Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The answer to your question about the negativity is that Broberg isn’t Zegras. Draft night he declared him a bust and called him Benning 2.0.

The stuff today is relatively minor in terms of negativity.
Meh. Draft night i called him a big reach and a dumb pick too considering the hype the american kids had.
This goal was more than just a goal. Broberg being a Dman drove to the net seeing the rebound and made a skill move. I dont think Larsson did any of that as a junior. Also Larsson went pretty high in his draft and was compared to Hedman.

The pre playoffs camp and the game vs Flames will do wonders for the kid's confidence .

Reactions: Aerchon

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
I'd still rather have Zegras then Broberg. I lost my mind when they drafted him. I think I'll eat crow a little bit but we are still a ways away from seeing who is the better of the two. Broberg has developed quite the set of tools ill admit that.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Meh. Draft night i called him a big reach and a dumb pick too considering the hype the american kids had.
This goal was more than just a goal. Broberg being a Dman drove to the net seeing the rebound and made a skill move. I dont think Larsson did any of that as a junior. Also Larsson went pretty high in his draft and was compared to Hedman.

The pre playoffs camp and the game vs Flames will do wonders for the kid's confidence .

You aren’t seeking out reasons to diminish what he did.

Granted it’s just one goal but the fact he even thought to make the play is a good sign.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
I do think Holland nailed the pick. He even said the kids was a workhorse after the draft. I think part of drafting him was because he thought broberg had a higher development trajectory then most thought. I like GMs that foremost have skill to do that but also the balls. Saying "Hey if we don't get him here we won't get him at all" and identify individuals that have work ethic and tools to develop quicker is extremely tough and risky. Stevie Y's pretty good at that. I had a ton of doubts about his puck moving skills and Hockey IQ but he moves the puck surprisingly better now then when we drafted him. I watched highlights, read every scouting report, watch 3 or 4 games after we took him. Trying to make sense of it cause I was choked. Never could find much of anything to get me excited. but I guess thats why I'm not a pro scout..

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's at a floor level at least as offensively gifted as Klefbom and Nurse (30-40 point D) but I think he has offensive ability that looks like a notch or two above those guys.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd still rather have Zegras then Broberg. I lost my mind when they drafted him. I think I'll eat crow a little bit but we are still a ways away from seeing who is the better of the two. Broberg has developed quite the set of tools ill admit that.

I wasn’t to high on Zehras. He reminds me of a less skilled RNH. He’s also a poor goal scorer which will be even worse at the NHL level.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I know it's fun and all to do mock drafting, but of course any GM has all the information you have, only better info and more of it. It seems to me that Holland and his scouts identified that our team needed great skaters in the D, and that made Broberg the obvious pick, especially with Bouchard's high skill level but below average skating. The best picks are always the ones that address team needs the best.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I know it's fun and all to do mock drafting, but of course any GM has all the information you have, only better info and more of it. It seems to me that Holland and his scouts identified that our team needed great skaters in the D, and that made Broberg the obvious pick, especially with Bouchard's high skill level but below average skating. The best picks are always the ones that address team needs the best.
I think the other thing to consider is that the USNTDP basically played in Holland’s back yard in Plymouth all that year, and with the Wings picking high as well he would’ve known all those guys inside and out.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I do think Holland nailed the pick. He even said the kids was a workhorse after the draft. I think part of drafting him was because he thought broberg had a higher development trajectory then most thought. I like GMs that foremost have skill to do that but also the balls. Saying "Hey if we don't get him here we won't get him at all" and identify individuals that have work ethic and tools to develop quicker is extremely tough and risky. Stevie Y's pretty good at that. I had a ton of doubts about his puck moving skills and Hockey IQ but he moves the puck surprisingly better now then when we drafted him. I watched highlights, read every scouting report, watch 3 or 4 games after we took him. Trying to make sense of it cause I was choked. Never could find much of anything to get me excited. but I guess thats why I'm not a pro scout..

He's at a floor level at least as offensively gifted as Klefbom and Nurse (30-40 point D) but I think he has offensive ability that looks like a notch or two above those guys.

I think the other thing to consider is that the USNTDP basically played in Holland’s back yard in Plymouth all that year, and with the Wings picking high as well he would’ve known all those guys inside and out.

I think assuming Holland had very good knowledge of Zegras is a bit of a reach. Of course he knows more about any of these players better than any of us but just being accurate that certainly has not helped him more. I think any of us could draft as well as any major sporting team. On the surface anyways luck seems just as good as skill/knowledge.

This was Holland's pick. A personal preference. Visions of Lidstrom after falling in love after one great WJC years ago.

Nothing, yet, heavily suggests this prospect will be an nhler. Griffin Reinhart had more clear indications of greatness than Broberg has to date. Exaggeration to prove a point. We need to see a shit ton more from him in his draft +2 year before any unbiased person could say with certainty he will eventually be an nhl player.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I think assuming Holland had very good knowledge of Zegras is a bit of a reach. Of course he knows more about any of these players better than any of us but just being accurate that certainly has not helped him more. I think any of us could draft as well as any major sporting team. On the surface anyways luck seems just as good as skill/knowledge.

This was Holland's pick. A personal preference. Visions of Lidstrom after falling in love after one great WJC years ago.

Nothing, yet, heavily suggests this prospect will be an nhler. Griffin Reinhart had more clear indications of greatness than Broberg has to date. Exaggeration to prove a point. We need to see a shit ton more from him in his draft +2 year before any unbiased person could say with certainty he will eventually be an nhl player.

So what's a shit ton? 20point season?

Reactions: KYams17

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The answer to your question about the negativity is that Broberg isn’t Zegras. Draft night he declared him a bust and called him Benning 2.0.

The stuff today is relatively minor in terms of negativity.
Not even Benning 2.0. He declared Broberg was Holland's "Griffin Reinhart move." :rolleyes:

He also said he was going to stop bitching and moaning about Broberg until he had a legitimate reason to, but here we are 15 months later and he's still doing it. His "source in Sweden" must be sending some info the rest of us aren't privy to.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not even Benning 2.0. He declared Broberg was Holland's "Griffin Reinhart move." :rolleyes:

He also said he was going to stop bitching and moaning about Broberg until he had a legitimate reason to, but here we are 15 months later and he's still doing it. His "source in Sweden" must be sending some info the rest of us aren't privy to.

I also wasn’t a fan of the Broberg pick, but he could be Tonya Hardinged twice a day for the next five years and he’d still be a better skater than Reinhart on his best day.

Broberg will be a top 4 defenceman in this league, no doubt in my mind - but if he maxes out as, say, Nurse, then I don’t love the pick - Zegras was my guy.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I also wasn’t a fan of the Broberg pick, but he could be Tonya Hardinged twice a day for the next five years and he’d still be a better skater than Reinhart on his best day.

Broberg will be a top 4 defenceman in this league, no doubt in my mind - but if he maxes out as, say, Nurse, then I don’t love the pick - Zegras was my guy.

It wouldn't be a bad pick at all if he tops out as a Nurse-level player. Looking back, Nurse was a very solid pick, especially looking at some of the players who busted before him. A high end #3 (with room to grow), who can put up 30-40 points at ES is a solid pick at 8.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So what's a shit ton? 20point season?

For me it would be legit top 4 minutes on his team. Playing in every role. Putting up some points is always great but I want to hear how he is playing very well in an inferior league. For him to even be considered a solid nhl prospect he needs to start becoming one of the best in the SHL.

By the end of this year he should be trusted in most/all situations on his team.

Last year he wasn't trusted in the top 4 of his WJC team. He was the 5th at best defenseman on his WJC team. Not 5th best defenseman in that tourney. Not 5th best player period in tourney. Not 5th best defenseman on his SHL team... You get the picture.

I expect far more from a #8 pick in a strong draft than being a bottom pairing guy in junior tourneys and the SHL.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I've warmed up to him. I still think he tops out as a second pairing defender which isn't bad for a top 10 pick. I need to see a lot more to think he is a guaranteed top pairing guy like some people think. A training camp concluding with a terrible game against the Flames (yes it was his first ever real NA game, but he wasn't good) doesn't change that part.

I have warmed up overall to him, he isn't Benning 2.0 or anything like my day 1 over reaction, but he is also not a sure fire top pairing guy like some people want to believe either.

Reactions: Aerchon

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
You have to wonder. If Detroit didn't pick Seider, that Holland would have picked him, since he had privy to all scouting knowledge from the Red Wings.

Seeing more of Broberg.
I don't think he will be a Dman that throws punches like Nurse.
But It seems he has a higher ceiling than Nurse and Klefbom in overall potential. I am starting to like this prospect much more than on the day we drafted him.
Definitely starting to have some very high hopes for Broberg.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You have to wonder. If Detroit didn't pick Seider, that Holland would have picked him, since he had privy to all scouting knowledge from the Red Wings.

Seeing more of Broberg.
I don't think he will be a Dman that throws punches like Nurse.
But It seems he has a higher ceiling than Nurse and Klefbom in overall potential. I am starting to like this prospect much more than on the day we drafted him.
Definitely starting to have some very high hopes for Broberg.

Seider seems the better pick but i hope Holland would have gone for Broberg anyways. Both were reaches.

No idea why there are so many Nurse comparisons. Broberg really isn't like either Nurse or Klefbom although of the two I'd say closer to Klefbom. More of a jack of all trades master of none like Klefbom.

From limited viewing I don't think his skating is as good as people are gushing. Broberg is as raw as raw gets in ever facet. Not an elite passer, shooter, skater, defensively, offensively, grit, hitting, fighting, breaking up cycles...

He is above average size and skating has shown some skill and some defense but nothing to get excited about. He has a lòoooooong ways to go in every facet of the game.

I don't have any comparisons stylistically or realistically in terms of current or previous players. Does anyone know who he models his game after?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've warmed up to him. I still think he tops out as a second pairing defender which isn't bad for a top 10 pick. I need to see a lot more to think he is a guaranteed top pairing guy like some people think. A training camp concluding with a terrible game against the Flames (yes it was his first ever real NA game, but he wasn't good) doesn't change that part.

I have warmed up overall to him, he isn't Benning 2.0 or anything like my day 1 over reaction, but he is also not a sure fire top pairing guy like some people want to believe either.

who is calling him a sure fire top paring guy? Or is that something you need to invent just to win an argument?

Reactions: KYams17

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
For me it would be legit top 4 minutes on his team. Playing in every role. Putting up some points is always great but I want to hear how he is playing very well in an inferior league. For him to even be considered a solid nhl prospect he needs to start becoming one of the best in the SHL.

By the end of this year he should be trusted in most/all situations on his team.

Last year he wasn't trusted in the top 4 of his WJC team. He was the 5th at best defenseman on his WJC team. Not 5th best defenseman in that tourney. Not 5th best player period in tourney. Not 5th best defenseman on his SHL team... You get the picture.

I expect far more from a #8 pick in a strong draft than being a bottom pairing guy in junior tourneys and the SHL.

he played the most EV minutes and was on the top PK pair of Sweden’s WJHC team as the youngest Dman was he not? Not sure Id call that bottom pairing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It wouldn't be a bad pick at all if he tops out as a Nurse-level player. Looking back, Nurse was a very solid pick, especially looking at some of the players who busted before him. A high end #3 (with room to grow), who can put up 30-40 points at ES is a solid pick at 8.

IMO he has a higher upside than Nurse and Klef. This isn't his first highly skilled goal that he's scored. Would Nurse put up that kind of ES numbers on most teams that have better offensive options on D? I don't think so. I for one would be disappointed if all that he turned out to be was Nurse or Klef as we need better defensemen than those 2 to anchor our top pairing,

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Seider seems the better pick but i hope Holland would have gone for Broberg anyways. Both were reaches.

No idea why there are so many Nurse comparisons. Broberg really isn't like either Nurse or Klefbom although of the two I'd say closer to Klefbom. More of a jack of all trades master of none like Klefbom.

From limited viewing I don't think his skating is as good as people are gushing. Broberg is as raw as raw gets in ever facet. Not an elite passer, shooter, skater, defensively, offensively, grit, hitting, fighting, breaking up cycles...

He is above average size and skating has shown some skill and some defense but nothing to get excited about. He has a lòoooooong ways to go in every facet of the game.

I don't have any comparisons stylistically or realistically in terms of current or previous players. Does anyone know who he models his game after?
So if Broberg's skating is nothing special then name me a Dman who has special skating.

Skating wise Broberg is as good as you can get. He has long ways to go in most other aspects of his game especially protecting the front of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad