Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That would be incredible. I don't see him falling to us though.
Dach has some pretty real concerns. Questions about his effort level, his production was inconsistent as he had a really bad mid season slump where he looked invisible for a very long stretch, question marks around his skating and known as a bit of an overpasser. I don’t think it’s a lock he goes super high.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Button had Suzuki at 28 i believe any thoughts on dropping down from the second if hes available past 28?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Dach has some pretty real concerns. Questions about his effort level, his production was inconsistent as he had a really bad mid season slump where he looked invisible for a very long stretch, question marks around his skating and known as a bit of an overpasser. I don’t think it’s a lock he goes super high.

According to people who watched all/most of those games he was anything but invisible during his slump. Unlucky more than anything, plus he was playing through an injury IIRC.

There are no real concerns about his skating, it's perfectly fine. Overpasser? When is that even a critique of a player? He's a great passer but he also has a great shot and can do it all himself.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Button had Suzuki at 28 i believe any thoughts on dropping down from the second if hes available past 28?

Suzuki is a bit of wild card.

Statistically(and especially analytically) he shines, but there's questions around things like defense, pace, effort and willingness to shoot. To me, I'd value his offensive ability far more than any of those things when looking at a guy like him. I could see him going as high as even 12-15 if teams are looking for an offensive center.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDoused

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

He has the big, lazy look of almost any big player. (ala Bouchard). His skating issues are wayy overblown. His wrist shot is also extremely underrated (better than Cozens IMO), and his mid season slump was due to playing through a knee injury.

He's my #3.

Reactions: Zaddy

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
According to people who watched all/most of those games he was anything but invisible during his slump. Unlucky more than anything, plus he was playing through an injury IIRC.

There are no real concerns about his skating, it's perfectly fine. Overpasser? When is that even a critique of a player? He's a great passer but he also has a great shot and can do it all himself.
I’ve heard conflicting reports from others who watched just about every game he played in this year. I think he’s a top 10 pick but it’s so close between him Cozens, Podkolzin, Zegras, Boldy he could go anywhere from 6th to 12th depending on how the teams rank these guys.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I had a dream that we Drafted Dach a couple weeks ago.
I honestly never considered him because I think he will go top 5.

One more month until we see if our premonitions are correct.
I have Dach top 5 too but could totally see him falling if a team wants the faster skating center in cozens or a team wants a high skill creative player in Zegras or maybe a team gambles on podkolzin or reaches on a D. 3-10 is such a crapshoot tbh

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I have no idea what Dach is like off the ice, but on the ice he can play.

From.what I've seen, there are a lot of Leon qualities. Big, skilled, can skate when he has to, thinks the game at a crazy high level, elite passer, good wrist shot.

The over passing comment makes me laugh.

Unless he comes off as a real asshole at the combine, I don't see how he would last until 8.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm really starting to think that trading back for Tomasino is the way to go. Any of the players you take outside that early 1-3 range are a minimum two years away anyways. And I think Tomasino has that top six upside that we're looking for out of the guys available at the 8 spot.

I think Holland likes more bullets at the draft table and I think moving back into the late teens could probably get you another quality prospect out of this draft.

With that being said, looking at some of the players available in the early parts of the third really makes that Petrovic deal regrettable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerfish

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I'm really starting to think that trading back for Tomasino is the way to go. Any of the players you take outside that early 1-3 range are a minimum two years away anyways. And I think Tomasino has that top six upside that we're looking for or if the guys available at the 8 spot.

I think Holland likes more bullets at the draft table and I think moving back into the late teens could probably get you another quality prospect out of this draft.

With that being said, looking at some of the players available in the early parts of the third really makes that Petrovic deal regrettable.

If trading back is an option, we can do a trade with Ottawa for their 19th and 32nd and get virtually 2 first rounders.

Reactions: belair

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
TIL that if they draft Cozens, he wouldn't be the first Oiler born in Whitehorse.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He has the big, lazy look of almost any big player. (ala Bouchard). His skating issues are wayy overblown. His wrist shot is also extremely underrated (better than Cozens IMO), and his mid season slump was due to playing through a knee injury.

He's my #3.

He has the best release in the draft. I haven’t seen a player able to shoot like that since Sakic. You literally can’t tell he’s going to take a shot.

I’m pretty confident we end up with one of Krebs, Turcotte, Byram, or Boldy. I think your right that Dach will go high. I also think Zegras is overrated and his kid moves won’t translate.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Ultimately I still feel the same way as before. While I’m leaning towards Zegras and Newhook, I won’t be devastated if the pick is someone else. As long as we don’t go walkabout we’re going to end up with a good player.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
For anyone interested Burgundy Rainbow has a bunch of new shift-by-shift videos up on their youtube channel:

Burgundy Rainbow Draft Shift By Shifts

There's shifts on Cozens, Podkolzin, Krebs, Dach and Byram.
My thoughts:

Cozens
He scored 2 goals and really showed his ability to finish. Overhandled the puck quite a few times, and I don't like his PP play at all. He's being used on the right side as the set-up man, where his shot wasn't utilized as much and his lack of playmaking ability was clear. I much prefer him on the left half-wall where his one-timer becomes a threat. I stand by what I've been saying for a while now, that he'll need a playmaker on his line in the NHL to succeed. In the WHL what little he generates by himself is a result of bulling past others with his speed and size. His best work comes when others are carrying the puck and he plays the role of a sniper. I did like his play in front of the net though. Overall I think he might be a good fit for the Oilers since we have 3 great playmaking centers, but there are a handful of others I'd prefer at 8th overall.

Podkolzin

Let's start with the positives. There were some unnecessary dekes and he was caught trying to do too much in his own end on the breakout, but his play in the defensive end was good overall. He was quite physical, competed very hard, and scored a goal. The negative is that it was a very low-event game for what you'd expect in a junior league. His lack of vision and offensive IQ was evident at times. There was one play in particular when the other team was caught on an awful line change and Podkolzin had a two-on-one, but he kept his head down and took a slapshot from an awful angle and wasted a great chance. I could see him becoming a good energy bottom 6er in the NHL that can bring a good shot to the PP, but there is nothing that warrants him being a top-10 pick in my mind.

2 side notes: 1) He played LW most shifts, which I didn't know he did, and 2) there were 3 times he went down for ~5 seconds and it seemed he was injured, but he played the next shift.

Krebs
The biggest takeaway is just how awful his team is. Krebs recorded a goal and 2 assists (both primary), but the team lost 4-3. They were stuck in their own zone for so much of the game, and their mentality was to get the puck out and dump it in. Their breakouts were pathetic and they iced the puck every second shift. Krebs was good and made smart plays all night long, and although he was unspectacular, he was clearly the most noticeable player on the team. The offense ran through him and he played well over 20 minutes but received no help. It is not the case that he records points because he is ridden on so heavily; while he can lead a line effectively, he performs and produces much better when playing with better linemates (Dach + Lafreniere at Hlinka, Kaliyev + Robertson at TPG, Cozens + Newhook at U18s). One thing that could help his game is if he bulked up a bit. There were a few times he was pushed around and knocked down too easily.

Dach

An outstanding game by Kirby Dach. He recorded a goal and an assist, and the amount of chances he generated was incredible. His skating didn't look poor or even just decent. There were a few times he blew past defensemen in 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 rushes. He was dangerous at all situations, including the PK. Only thing that stood out to me was that he was he seemed off balance at times and wasn't strong enough on his skates. Improving his lower-body strength could improve this.

Byram
Very involved offensively, on for 4 goals for and recorded a goal and an assist. Was very calm and composed with the puck and had some beautiful rushes. Did a great job covering for his partner who joined the rush a lot. He never forced plays and was okay with turning back and passing back to his partner if he didn't like what he saw. On the PP, I found he was better suited to the half-wall than the point. He prefers a quick wrister over a slapshot, and is best at getting it off on from close in. Defensively he displayed nice gap control, but lost his man a couple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad