balance at times and wasn't strong enough on his skates. Improving his lower-body strength could improve this.

Byram
Very involved offensively, on for 4 goals for and recorded a goal and an assist. Was very calm and composed with the puck and had some beautiful rushes. Did a great job covering for his partner who joined the rush a lot. He never forced plays and was okay with turning back and passing back to his partner if he didn't like what he saw. On the PP, I found he was better suited to the half-wall than the point. He prefers a quick wrister over a slapshot, and is best at getting it off on from close in. Defensively he displayed nice gap control, but lost his man a couple times.

Dach's hands also stood out like crazy. I'd say him and Zegras have the best hands in the draft.

Reactions: KYams17

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I have Krebs, Boldy and Caufield in the same tier basically, very little separating them for me. But if I had to pick one I think I'd go with Krebs.
Same here. I'll be happy if we get one of them, but ideally one of Dach/Turcotte/Zegras falls.

Reactions: Zaddy

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
At this point I'm scared that all of Dach, Turcotte, and Zegras won't be there at 8.

If we're choosing between Cozens, Caufield, Krebs, and Boldy, I'm not sure who I want...
  • With Krebs I think you're getting a pretty reliable 2-way forward who can hold things down on the 2nd line. He's good at everything, but not necessarily elite at anything except probably hockey sense. I do love his compete level & leadership qualities.
  • Cozens has all the tools. Can he put it all together and have an impact in the NHL? If his development is handled responsibly, I certainly think it's a possibility. Holland is notorious for slow playing prospects as well. I think there's a risk to this pick... but it's exaggerated imo.
  • Caufield is an elite goal scorer, and thus is high risk / high reward given his size and playing on a very stacked team. His dominant WJC performance is encouraging (backs up his play in the USNDP). Given the state of our other top forward prospects (JP struggling + injuries, Yamamoto being a mystery as to where he ends up), spending our 1st on a high risk pick worries me.
  • Boldy just seems underrated all around and doesn't quite get enough credit because his teammates get the spotlight. He can make plays with his great vision, possesses good hands, a good shot, and his skating is coming around. I think he'll develop into a great player after a couple years in the NCAA system.
With allll that being said. I still don't know how I'd rate them. They don't seem far apart.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
At this point I'm scared that all of Dach, Turcotte, and Zegras won't be there at 8.

If we're choosing between Cozens, Caufield, Krebs, and Boldy, I'm not sure who I want...
  • With Krebs I think you're getting a pretty reliable 2-way forward who can hold things down on the 2nd line. He's good at everything, but not necessarily elite at anything except probably hockey sense. I do love his compete level & leadership qualities.
  • Cozens has all the tools. Can he put it all together and have an impact in the NHL? If his development is handled responsibly, I certainly think it's a possibility. Holland is notorious for slow playing prospects as well. I think there's a risk to this pick... but it's exaggerated imo.
  • Caufield is an elite goal scorer, and thus is high risk / high reward given his size and playing on a very stacked team. His dominant WJC performance is encouraging (backs up his play in the USNDP). Given the state of our other top forward prospects (JP struggling + injuries, Yamamoto being a mystery as to where he ends up), spending our 1st on a high risk pick worries me.
  • Boldy just seems underrated all around and doesn't quite get enough credit because his teammates get the spotlight. He can make plays with his great vision, possesses good hands, a good shot, and his skating is coming around. I think he'll develop into a great player after a couple years in the NCAA system.
With allll that being said. I still don't know how I'd rate them. They don't seem far apart.
I’m expecting Dach and turcotte to be gone while expecting to walk away with one of Zegras, krebs or Boldy

Zegras could be the high tempo exciting winger

Krebs the two-way responsible centre every team covets with Ryan smyth like character

And Boldy who could be a wheeler like winger one day, a winger with size and plenty of under-rated skill.

Thought of Boldy at 8 has really grown on me last few weeks, he’s a really safe pick to be a top 6 winger imo

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I’m expecting Dach and turcotte to be gone while expecting to walk away with one of Zegras, krebs or Boldy

Zegras could be the high tempo exciting winger

Krebs the two-way responsible centre every team covets with Ryan smyth like character

And Boldy who could be a wheeler like winger one day, a winger with size and plenty of under-rated skill.

Thought of Boldy at 8 has really grown on me last few weeks, he’s a really safe pick to be a top 6 winger imo

Yeah I'd expect Dach, Turcotte and Byram are all gone by the time the Oilers pick. Who else gets picked in the top 7 is a big question mark. Of the remaining players I'd take Krebs or trade back a few picks and take Newhook, York or Soderstrom. I'm not as high on the other USNTDP players.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I still maintain that if the big guns are gone by the time the Oilers pick you take Caufield. You cant teach what he does. That said he is rated to go 5th by Pronman and some others have LA taking him there as well. Either way the Oilers should wind up with a quality player.

Reactions: dustrock

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I still maintain that if the big guns are gone by the time the Oilers pick you take Caufield. You cant teach what he does. That said he is rated to go 5th by Pronman and some others have LA taking him there as well. Either way the Oilers should wind up with a quality player.
I personally think we have too many holes in our line up to aim for the fences, pulujarvi busting really set us back. Sure Caufield could be a 40 goal 60 pt player but if he doesn’t live up to 40 goals he’s just another water bug buried on our lineup, I’d rather take Boldy who even if he never becomes a 30-40 player he has the tools to go into difficult areas and win puck battles for other skilled players.

You win in the playoffs with players like Boldy

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I personally think we have too many holes in our line up to aim for the fences, pulujarvi busting really set us back. Sure Caufield could be a 40 goal 60 pt player but if he doesn’t live up to 40 goals he’s just another water bug buried on our lineup, I’d rather take Boldy who even if he never becomes a 30-40 player he has the tools to go into difficult areas and win puck battles for other skilled players.

This is why I’d have Boldy ahead of Caufield.

Reactions: Numz and B33K33PING

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
How does Boldy compare to Benson? How similar are they, aside from the difference in size? Who had the higher offensive ceiling on draft day?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

See that’s precisely why I do take a swing for the fences. Our holes are pretty high up in the lineup. A 20 point guy isn’t plugging any of our holes. You need the guy to pan out regardless of who you take. Look at the 2013 draft. Lots of people around here wanted the “safe” pick in Lazar. Can you imagine how much worse off we’d be if we took him instead of Nurse?

Reactions: Aerrol

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
See that’s precisely why I do take a swing for the fences. Our holes are pretty high up in the lineup. A 20 point guy isn’t plugging any of our holes. You need the guy to pan out regardless of who you take. Look at the 2013 draft. Lots of people around here wanted the “safe” pick in Lazar. Can you imagine how much worse off we’d be if we took him instead of Nurse?
I see Boldys floor as a 40 pt winger which this team could desperately use while he still has a high relatively high ceiling I see Boldy as consistent 25-30 goals 30-40 assist winger during his prime.

I just think Boldy has a better chance of reaching his ceiling than Caufield while having a much higher floor at the same time.

I can see why one would want Caufield but I don’t think the oilers should be that team imo.

EDIT: also some people have a weird infatuation for oil kings I’d like to just stay away from them tbh

Reactions: Numz and 780il

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Lazar at 7th wasn’t a thing, if I recall correctly we wanted Monahan and after he was picked many were wanting Nichushkin.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Fanspeak's On the Clock NHL Mock Draft Simulator

A little mock draft site. Choose your team and draft. This was my first attempt as the Oilers:

upload_2019-5-29_12-11-32.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad