2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
There should be absolutely no way Kakko is worst case scenario.

Yeah that’s one of the dumbest opinions I’ve seen posted around here lately. You always always take BPA but if you somehow luck into #1OA man would it be hard not to still consider Kakko.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
You definitely have to consider Kakko at 1. If Hughes goes 1st and Hawks have #2 pick, Kakko is an easy pick

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Care to elaborate why?
I value leadership. Guys who are good in the locker room and who can be a representative face for the team.

I'm not saying every player has to be that. It's just something I like and it doesn't affect my rankings.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I value leadership. Guys who are good in the locker room and who can be a representative face for the team.

I'm not saying every player has to be that. It's just something I like and it doesn't affect my rankings.

And Kakko at 17-18 years old you already know has poor leadership qualities?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I can see someone saying they don't want a certain player at #2, I just don't really see that with Kakko but to each their own. I said it before and will say it again - I think this top 10 is deep enough that if we pick anywhere outside the top 3, I can see Bowman dropping down a bit to the 7-9 range if they feel "their" guy will be there, and their guy is usually a bit different than most.

I am only cool with that if we package our 2nd in that move or another piece and get to move into the late 1st with us dropping down. I have no delusions of getting Knight as I think he goes higher than most will acknowledge right now - but a kid like Bobby Brink rings Kelley/Bowman all day every day - skill, skill, skill and underrated.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I can see someone saying they don't want a certain player at #2, I just don't really see that with Kakko but to each their own. I said it before and will say it again - I think this top 10 is deep enough that if we pick anywhere outside the top 3, I can see Bowman dropping down a bit to the 7-9 range if they feel "their" guy will be there, and their guy is usually a bit different than most.

I am only cool with that if we package our 2nd in that move or another piece and get to move into the late 1st with us dropping down. I have no delusions of getting Knight as I think he goes higher than most will acknowledge right now - but a kid like Bobby Brink rings Kelley/Bowman all day every day - skill, skill, skill and underrated.
Drafting down is certainly a possibility.

Let's say we get leapfrogged by 2 teams, and we're picking at #9. I don't mind trading 9th overall to Minnesota for 14th + 44th overall (just an example).

Then trade 44th + 38th (our second) to move up to a mid 20 pick.

Draft Brink + Pelletier with 14th and mid 20 pick.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
And Kakko at 17-18 years old you already know has poor leadership qualities?
I don't see him having a voice in the room. He doesn't really speak English or at least he's very shy when it comes to speaking the language. Panarin is the same way. Obviously an incredible amount of skill there but that guy is never going to step in and rally up the team after rough period or be out there to address the media as a spokesperson.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Drafting down is certainly a possibility.

Let's say we get leapfrogged by 2 teams, and we're picking at #9. I don't mind trading 9th overall to Minnesota for 14th + 44th overall (just an example).

Then trade 44th + 38th (our second) to move up to a mid 20 pick.

Draft Brink + Pelletier with 14th and mid 20 pick.
you and Pelletier lol...that is your guy this year I see!

I would be fine with that as well, I would prefer to not drop out of the top 10 at all, it would depend on where that other 1st would land us. I trust Kelley and Bowman with getting us guys regardless of where we pick, but this organization needs another top 10 pick IMO though your scenario has us at 9th OV so yeah not a massive drop there either.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't see him having a voice in the room. He doesn't really speak English or at least he's very shy when it comes to speaking the language. Panarin is the same way. Obviously an incredible amount of skill there but that guy is never going to step in and rally up the team after rough period or be out there to address the media as a spokesperson.

Based on what? Leadership is also stepping up in big moments and he has done that (WJC). Not wanting to draft a player due to language at this point is basically not wanting to draft a player because he is a ginger.

You are making claims here that are not really true. If he can yell “Let’s f***ing go” he can rally the team. You don’t have to give an Any Given Sunday speech to rally a team...

Kakko’s talent and ability is why you take him not because he can talk tor he media or rally the team.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
you and Pelletier lol...that is your guy this year I see!

I would be fine with that as well, I would prefer to not drop out of the top 10 at all, it would depend on where that other 1st would land us. I trust Kelley and Bowman with getting us guys regardless of where we pick, but this organization needs another top 10 pick IMO though your scenario has us at 9th OV so yeah not a massive drop there either.
Between Pelletier, Caufield, Brink, and Hoglander, it's a great year for smaller wingers. Sheshin and Strondala are also worth mentioning.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Based on what? Leadership is also stepping up in big moments and he has done that (WJC). Not wanting to draft a player due to language at this point is basically not wanting to draft a player because he is a ginger.

You are making claims here that are not really true. If he can yell “Let’s ****ing go” he can rally the team. You don’t have to give an Any Given Sunday speech to rally a team...

Kakko’s talent and ability is why you take him not because he can talk tor he media or rally the team.
I've said nothing about not drafting him. BPA is the way to go and I have him #2. That being said, I'm allowed to have favourites and Kakko isn't one. Hughes, Byram, Turcotte, Krebs, Pelletier, Boldy, Pelletier, Hoglander are all guys that I "like" more. Doesn't mean I think they should all be drafted ahead of Kakko.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Between Pelletier, Caufield, Brink, and Hoglander, it's a great year for smaller wingers. Sheshin and Strondala are also worth mentioning.
don't forget Rhett Pitlick - cousin of Tyler Pitlick and brother to Rhem Pitlick - kid lit up Minny HS and now in the USHL where he looks good too...seems to be a name creeping in some top 45 lists now.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm starting to do the write-ups for my rankings and it's getting me excited about some of the prospects this year.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I've said nothing about not drafting him. BPA is the way to go and I have him #2. That being said, I'm allowed to have favourites and Kakko isn't one. Hughes, Byram, Turcotte, Krebs, Pelletier, Boldy, Pelletier, Hoglander are all guys that I "like" more. Doesn't mean I think they should all be drafted ahead of Kakko.

That is fine and you 100% have the right but I am not arguing that. I am arguing that your claims about leadership, etc are unfounded and most likely not accurate.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Can you provide any proof or documentation at all regarding his lack of leadership and lack of English?
Lack of English is in the fact that there is zero documentation of him speaking a word of the language. He always uses a translator.

Leadership shouldn't be an issue in Finland, but if he comes over here he'll have a tough time communicating with his teammates.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Lack of English is in the fact that there is zero documentation of him speaking a word of the language. He always uses a translator.

Leadership shouldn't be an issue in Finland, but if he comes over here he'll have a tough time communicating with his teammates.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say there are plenty of other examples of 18 year olds that were drafted and spoke little English at the time and wound up doing just fine.

Mikko Koivu went from Finland to the AHL for a season and then the NHL and eventually became a captain.

Reactions: BK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany