WC: 2019 Division I, II, III

member 305909

These lower division tournaments are fun to follow but at the same time they reveal what a minor sport hockey really is in the global sense.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
These lower division tournaments are fun to follow but at the same time they reveal what a minor sport hockey really is in the global sense.

I am pretty hardcore realist, but given how expensive ice hockey is in terms of infrastructure and maintaining of it plus equipment to play it, I would say ice hockey is doing just fine.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Today's results:

China - Australia 2:3
Spain - Croatia 3:4/SO
Belgium - Serbia 3:6

Current standings:

Australia - 10 pts
2. Serbia - 9 pts
Croatia - 8 pts
4. Spain - 7 pts
5. Belgium - 2 pts
6. China - 0 pts

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Question

Was Gilbert Brulé eligible to play for Croatia the last few years?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Tough one for Australia. Loosing the game due to a SH-goal and having the possibility to play nearly 2 minutes 5-3 in the last moments of the game.
Now Serbia can go for Promotion with at least 2 points vs. Spain. Otherwise Croatia is going to Div IB.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Today's results:

Croatia - Australia 2:1
China - Belgium 4:0
Serbia - Spain 3:2/SO

FINAL RANKING:

1. Serbia - 11 pts - PROMOTED
2. Croatia - 11 pts
Australia - 10 pts
Spain - 8 pts
China - 3 pts
6. Belgium - 2 pts - RELEGATED

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Congrats to Serbia. Croatian downfall continues and will continue in the future. Our juniors are worse and worse every year, just look at results of our three U12 teams in slovenian league (IHL - Mlajši dečki U12 18/19 - Lestvica tekmovanja | Hokejska zveza Slovenije).

I would say we still have four-five years in D2A where we will fight for 1st or 2nd place, after that it will be matter of time before we get relegated to D2B.

Last edited:

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Robar, Muršak and Mušič retired from NT.
Urbas, Pavlin and Jeglič are injured. They're not going to play at the upcoming WC.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Division IIB starts today, while Division III starts on Monday.

Also going to use this time to gripe about the IIHF app. It has the days for the tournaments moved up a day: Div IIB for example is listed as starting April 20, and ending April 26, while the real days are April 21-27. Just another thing that they have somehow messed up recently.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Thought I'd mention the Georgian team has been in Chicago the last week training, courtesy of a local who hosted them. Hopefully that helps their chances here, though in talking to the federation they aren't expecting much this year. They are going to have a team in the Emirates league starting this year though, and are working in building arenas in Georgia, so see what happens in the future. Big issue of course is money, and their lack of any.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Games on are Youtube. The channel SFN Sports Fan Network has English commentary, though one of the guys is Mexican and keeps using Spanish as well.

Update: Of course right after I post this it goes down. Not sure what's going on, but they did have the Israel-Iceland game earlier, and the first period of this game. Hopefully it gets sorted out.

Update on update: Seems to be fixed for now.

Always neat to have English commentary for these levels. I remember a few years ago in South Africa they did it, had a Canadian guy and a South African women's player do it. They were obviously not top tier, but recognised it and had a lot of fun, which was great.

Last edited:

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
DIVISION II GROUP B
Round 1 results:

Israel - Iceland 6:3
Georgia - DPR Korea 4:9
New Zealand - Mexico 7:2

Current standings:

1. DPR Korea - 3 pts
New Zealand - 3 pts