GDT: 2019 Draft Lottery

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I think Turcotte has potential to be the 2nd best Center and most complete player in this draft. He's a competitive two-way player like Larkin without the blazing Larkin speed. I think Turcotte might have better playmaker/passing skills than Larkin. And is as good shooter and good stick handler as Larkin. His skating speed is good, just doesn't have the top speed and edge work as Larkin. In fact, I think Turcotte's edgework might be his one weakness that could use improvement. Probably a 25-30 goal and 60-70 point guy if I'm guessing conservatively. But brings intangibles and leadership.... like Larkin.

Turcotte is definitely a Red Wings -type player.

Hmm sounds like something I’d love to take anywhere from 3-7. If we had larkin-turcotte-Valeno down the middle that would be crazy good

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
I want the #2 and take Kakko. He's NHL ready right now and will be an instant improvement for the team. He's going to be a super star.

It's tough because we need Dmen and centers, but Kakko is special. Moreso than Zadina.

Kakko is Laine 2.0

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Podkolzin
Byram
Dach
Cozens
Krebs
Turcotte
Zegras
Boldy.

3-10.
That's pretty much the consensus 'best of the rest'. And it's really, really close between all of them. As far as I'm concerned there are only two lotteries that matter, 1st and 2nd, who are head and shoulders above everyone else. The other lottery allows the team to pick from that grouping above. But at that stage, even if in the worst case the Wings pick 7th, its still possible they could get their target among that group. Take last year for example, the Wings lost a spot but got the player they considered 2nd best at 6th.

Trust in the process. Tomorrow is a big day, sure, but it takes more than a few of those to build a contender.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Kakko plays almost nothing like Laine but sure, I guess all Fins play the same as each other. :facepalm:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Pausing the debate on the degree of importance of a top 3 pick...

Only 14 hours left! Bring on the team logos, and may Colorado drop to 4th!

Reactions: HisNoodliness

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Who is the consensus No.3 pick? Outside of Hughes and Kakko it seems like 3-7 are pretty close?

It's basically
1a, 1b Hughes kakko
3a, 3b padz bryam
Then its 5-12.

So obviously we want top 4 to get the best talent, but keep in mind if we get 2nd or 3rd, were getting another winger. So really you wanna hope we get 1st or 4th. Center or defenseman. If we drop to 5 6 or 7 then there's other damn good centers or defenseman just not as high as the top 4.

The other thing to remember the drop of from this year from 1 to 4 isn't near as bad as it is in other drafts. It's pretty deep high end talent pool.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Pausing the debate on the degree of importance of a top 3 pick...

Only 14 hours left! Bring on the team logos, and may Colorado drop to 4th!
If Colorado drops to 4th, that means Wings will be 7th.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It's basically
1a, 1b Hughes kakko
3a, 3b padz bryam
Then its 5-12.

So obviously we want top 4 to get the best talent, but keep in mind if we get 2nd or 3rd, were getting another winger. So really you wanna hope we get 1st or 4th. Center or defenseman. If we drop to 5 6 or 7 then there's other damn good centers or defenseman just not as high as the top 4.

The other thing to remember the drop of from this year from 1 to 4 isn't near as bad as it is in other drafts. It's pretty deep high end talent pool.

I think Byram goes somewhere between 8-11.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I haven't read every post, is this supposed to be a bad thing?

I would take Laine on my team because of his goal scoring prowess, but honestly, if i'm drafting top 2 i'd hope for a better overall player than Laine is now. Despite being able to score goals, he's a very limited player.

Reactions: jkutswings

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Wings could also be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, or 6th if Colorado drops to 4.
It was a joke.

But if you want to be concrete specific, if Colorado drops to 4th, Wings can only be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 7th.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
No. If 3 teams leap frog Colorado we CANT get 5th or 6th. Its 1 2 3 or 7.

That's not true. If the 2nd, 3rd, and say 12th teams leapfrog Colorado we would only move down 1 spot in that scenario...meaning we could draft 5th. This is because the 2nd and 3rd teams aren't leapfrogging us because they are already ahead of us.

Reactions: NEWing

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That's not true. If the 2nd, 3rd, and say 12th teams leapfrog Colorado we would only move down 1 spot in that scenario...meaning we could draft 5th. This is because the 2nd and 3rd teams aren't leapfrogging us because they are already ahead of us.

It’s a rough morning with all the excitement that the day holds

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
I did the Lottery Simulator for the first time and on my first try Detroit was #3.

Of course, then I did it again and Detroit was #6, Arizona was #1 and Chicago was #2. If both the #1 and #2 picks were teams jumping that many spots I would lose my mind.

I did it 7 times, and Detroit literally came up in every spot possible. Literally every spot #1-#7, in seven tries. Its truly going to be the luck of the draw. We could beat the odds or we could fare worse than the odds. If you have a god, then please start praying to him/her/it. Sacrifices would be welcome now too.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Draft lottery starts at 8 right? Is that when the actual results are announced or is that later in a one hour show or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad