GDT: 2019 Draft Lottery

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I care deeply about the success about my favorite sports teams, but I don't feel disenfranchised when I'm not handed things for being bad at something. Entitlement is a sickness.

I’m sorry. I should have made sure to include :sarcasm:. Clearly I don’t care about this. I just get angry when Chicago get fed free entrees (top 3 pick from 12, Florida with Dale Tallon basically being their “get out of **** contracts free” locale.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I’m sorry. I should have made sure to include :sarcasm:. Clearly I don’t care about this. I just get angry when Chicago get fed free entrees (top 3 pick from 12, Florida with Dale Tallon basically being their “get out of **** contracts free” locale.
I figured, but I thought you might be hitting the whole "none of us have any say on anything for this franchise" angle.
Hey man, I've had to deal with these Chicago pseudo-hockey fans for far too long. I was getting texts from everyone- from my uncle, who didn't watch a game this year, to my barber bragging about moving up. So f*** the hawks.

I've learned I don't care about standings watching anymore, next year I'll watch hockey all year, enjoy it, and let the balls fall.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I figured, but I thought you might be hitting the whole "none of us have any say on anything for this franchise" angle.
Hey man, I've had to deal with these Chicago pseudo-hockey fans for far too long. I was getting texts from everyone- from my uncle, who didn't watch a game this year, to my barber bragging about moving up. So **** the hawks.

I've learned I don't care about standings watching anymore, next year I'll watch hockey all year, enjoy it, and let the balls fall.

I'm waiting for my balls to drop too

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Derp, so is there some logic like getting Hirose and 6th OA is like drafting at 3 or 4? The thinly veiled potshots at us who were preferring the tank all year is getting a little ridiculous

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I suppose this explanation could be wrong, but:

Everything you need to know about the 2019 NHL Draft Lottery

"The league uses a system where 14 balls numbered 1-14 are placed into a chamber. Balls are drawn one at a time to create a four-digit sequence that corresponds to a board where 1,001 possible combinations have been divvied up at random among the 15 teams based on the lottery odds. The team with the matching combination wins the pick."

And here's the published table of numbers from 2016, which definitely seems random:

I think it's a hodgepodge every time.

Damn, according to this article Down Goes Brown: Eight games that changed the results of the... it's not randomized and the winning combinations are awarded by draft slot

Quote from article "That gives them 1,001 combinations, which they assign in advance to the qualifying teams. Those combinations are handed out based on the final standings, which means that it’s not really teams that are winning or losing the lottery at all – it’s spots in the standings."

These were this years number combinations http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/NHL-Lottery-2019-By-TEAM-SEQ.pdf

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Derp, so is there some logic like getting Hirose and 6th OA is like drafting at 3 or 4? The thinly veiled potshots at us who were preferring the tank all year is getting a little ridiculous

What's even more ridiculous is when you put words in people's mouths to feel victimized.

Seriously, with the odds that we know now, we should have been hoping that we won out and took the Rangers slot. That's the thing with the lottery. You don't know where you are to pick. Say we lose 8 of 9 and we've got the second best odds going in. With the way it unfolded, we're picking 5th, not 6th and literally getting a player in the same pool of three guys that we're all getting comfortable with (Dach, Cozens, Byram).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Realistically, there is not much a difference between 4 and 6 in this draft because nobody can pin down who they even want to fall to 6. Some want Dach, some want Cozens, some Podkolzin, some Byram. some Turcotte.

So I don't understand a couple things

1) If there isn't a consensus of who we would want... why is it such a huge deal that we're taking 6th instead of 4th?
2) Best odds fell to 4th. 2nd best fell to 5th. Why should we have been gunning for the best odds possible again? Had we lost out, we gain *1* draft slot... in a grouping where the four guys around that pick are kind of a crapshoot.

Getting Hirose was a nice bonus and we potentially could have gotten a top 6 winger for free... but he's got nothing to do with whatever draft slot we have or if it's okay that we dropped or rose.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
What's even more ridiculous is when you put words in people's mouths to feel victimized.

Seriously, with the odds that we know now, we should have been hoping that we won out and took the Rangers slot. That's the thing with the lottery. You don't know where you are to pick. Say we lose 8 of 9 and we've got the second best odds going in. With the way it unfolded, we're picking 5th, not 6th and literally getting a player in the same pool of three guys that we're all getting comfortable with (Dach, Cozens, Byram).

Not putting words in people’s mouths and I’m definitely not feeling victimized it if people are going to imply somebody saying something they should do it directly

I’m really not as sure fire about Dach as some are but right now it’s a crapshoot anyways. Why should we have been hoping for the best possible odds again? You’re a fool If you don’t think it matters. Not much of a difference from choosing 4th and 6th? Wow that speaks for itself

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Since we're talking about the win streak, we have to talk about it in the context of the time. Not with any benefit of hindsight and knowing how the chips landed.

The team went like 9-2 in their last 11 games. But before that was a reality, and those games were still ahead of us, what was a more realistic hope? That the team would continue on a tear to finish the season and somehow win a lottery spot with worse odds? Or that the team would continue to play how they had for the rest of the season and get the best odds possible. I'd love to hear an argument that the former is the more rational view.

And look at what happened because of climbing the standings, at the very worst we missed out on the #5 over the #6. Not the worst thing in the world. The other possibility, is that we missed out on seeing Jack Hughes in a Wings jersey for the next 10-20 years.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Not putting words in people’s mouths and I’m definitely not feeling victimized it if people are going to imply somebody saying something they should do it directly

I’m really not as sure fire about Dach as some are but right now it’s a crapshoot anyways. Why should we have been hoping for the best possible odds again? You’re a fool If you don’t think it matters. Not much of a difference from choosing 4th and 6th? Wow that speaks for itself

Well I don't think 4th was ever really on the table cause we weren't going to catch Ottawa without an outright tank. But that's the thing though, we didn't even need to tank to fall below NJ and LA because we were already there to begin with. The only thing they needed to do was NOT be the best team in the league over that stretch. That's why that win streak was a f***ing disaster, and that's why cheering for it was always silly.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Realistically, there is not much a difference between 4 and 6 in this draft because nobody can pin down who they even want to fall to 6. Some want Dach, some want Cozens, some Podkolzin, some Byram. some Turcotte.

So I don't understand a couple things

1) If there isn't a consensus of who we would want... why is it such a huge deal that we're taking 6th instead of 4th?
2) Best odds fell to 4th. 2nd best fell to 5th. Why should we have been gunning for the best odds possible again? Had we lost out, we gain *1* draft slot... in a grouping where the four guys around that pick are kind of a crapshoot.

Getting Hirose was a nice bonus and we potentially could have gotten a top 6 winger for free... but he's got nothing to do with whatever draft slot we have or if it's okay that we dropped or rose.

Because the top 4 of Hughes, kakko, pad, and Bryam are better than the rest? Add dozens at 5, better than the rest.

Were getting a good player at 6, but the 5 rated higher(unless 1 falls of course) are the better rated prospects.

But who the hell knows how itll turn out, get back to me in 10 years....lol

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Because the top 4 of Hughes, kakko, pad, and Bryam are better than the rest? Add dozens at 5, better than the rest.

Were getting a good player at 6, but the 5 rated higher(unless 1 falls of course) are the better rated prospects.

Haven’t seen much consensus of a top 5, or even top 3 with many people thinking Podkolzin will fall. Some people think getting Turcotte at #6 is nearly impossible, you don’t even mention him.

And is Byram really so good or is it a case of being the only high-ranked D? How would people have drafted him compared to Bouchard/Hughes/Dobson last year?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because the top 4 of Hughes, kakko, pad, and Byram are better than the rest? Add dozens at 5, better than the rest.

That is your opinion though, the guys in 3,4,5 are not any better than the guys in 6,7,8. Most of the stuff you read, has Hughes, then slight drop to Kakko, and then a decent drop to the next 7 or so guys, who are about even. Only on HF where everyone has the guys they like does that change to, "Oh no, guy 5 is 1000 miles ahead of guy 6!" Like your "guys" all you want, that doesn't mean they are rated much higher if at all, by the actual scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->