2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I've always been a big believer in best player available. If it ends being a dman so be it. Select him without hesitation.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Anyone else going to see Jack Hughes and Co. take on the Steel tonight? Buddy and I are gonna take the trip to Geneva and check em out. I’m excited to see Hughes of course, but we kinda got a little debate running on who’s the best prospect in Zegras or turcotte. So I’m looking forward to seeing em in person.
Pretty sure its the U17s tonight

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Although this is a good forward draft, if we're in a position where Byram is BPA, he's definitely worth taking. I know we've been drafting a lot of defenders but it wouldn't hurt to add Byram. Next year is also a good forward draft.

Byram-Boqvist
Beaudin-Mitchell
Krys-Jokiharju
Carlsson

Basically all I'm saying is we shouldn't be dead set on a forward just in case Byram were to fall to us. It may be a forward heavy draft but that doesn't take away from his talent.

I wouldn't pass up a D as BPA either, but I don't think there will be a D worth considering as the BPA where we draft from the mock drafts I've looked at (assuming we pick 6-8 ish). I think 1o is the earliest I've seen someone on D go in a mock.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I wouldn't pass up a D as BPA either, but I don't think there will be a D worth considering as the BPA where we draft from the mock drafts I've looked at (assuming we pick 6-8 ish). I think 1o is the earliest I've seen someone on D go in a mock.
I'd agree with that. It's far more likely BPA will be a forward.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Although this is a good forward draft, if we're in a position where Byram is BPA, he's definitely worth taking. I know we've been drafting a lot of defenders but it wouldn't hurt to add Byram. Next year is also a good forward draft.

Byram-Boqvist
Beaudin-Mitchell
Krys-Jokiharju
Carlsson

Basically all I'm saying is we shouldn't be dead set on a forward just in case Byram were to fall to us. It may be a forward heavy draft but that doesn't take away from his talent.

That would give us an elite potential LHD so I’m on board with drafting Byram. He’s part of my big-3 as I’ve mentioned a few times now. For me, it’s Hughes, Kakko and then Zegras/Turcotte/Byram are my 3/4/5 in no specific order although I’d be more inclined to take Zegras or Turcotte at 3 than Byram. I’d be so down for a Killer Bs top pairing of Byram-Boqvist.

I don’t think any of our LHD prospects are top-pairing defensemen. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us make a trade using one of our defensemen prospects. I think it would be Jokiharju or Beaudin that gets traded. I don’t think Boqvist gets moved unless it’s an elite young player coming back.

Reactions: LDF and Kevin Musto

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Anyone else going to see Jack Hughes and Co. take on the Steel tonight? Buddy and I are gonna take the trip to Geneva and check em out. I’m excited to see Hughes of course, but we kinda got a little debate running on who’s the best prospect in Zegras or turcotte. So I’m looking forward to seeing em in person.

I’m torn on Zegras and Turcotte. I think Zegras is better offensively, but Turcotte’s the better two-way player. I’d be thrilled with either player. It’s like Hughes/Boqvist last year. I liked Hughes a little bit more because of the concussions for Boqvist but still thought from a talent perspective that they were pretty close to equal.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I’m torn on Zegras and Turcotte. I think Zegras is better offensively, but Turcotte’s the better two-way player. I’d be thrilled with either player. It’s like Hughes/Boqvist last year. I liked Hughes a little bit more because of the concussions for Boqvist but still thought from a talent perspective that they were pretty close to equal.
Weird.

I currently have Turcotte and Zegras in the same spots that I had Hughes and Boqvist...

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
yeah....drool....lol
XVnY.gif

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Curtly we sit at the 8th draft slot pre-lotto....we could fall to 7th or 6th if Edmonton and Vancouver overtake us (Van gets perhaps a big boost from Qin Hughes saviour effect as he joins them....maybe he impacts them to a win streak...though he did not make Michigan a winner this season despite his production help).

On the other hand ,too many wins by us and we could vault past NYR BUFF and FlA who are 1-3 points ahead if us in league standings currently...As 5 up so that looks less likely ...but then our realistic potential draft range looks like 6-12 pre-loot...probably we still land middle-of-the-road this range which is 8-10...

We do not seem to want to tank nor do I expect 90% victories the rest of this schedule .. So I think 8-10 may be the final resting place..

We could win a lotto draw if lucky and get a top 3...or get bad luck and get shoved down 1 or 2 spots after lotto (having 3 teams above us in final standings all win lotto would be crazy...2 is possible but unlikely..1 is very probable... So I am saying either we get a top 3 via lotto win or we probably draft 9-10 ...

Do you really thin the hockey gods will let us win a top via lotto? More likely they favourite Avs such that they get Two top 3 picks after lotto...the Ottawa pick and their own with a lotto win or 2 lotto wins..

Imagine if they got Hughes and Kako or Hughes and Podkolzin or Kako and Podkolzin...they could be Tampa Bay deep in talent .

You do not think instead the hockey gods would ever dare let us win a lot to draw for a top 3 ...do you?

I would not expect the unexpected ...we can't get that lucky ...our Karma was used up in those 3 Cups and the house key gods must bestow the good fortune elsewhere ...cause it ain't our turn yet.

So imagine we draft 8-10 ...who is left on the board for Stan to take?

Maybe Turcotte makes it to 8th...but I think he is off the board before that ..

8-10 probably Krebs Boldy Zegras or smurf sniper Cole Caulfield ...

The idea of another smurf sniper like D-Cat in Caulfield probably appeals to Stan...

Just saying. ..

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I usually don't dive deep into the draft until I know where the Hawks are picking. As of right now I hope they jump to 2. If not, I just hope they don't lose position. Should they jump to 1 or 3 they should look to move down with the #2 team or into the 5-7 range.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I usually don't dive deep into the draft until I know where the Hawks are picking. As of right now I hope they jump to 2. If not, I just hope they don't lose position. Should they jump to 1 or 3 they should look to move down with the #2 team or into the 5-7 range.

I was actually thinking this same exact thing. In a weird way I almost hope they get the second pick over the first in a dream scenario.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I was actually thinking this same exact thing. In a weird way I almost hope they get the second pick over the first in a dream scenario.
Me too. Especially if what McKenzie is saying is true, that everyone has Hughes above Kakko. Picking #3 really sucks this year. Who would you pick if the Hawks had #3 and couldn't trade down?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Me too. Especially if what McKenzie is saying is true, that everyone has Hughes above Kakko. Picking #3 really sucks this year. Who would you pick if the Hawks had #3 and couldn't trade down?

I don’t know prospects well enough to say, but I did look into Boldy this week who is projected to go 5-8 give or take and I really like what I read about him.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Drafting #2 is like worst case scenario for me. I'd rather be drafting #1 for Hughes, #3 for Turcotte/Byram, or staying around #7-8 for Boldy/Krebs/Zegras/Pelletier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad