2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
according to Bobby Mac, there are none of his scouts that have Kakko ahead of Hughes- none. I haven't seen a legit scouting service that has him ahead as well yet...not saying it can't happen, but I think the odds are overwhelmingly that Hughes is going #1.
That is fine, if that is the case I hope the Hawks get #2 if they jump up because Kakko would make this team better faster and is, in my opinion a better fit for this team, and a better all around player. IMO, the Hughes/Kakko argument is like Kane/Hossa. Both are great players but they're different. I'd take Hossa in most cases. I think whoever takes Hughes 1st will end up regretting it. Hughes might be a better offensive prospect, but I think Kakko is going to surprise some people.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
1st Round- Turcotte, Zegras or Boldy
2nd Round- Knight if available, Afanasyev, Firstov, Teply, Foote
3rd Round-
4th Round x 2-McCarthy, Soegaard, Thrun, Webber, Farinacci, Fairbrother
5th Round x 2-Moberg, Clarke, Washkurak, Barinka, Alnefelt
6th Round-Frisch, Weight, Helleson, Guzda
7th Round- Anyone

Preferences in BOLD

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
They only have two 1sts.

Nobody has three 1sts in this draft. Buffalo did but traded one of them at the deadline.

They could have up to 4, actually. Their own, the Jets’ pick if it’s not top-3, the Stars’ pick if they win 3 rounds in the playoffs, and the Lightning’s 1st if they win the Stanley Cup.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
They could have up to 4, actually. Their own, the Jets’ pick if it’s not top-3, the Stars’ pick if they win 3 rounds in the playoffs, and the Lightning’s 1st if they win the Stanley Cup.
So 2 for sure and maybe 3 if the cup favourite wins. No way Dallas wins 3 rounds.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Pretty much. I forgot that the Tampa 1st was conditional on Tampa winning the Stanley Cup.
So let's say we get 1stOA and Rangers have 3 firsts, you're saying you would trade down for all 3?

That would be something like 1st for 8th, 26th, and 31st. I wouldn't do that personally.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
So let's say we get 1stOA and Rangers have 3 firsts, you're saying you would trade down for all 3?

That would be something like 1st for 8th, 26th, and 31st. I wouldn't do that personally.

Not if it’s 8th, 26th, and 31st. If it was 5 or higher, 20, and 31, I would strongly consider it because 20 gives you a shot at Knight. The idea is that you get one of the Zegras/Turcotte/Byram group with the highest 1st, Knight with the 20th (or possibly 20th and a minor piece to trade up to get Knight), and best available forward at 31. If we got something like Zegras, Knight, and Grewe for Hughes, I’d strongly consider that, but again, I really like all 3 of those prospects. I’m not saying I would for sure trade down or that the Rangers would even be willing to give up that much, but I would definitely consider it.

I’d also be perfectly happy sticking with Hughes and adding him to help become better both immediately and in the future. I think I would play Hughes at RW with Strome and DeBrincat his first year. You also have the option of leaving Hughes at C and rolling with 3 scoring lines. I think his playmaking would work really well with Strome and DeBrincat though.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
How do you know what they got yet? I mean cam barker was highly thought of even after he was in the nhl until he was shown to be bad.

Hopefully these guys work out but only cat has so far.
Ian Mitchell will pan out.

Krys and Kayumov definitely have the potential, but it's not a sure thing.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
for many, ISS is the best list around -
ISS Hockey Releases ISS Top 31 for March, Rankings of the Top Prospects for the 2019 NHL Draft - ISS Hockey

Byram the highest I have seen so far...

Boldy ahead of Zegras and Turcotte - I said it prior, Boldy is the surprise in this draft, kid is physically mature and so versatile to step in possibly next year at the NHL level and contribute in some fashion.

Knight is the #1 goalie as well..

overall solid list, you can make a case for sliding a few names up or down, but overall the right names are at least here IMO.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
based off the ISS list, and if we picked 7th, it would land us Matthew Boldy...pretty much the type of player we lack on our wings...solid size, grit, skill, and versatility...Boldy has been a name constantly rising as he rotates all over the USNDP lineup and just keeps producing regardless of his linemates. And he RARELY plays with Hughes or even Zegras so this kid finds ways to generate on his own.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
based off the ISS list, and if we picked 7th, it would land us Matthew Boldy...pretty much the type of player we lack on our wings...solid size, grit, skill, and versatility...Boldy has been a name constantly rising as he rotates all over the USNDP lineup and just keeps producing regardless of his linemates. And he RARELY plays with Hughes or even Zegras so this kid finds ways to generate on his own.
Yeah if we don't move up, Boldy is a very likely target.

He's the missing piece for our 1LW hole. Should've been Saad, but that hasn't worked out.

And as you said, Boldy plays on the 4th line a lot which makes his production so much more impressive. He drives his line and doesn't need to rely on elite talent.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014

I’d be happy with this. He’s further down the list for me than my big 3 of Zegras/Turcotte/Byram but he’s still a really solid player. He gets underrated kind of like Tkachuk did last year. If we’re at 7 or 8, I’d be happy with him as I think we could use someone like him.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Boldy was my top pick, but Turcotte has inched past him slightly. If the Hawks weren't so deep in D prospects, it might be different. There's not one iota of disappointment in me if the Hawks end up with Boldy at the end of the day.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Boldy was my top pick, but Turcotte has inched past him slightly. If the Hawks weren't so deep in D prospects, it might be different. There's not one iota of disappointment in me if the Hawks end up with Boldy at the end of the day.

Given the Hawks needs and what they have in the pipeline currently this is a great draft to get a F. From the research I've done I'd only expect 1 defenseman to go in the top 10.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Given the Hawks needs and what they have in the pipeline currently this is a great draft to get a F. From the research I've done I'd only expect 1 defenseman to go in the top 10.
Smart drafting last year for defense, this year for center>winger. Lots of dmen last year, very few qualitatively similar this year, opposite for forwards.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Smart drafting last year for defense, this year for center>winger. Lots of dmen last year, very few qualitatively similar this year, opposite for forwards.

Last year I think they just went BPA, and likely will do the same this year, and I think both draft years in that regard workout perfect for the Hawks and their needs. I won't be upset at all if they draft a winger or a forward this year.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Last year I think they just went BPA, and likely will do the same this year, and I think both draft years in that regard workout perfect for the Hawks and their needs. I won't be upset at all if they draft a winger or a forward this year.
Although this is a good forward draft, if we're in a position where Byram is BPA, he's definitely worth taking. I know we've been drafting a lot of defenders but it wouldn't hurt to add Byram. Next year is also a good forward draft.

Byram-Boqvist
Beaudin-Mitchell
Krys-Jokiharju
Carlsson

Basically all I'm saying is we shouldn't be dead set on a forward just in case Byram were to fall to us. It may be a forward heavy draft but that doesn't take away from his talent.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Although this is a good forward draft, if we're in a position where Byram is BPA, he's definitely worth taking. I know we've been drafting a lot of defenders but it wouldn't hurt to add Byram. Next year is also a good forward draft.

Byram-Boqvist
Beaudin-Mitchell
Krys-Jokiharju
Carlsson

Basically all I'm saying is we shouldn't be dead set on a forward just in case Byram were to fall to us. It may be a forward heavy draft but that doesn't take away from his talent.
excellent point. again by using the phrase of BPA is purely subjective per each individual, the consensus should be that Byram is a talent and where he falls in the draft top 10 is purely on the person or team picking at the given moment.

i have had Byram rated at #5 for quite some time. but hey i am a fan ......

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
Anyone else going to see Jack Hughes and Co. take on the Steel tonight? Buddy and I are gonna take the trip to Geneva and check em out. I’m excited to see Hughes of course, but we kinda got a little debate running on who’s the best prospect in Zegras or turcotte. So I’m looking forward to seeing em in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad