2019 Draft: 3rd Pick: Ilya Konovalov

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Konovalov is 7th in khl save percentage with a .930 % but Pasquale leads the league at .964, just rediculous

edit: the khl app is actually nice to use

It's nice to see him putting up decent stats, but the KHL is a very defensive league.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
At age 20, Vasilevsky ranked 25th. He played 28 games. (2013-14)
At age 20, Konovalev ranked around 10th. He only played 7 games. (2017-18)
That same year, Franoucz lead the league with .946 SV% and Koskinen ranked 5th with .937 SV%
And we saw during these playoffs that Francouz is not good enough to be a starter. Seems like KHL goalie stats hardly correlate to NHL success. Moreso with young prospects.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Hopefully this guy is our true #1 guy down the line. Anyone have any decent scouting reports on him? I hear his KHL deal is over after this season.

If you Hockey DB him, his numbers are unreal.

I understand that a lot of goalies have great KHL numbers that don't translate to the NHL level though.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Hopefully this guy is our true #1 guy down the line. Anyone have any decent scouting reports on him? I hear his KHL deal is over after this season.

I understand that a lot of goalies have great KHL numbers that don't translate to the NHL level though.

I'd expect him to compete for a back-up job next season, and likely end up being the AHL starter with Rodrigue being the AHL back-up.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'd expect him to compete for a back-up job next season, and likely end up being the AHL starter with Rodrigue being the AHL back-up.

Him vs. Rodrigue will be a fun battle to watch.

I like Konovalov more, but as we all know goalies (especially smaller ones) are voodoo...

Hopefully those they turn out better than Skinner and Wells (and Starrett, but he at least has the career-altering-injury excuse)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

His numbers the last 2 years, are definitely not unreal.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
They look pretty great to me. Some people are a little tougher to please i guess....

I think he's referring more to the broader context of GAA and SV% in the KHL.

There's some pretty juiced goalie numbers in the KHL, and Ilya is behind average goaltender numbers in that league at the moment.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I don't follow the KHL much, but I see Konovalov only played 19 games this year and Eddie Pasquale has started both their playoff games against Jokerit (shut them out both games). Did he regress a bit this year or was he injured why he lost the starters job? He played 40 games last year for them and looked to be their starter but Pasquale clearly became the #1 joining Lokomotiv this season and started 41 games.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I don't follow the KHL much, but I see Konovalov only played 19 games this year and Eddie Pasquale has started both their playoff games against Jokerit (shut them out both games). Did he regress a bit this year or was he injured why he lost the starters job? He played 40 games last year for them and looked to be their starter but Pasquale clearly became the #1 joining Lokomotiv this season and started 41 games.

Pasquale is some sort of KHL whisperer. He’s been stupid good there.

It isn’t that Konovalov has been bad it’s just been that Pasquale has been crazy good.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Pasquale is some sort of KHL whisperer. He’s been stupid good there.

It isn’t that Konovalov has been bad it’s just been that Pasquale has been crazy good.

I noticed his numbers...GAA below 2 and high s% but KHL sized ice. Konovalov is just 22 so maybe it's a good thing. I was just surprised he was relegated to #2 after winning rookie of the year two seasons ago.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I noticed his numbers...GAA below 2 and high s% but KHL sized ice. Konovalov is just 22 so maybe it's a good thing. I was just surprised he was relegated to #2 after winning rookie of the year two seasons ago.
Last year he started really really bad with McTavish as a coach.

Last year he was 36th in the league in s% and Pasquale was 8th. They massively upgraded on goal there, although Konovalov seems to have bounced back with less work this year.

I havent seen him play much this year but until he comes over to NA we will have no idea if he is good or bad.

The fact that Pasquale has great numbers over there and sucked in NA should say a lot.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Last year he started really really bad with McTavish as a coach.

Last year he was 36th in the league in s% and Pasquale was 8th. They massively upgraded on goal there, although Konovalov seems to have bounced back with less work this year.

I havent seen him play much this year but until he comes over to NA we will have no idea if he is good or bad.

The fact that Pasquale has great numbers over there and sucked in NA should say a lot.
Or Koskinen, or the guy in Colorado. It’s hard to judge until they get here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad