2019 Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Lets just hope we have pick 1 or 2.

Too many options for 3, so more room for error.

Yes, I’d say if the Kings are outside the top 2, they may look to trade down and acquire more picks.

Nothing wrong with loading up on more draft capital over the next couple seasons.

Regardless, with multiple firsts, they will be in good position come the draft. Here’s to hoping the lottery balls bounce their way and the Leafs making an early exit in the playoffs.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yes, I’d say if the Kings are outside the top 2, they may look to trade down and acquire more picks.

Nothing wrong with loading up on more draft capital over the next couple seasons.

Regardless, with multiple firsts, they will be in good position come the draft. Here’s to hoping the lottery balls bounce their way and the Leafs making an early exit in the playoffs.

Little interest in trading down for me. Blake would need a great pulse on how the top 10 were going to go down to move down to get his guy.

Reactions: funky

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Would love to see Wagner paired with Kempe and Grundstrom for a few games in the third. That line would piss off a lot of teams with speed, for checking and elite speed

IMO Toffoli is hurting that line , I know he is trying to get going but he has become more selfish lately and kills the attack with his shots being off target or blocked more and more ......... but it is helping the tank so

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Dach is sliding down the boards rapidly. I have seen him fall out of the Top 10 in some mock drafts.
Where and according to whome? This is from a month ago now, but has all major scouting service's rankings

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-consensus-rankings-february/

Nearly universally ranked at #4 and #5 in combined rankings all while crushing it in the playoffs. I'd be ok if we grabbed Cozens yet I'd prefer Dach.

I've seen one recent list that had Dach lower.... Same list that was universally trashed and had wrong numbers for all the USHL players and several others.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
IMO Toffoli is hurting that line , I know he is trying to get going but he has become more selfish lately and kills the attack with his shots being off target or blocked more and more ......... but it is helping the tank so

Absolutely agree. The guy has no speed posted last night he has no hockey sense but maybe it’s actually selfishness. I would move him at the draft for a Dman. If for anything to use his salary elsewhere. Throw Carter on wing. Is still faster and a better overall player. I think we see a bounce back from Jeff next year. At the very worst he puts up Toffoli numbers off the wing with the ability to take draws and play better d

As for the draft can’t lose w a top 5 pick. Wouldn’t be trading down though.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Where and according to whome? This is from a month ago now, but has all major scouting service's rankings

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-consensus-rankings-february/

Nearly universally ranked at #4 and #5 in combined rankings all while crushing it in the playoffs. I'd be ok if we grabbed Cozens yet I'd prefer Dach.

I've seen one recent list that had Dach lower.... Same list that was universally trashed and had wrong numbers for all the USHL players and several others.

I have seen Dach around 6 or 7 in some mock drafts and that is a February rankings chart. It has evolved a bit. I don't think that he is a bad player at all. I just would rather have Cozens because I think Dach is a playmaker more than a scorer and I like how Cozens can play W or C whereas I think Dach is going to be a Center most likely. I think Dach is a bit more inconsistent in that he will light it up and then kind of disappear sometimes. Both of them are good players. If we got Dach, there would not be a complaint out of me at all if we were at 6 or 7 and Turcotte/Cozens were off the board.

You can also play with it at Tankathon and see where they pop up pretty consistently. It's all open for speculation and also needs.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I have seen Dach around 6 or 7 in some mock drafts and that is a February rankings chart. It has evolved a bit. I don't think that he is a bad player at all. I just would rather have Cozens because I think Dach is a playmaker more than a scorer and I like how Cozens can play W or C whereas I think Dach is going to be a Center most likely. I think Dach is a bit more inconsistent in that he will light it up and then kind of disappear sometimes. Both of them are good players. If we got Dach, there would not be a complaint out of me at all if we were at 6 or 7 and Turcotte/Cozens were off the board.

You can also play with it at Tankathon and see where they pop up pretty consistently. It's all open for speculation and also needs.
Exactly it has evolved and he is moving back up given his dominant play like early in the year if anything. Also I'm glad you would not complain if Dach dropped from his consensus ranking that slightly went down from #3/4 to #4/5 during a cold streak and now moving back up while being able to pick him as low as 6 or 7 lol. I usually am not a fan of play makers and love big powerful guys like E. Lindros, O. Nolan, D. Brown, etc which Cozens is along the lines of. Still even given that Dach's potential is just a clear tier above imo and most legit scouting services I've read.

Really as said this is a great draft if we drop out of the top 2. It would suck after the year we had, but I have little concern we won't leave the draft with a top end blue-chip prospect. I know I'll be happy with any pick outside of Zegras or some off the wall pick.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Exactly it has evolved and he is moving back up given his dominant play like early in the year if anything. Also I'm glad you would not complain if Dach dropped from his consensus ranking that slightly went down from #3/4 to #4/5 during a cold streak and now moving back up while being able to pick him as low as 6 or 7 lol. I usually am not a fan of play makers and love big powerful guys like E. Lindros, O. Nolan, D. Brown, etc which Cozens is along the lines of. Still even given that Dach's potential is just a clear tier above imo and most legit scouting services I've read.

Really as said this is a great draft if we drop out of the top 2. It would suck after the year we had, but I have little concern we won't leave the draft with a top end blue-chip prospect. I know I'll be happy with any pick outside of Zegras or some off the wall pick.

I think we are both on the same page in that there are some great options past 1 or 2 and we will get a great prospect. Whether it’s Dach, Cozens, Turcotte or whoever drops to us, our entire prospect pool will be better by having that pick as well as the other two high picks in round 1 and 2. I’m excited for it.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think Cozens has the higher floor but lower ceiling than Dach.

Right now I would probably have:
Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Krebs
Byram
Dach
Cozens

But am trying to watch more of all of them to get a better picture.

I've also seen people rate Boldy and Zegras fairly high. Zegras is very skilled but one dimensional. Boldy reminds me a lot of Mike Richards in my limited viewings

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I think Cozens has the higher floor but lower ceiling than Dach.

Right now I would probably have:
Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Krebs
Byram
Dach
Cozens

But am trying to watch more of all of them to get a better picture.

I've also seen people rate Boldy and Zegras fairly high. Zegras is very skilled but one dimensional. Boldy reminds me a lot of Mike Richards in my limited viewings

That is pretty much what I'm hoping our draft board looks like with maybe switching Byram and Krebs

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Ottawa 60 pts 77 games
Kings 65 pts 77 games
NJ 67 pts 78 games
DET 70 pts 78 games
BUF 72 pts 77 games

So, if the Kings go 2-3 last 5, lock for no better than 3rd worst...they would not catch Detroit. Hope NJ wins at least 2 of their last 4.
I do not do tankathon site, read tarot cards, or have a ping pong ball machine.

If Kings come in 29th or 30th, what's worst case scenario?

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Ottawa 60 pts 77 games
Kings 65 pts 77 games
NJ 67 pts 78 games
DET 70 pts 78 games
BUF 72 pts 77 games

So, if the Kings go 2-3 last 5, lock for no better than 3rd worst...they would not catch Detroit. Hope NJ wins at least 2 of their last 4.
I do not do tankathon site, read tarot cards, or have a ping pong ball machine.

If Kings come in 29th or 30th, what's worst case scenario?

The furthest any one team can drop is 3 spots.

So if the Kings are 30th, they could draft anywhere between 1-5, since right now they are in the position for 2nd overall.

If the Kings are 29th, they could draft anywhere from 1-6, since at 29th, they would be in position for 3rd overall.

Worst case scenario is Kings trade their 1st round pick for Milan Lucic, but I figure you meant worst case scenario of where they could draft.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Agree with that but a lot of people have started to undersell Podkolzin

1/2 Kakko
1/2 Hughes
3 Turcotte
4 Byram
5 Podkolzin
6 Krebs
I wouldnt touch Podkolzin with the Ducks d and the Sharks pushing. Russians and L.A. seem to never work.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Agree with that but a lot of people have started to undersell Podkolzin

1/2 Kakko
1/2 Hughes
3 Turcotte
4 Byram
5 Podkolzin
6 Krebs

If we're going by talentvand ability alone, I agree that Podkolzin is #3 or #4 at worst.

But he has apparently said he won't come to NA until he's ready, but he doesn't know when he'd ever be ready.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
The furthest any one team can drop is 3 spots.

So if the Kings are 30th, they could draft anywhere between 1-5, since right now they are in the position for 2nd overall.

If the Kings are 29th, they could draft anywhere from 1-6, since at 29th, they would be in position for 3rd overall.

Worst case scenario is Kings trade their 1st round pick for Milan Lucic, but I figure you meant worst case scenario of where they could draft.

Thanks! Lucic for anything is the worst case scenario for certain! No way the Kings could take Podkolzin...they need someone that will be able
to play this year or next. One of these will be a King.

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Byram
Zegras
Boldy
Krebs
Dach

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
What are everyone’s preferences in terms of a top 2(and why) if we are picking at 5-6 because it’s looking like that’s the worse we most likely could be if we drop 3 spots from a current 2nd or 3rd place worst finish.

My two are Cozens and Turcotte. I believe that Cozens checks all the boxes and can play C or W so if the worst happens with Vilardi, he can be our future #1 there or he can be an elite W with Kupari/Vilardi. Turcotte is a pure C and more of a playmaking guy so you really need a sniper to go with him.

As a side note, you could have something quite interesting if you pick Turcotte and pair him with a kid like Caufield as your 2nd pick.

I also am not touching Podkolzin and I don’t think the Kings would take him at either first round pick because they want to be assured that these picks are going to be under their control as soon as possible. Podkolzin is a guy that a deep team can chase and wait on because they don’t need him. The Kings need to get return on all 3 early picks.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I've read a lot of good things about Kirby Dach.

12 GP, 7 G, 15 A.
He's a 6'4 Center for Saskatoon in the WHL. Sounds like the complete package.
I've seen Kirby Dach a number of times! Love his size but not his hands or compete level. He is not the next Jeff Carter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad