2019 Draft: 3rd Pick: Ilya Konovalov

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
KHL goalies are hard to judge just on stats alone. Vasilevski in my mind is the only one who was a surefire NHL star from a young age with the way he looked in the WJC. Askarov might be in that same category and Shesterkin as well, we'll have to wait on Sorokin. Samsonov has struggled quite a bit, but he has similar stats to Vasilevski in the KHL. You really just don't know unless you get a chance to see these guys play or until they come over to NA.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Last year he started really really bad with McTavish as a coach.

Last year he was 36th in the league in s% and Pasquale was 8th. They massively upgraded on goal there, although Konovalov seems to have bounced back with less work this year.

I havent seen him play much this year but until he comes over to NA we will have no idea if he is good or bad.

The fact that Pasquale has great numbers over there and sucked in NA should say a lot.

Or Koskinen, or the guy in Colorado. It’s hard to judge until they get here.

Well the good thing is, he is just a pup at 22 years old. It's not like he's over 30 like Koskinen was. I think Francouz has been okay over here despite playing just 36 games but hasn't played yet this season due to injury. Not comparing him in terms of stats and play to Vasilevsky, but just in age...wasn't he in his early 20s when he came over to NA?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Oilers sign Konovalov to a 2 year ELC. If my memory is correct, because he is signing now, the current season counts towards the max 3 year ELC even though he won't play any games. Thus the 2 year deal. Excited to see what he can do in NA next season!

It starts next season. ELCs for 22/23 year olds are two years.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I've seen two videos of him and thats about it, but I can say I do love his lateral mobility. Looks very explosive in that regard, and it's something I've noticed in a lot of the Russian born goalies who end up making it at the NHL level (Bob, Vasi, Shesterkin, Samsonov, Sorokin). He unfortunately doesn't have the size of these guys but he does seem to have the athleticism. I don't know if it's something to do with the way they develop goalies over there, but they all seemed to have insanely good lateral explosiveness.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Hopefully we can develop one if Konovalov, Skinner or Rodrigue into at least a quality 1B.

Reactions: nally

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I've put my bet on this kid since we drafted him.

Make me look good, Kono.

Stylistically I like Konovalov the most out of our prospects. Looks very controlled, smooth, efficient, and powerful in his movements. Skinner is getting results but his overall movement and style is a bit ugly to watch.

Bonus clips, seems to be the anti-Koskinen glove hand:

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Stylistically I like Konovalov the most out of our prospects. Looks very controlled, smooth, efficient, and powerful in his movements. Skinner is getting results but his overall movement and style is a bit ugly to watch.

Bonus clips, seems to be the anti-Koskinen glove hand:

He's always reminded me of Saros, not just because of his size, but because he'll drop down into BF and stay within it and push off instead of pushing off into butterfly - which is a limiting movement, especially in the NHL - so hopefully he works on that when he gets here, like Saros had to.

He also seems to limit the angle of the shooter from the side in RVH which, at his size, will be an issue as well.

But his dynamics and agile movement have me excited.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I wonder if they will give him a shot with the big club next year or if hes 100% ear marked for the AHL.

I'm sure we will have two NHL goalies signed for next year plus Stalock (if we still have him). I don't see any scenario where Skinner or Konovalov could make the team. It's too early to expect them to even try to make the team.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Probably not much of a surprise but I've seen Konovalov has signed a contract with Dynamo Moskva.
If this has already been posted somewhere else on hfOil, just ignore this post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad