2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
100%. I see a team that can have an entirely revamped top 6 D and a top 10 pick, 20+ mil in cap space and a new coaching staff as soon as next season. Worth losing a ton of games for.
Exactly. Give Stan some more time to retool. We're only a couple steps away from contending again.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Looking at the prospects drafted in the past few drafts, and projecting the Hawks to be a lottery team, what’s the focus for the 2019 draft?

Keepers on the current team include Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Schmaltz at forward, Keith, Jokiharju, maybe Murphy and Gustafsson, and Seabrook (by default) on defense, and Crawford in goal.

Defensively, prospects seem to be set. Forsling should play this year, and Mitchell, Boqvist, Krys, and Beaudin need time but if two hit big, then all is beautiful. Just lacking a size guy (Murphy?).

There is the potential for two defensively responsible centers (Wise and Kurashev) from 2018 who look like at max middle six centers. Both need time, but could be key pieces. Barrett, Sikura, Entwhistle, Edjsell, and others still have a lot to prove. The remaining forward prospects mostly fall into the smaller size but skilled group, likely not defensively responsible. Simply put, there looks to be no immediate help at forward.

So, a combination of free agency and impact forwards at the draft is necessary, maybe a goalie mid-late, is necessary.

Kakko and Hughes are obvious. Who else, why, and how far away from making the team with a top 6-7 pick, better if lottery win???

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Looking at the prospects drafted in the past few drafts, and projecting the Hawks to be a lottery team, what’s the focus for the 2019 draft?

Keepers on the current team include Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Schmaltz at forward, Keith, Jokiharju, maybe Murphy and Gustafsson, and Seabrook (by default) on defense, and Crawford in goal.

Defensively, prospects seem to be set. Forsling should play this year, and Mitchell, Boqvist, Krys, and Beaudin need time but if two hit big, then all is beautiful. Just lacking a size guy (Murphy?).

There is the potential for two defensively responsible centers (Wise and Kurashev) from 2018 who look like at max middle six centers. Both need time, but could be key pieces. Barrett, Sikura, Entwhistle, Edjsell, and others still have a lot to prove. The remaining forward prospects mostly fall into the smaller size but skilled group, likely not defensively responsible. Simply put, there looks to be no immediate help at forward.

So, a combination of free agency and impact forwards at the draft is necessary, maybe a goalie mid-late, is necessary.

Kakko and Hughes are obvious. Who else, why, and how far away from making the team with a top 6-7 pick, better if lottery win???
offensive players from the opening bell....... if the Bhawks does not get the first 1-7 pick, i will then put my money on drafting A. Kaliyev - LW ......

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Who else? Maybe this guy should be first:

KIRBY DACH : 6'4 198 position: C
Saskatoon Blades WHL

11g 21 a 32pts in 19GP

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Who else? Maybe this guy should be first:

KIRBY DACH : 6'4 198 position: C
Saskatoon Blades WHL

11g 21 a 32pts in 19GP
yeah i am not convince of his play yet. need to see how the season plays out with him. but as where is stand now, looks to be a top 5 pick now.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think AD and I have agreed that a pure sniper like Kaliyev could really help round out the top 6. Podkolzin is another one.

Since in my opinion Schmaltz can't be a 2C, I think drafting a center would be smart. Suzuki has crazy IQ and Newhook is a breakout machine so I like both those options.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
At thee beginning of the season the consensus was the 2 best WHL prospects for the draft were both big Centers ...Dylan Cozens 6'3 185 and
Kirby Dach,6'4 198....the consensus seemed to place Cozens ahead of Dach
..Cozens has 8g 13a for 21 points in 16GP..

Some rankings had them only just out of the top 10 ...at 11 and 12 range ...

I think so far Dach seems to be starring more than Cozens so I think he should be a top 5 pick at minimum. ..Cozens probably 8-11 range still ..

Another C ,Alex Newhopk of Victoria Grizzlies of the BCHL is probably a 7-13 range pick ..5'11 183 ...

I think Hawks need to draft a Center with our first rounder and if we have a Crack at one of these 3 that is who I would target ..

I would trade down a few spots if we won the lotto ..I am dubious on Jack Hughes because he is a smurf and because he is more of a playmaker than goal scorer and dishing off to any of our wingers is not likely to produce finishes from them

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think AD and I have agreed that a pure sniper like Kaliyev could really help round out the top 6. Podkolzin is another one.

Since in my opinion Schmaltz can't be a 2C, I think drafting a center would be smart. Suzuki has crazy IQ and Newhook is a breakout machine so I like both those options.
for me and assuming that the Bhawks does not pick #1, i am all set in with the idea of D. Cozens, A.Kaliyev, A. Turcotte as the 3 players, at this time i am envisioning...... outside Hughes.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This draft is similar to the Matthews draft with Hughes and Kakko (center then wing) leading the way.

50 trading away from Hughes would be moronic. You obsess over size when the game is changing.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
It sounds from what Ive read that Dachs wheels are a question mark for todays NHl.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Kaliyev has torched the OHL but gets the Wahlstrom treatment that people expect him to be a selke type player as well. Laine is near worthless away from the puck, but puts up 40 goals or close to it...Ovi has improved over the years, but damn he was a bad player away from the puck, disinterested...that typically comes with taking snipers/goal scorers...they just aren't good players away from the puck.

Kaliyev has the speed, shot, and IQ to be a dominant NHL player...you need to understand he will lack some play from away from the puck, but he is a player that could transform a top 6 around, if we have any chance to draft this kid who "surprise surprise" seems to be getting put back into most top 10-15 lists lol....draft this kid!!

Matthew Boldy is the other name that I have a pool of drool forming when speaking about him...this kid has elevated his game to a level where he is looking just as good as Jack Hughes for the USNDP. he is physical, very high IQ, and so skilled that he is now getting ranked in top 10 lists...also Trevor Zegras has been phenomenal for the USNDP...he really has taken off with Turcotte being hurt, some now have him going top 10 too...what a freaking loaded team the UUSNDP is...

Kaliyev
Boldy
Zegras

watch these 3 names this year for those that don't really follow prospects...all 3 are players who would help out our team immediately

outside of the US kids, Suzuki is a treat to watch, very smart and cerebral player...like Kaliyev should be in the top 10-12 picks..I also like Cozens, big kid with skill...6'3 with some decent wheels too...I think he goes 5-8 range but definitely a player to be really excited on.

this draft is really deep offensively, not so much defensively which is good because we really need the BPA's to be forwards when we pick!

Reactions: Kevin Musto and pvr

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
and after posting what I did just prior, I watched the Hamilton/Owen Sound feed and Kaliyev was a f***ing beast out there again tonight. he went toe to toe with 2017 1st rounder Nick Suzuki. Kaliyev with 2 more goals and another primary assist - 16 goals and 27 points for this kid so far...16 goals in 17 games....YEP! he is still only 17 years old, doesn't turn 18 until next June.

Entwistle has been his center for much of the past few weeks as well, Entwistle has looked great too, especially taking faceoffs and going to the net.

I have already stated my support for drafting Kaliyev, but if that isn't enough for Bowman to draft this kid, do it for Entwistle!!!

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
We’re all waiting for *that* high end player taken with a lottery pick (or later) who’s going to take the Hawks to the top of the mountain again. Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, or Turcotte, ...Boqvist...Mitchell...DeBrincat...Jokiharju...Schmaltz???

Unfortunately, the league is littered with highly regarded, highly drafted kids who never contribute enough when it most matters, in *that* game or series in the playoffs, if even they make it there. Not fulfilling the drafted promise as young men in the spotlight. Piled them up in Edmonton...still are.

How many times did Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Seabrook, or Crawford step up at the necessary moment to take the team to the next level? They just had that certain steely will and mental fortitude, performed at the exact time and place needed to succeed where others wilted. Very fortunate and spoiled to have so many on the team at once...the reason for the Cups. Very difficult to get that mix again.

Who are our next TKK? We need a few, or more.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
One mock has Hawks taking Newhook at 14. Could see them picking in that 12-15 range with a healthy Crow

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
One mock has Hawks taking Newhook at 14. Could see them picking in that 12-15 range with a healthy Crow
Terrible range to pick...bad enough to not make the playoffs, too good to get the really high end player unless lucky.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Terrible range to pick...bad enough to not make the playoffs, too good to get the really high end player unless lucky.

Its a deep draft at forward and guys do fall to mid 1st that end up being really good players. I mean, Schmaltz, Cat and Saad were all out of lottery picks. Think some on here like Newhook. If the Hawks add an impact forward in free agency then its fine.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Anyone like the idea of drafting a LHD like Broberg, York etc if they feel strongly about adding a top 6 winger via trade or free agency...

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Anyone like the idea of drafting a LHD like Broberg, York etc if they feel strongly about adding a top 6 winger via trade or free agency...
I'm high on York, but not Broberg.

It comes down to BPA at the end of the day. Even if BPA is another RHD, that's still the best option.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
not opposed to it, York is dynamic... we can add forwards through FA like you said, shit, adding a Dzingle to this team helps a lot for depth...Sikura will come up shortly now that Colliton is here and will start to showcase his skill..

imagine a young defense corp of:
Joker
Boqvist
Mitchell
Krys
Beaudin
York

hahaha, that is insanely sick....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events