WC: 2019 Division I, II, III

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Not sure what happened, but all of the games of Kyrgyzstan have now been ruled as forfeits (they had won all those games).
Did they play any ineligible players?

Wikipedia says Aleksandr Titov was disqualified. Obviously not a lot of info at this level, but a look at his Eliteprospects page suggests he is Russian and played a couple years there, so may not have spent enough time in Kyrgyzstan to be eligible.

In the end what was supposed to be the deciding game for promotion between Kyrgyzstan and the UAE is meaningless; the Emirates will play in Division III next year.

Good debut by Thailand, one win (not including their now-win against Kyrgyzstan) and an OTW in their first World Championship. Kyrgyzstan hopefully doesn't make this an issue and has eligible players moving forward, though a look at their roster shows most are ethnic Russians (though at least a few have Kyrgyz names, which is nice to see. Kazakhstan certainly doesn't do that).

As always hope everyone returns, if not more, next year. Maybe they'll even drop the pretense of "Qualification" and just call it Division IIIB.

Reactions: Maverick41

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
Wikipedia says Aleksandr Titov was disqualified. Obviously not a lot of info at this level, but a look at his Eliteprospects page suggests he is Russian and played a couple years there, so may not have spent enough time in Kyrgyzstan to be eligible.

In the end what was supposed to be the deciding game for promotion between Kyrgyzstan and the UAE is meaningless; the Emirates will play in Division III next year.

Good debut by Thailand, one win (not including their now-win against Kyrgyzstan) and an OTW in their first World Championship. Kyrgyzstan hopefully doesn't make this an issue and has eligible players moving forward, though a look at their roster shows most are ethnic Russians (though at least a few have Kyrgyz names, which is nice to see. Kazakhstan certainly doesn't do that).

As always hope everyone returns, if not more, next year. Maybe they'll even drop the pretense of "Qualification" and just call it Division IIIB.
Well said, Georgia had a similar misstep in 2016 where they were not patient enough to make sure all their guys were eligible yet, but now they are fine.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
It is curious that the IIHF is choosing to blank all statistics from KGZ games, including attendance, when they never did so for the 2014 Russian Women's Olympic team. The olympic team was high profile and they went on record about disqualifications, but they never changed the official records, never modified the rankings.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
No offense guys but Croatian NT is turning into such a joke. I didn't wish it well during the Cronuck days but this is getting too much. Also, I just now got to know Sijan plays on EIHL team which I find ridiculous.

No offense taken. It is just (sad) truth. Yes, I was also shocked that Sijan managed to maintain himself in EIHL (even in the last place team). He was never considered anything special, but he must be acknowledged for his persistence. He really want to make, even if it just pocket money, some living out of hockey, which throws big shadow on way better croatian players which have so lazy "I don't wanna play in Swe Div 1 for 600 euros per month" atitude.

Milicic is like what 23?

That's why I put laugh smile...

Reactions: swissexpert

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Croatia Roster:

Goal:
Vilim Rosandić
Leon Hergešić Adamović
Vito Nikolić

Defense:
Shaone Morrisonn
Marko Tadić
Domen Vedlin
Luka Kramarić
Jan Smolec
Bruno Kegalj
Fran Srketić

Forwards:
Dominik Kanaet
Tomislav Zanoški
Marko Šakić
Dominic Rene Čanić
Luka Mikulić
Ivan Janković
Bruno Fičur
Sven Paulović
Tadija Mirić
Mario Novak
Filip Jarčov
Luka Jarčov
Jan Novotny

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Croatia Roster:

Goal:
Vilim Rosandić
Leon Hergešić Adamović
Vito Nikolić

Defense:
Shaone Morrisonn
Marko Tadić
Domen Vedlin
Luka Kramarić
Jan Smolec
Bruno Kegalj
Fran Srketić

Forwards:
Dominik Kanaet
Tomislav Zanoški
Marko Šakić
Dominic Rene Čanić
Luka Mikulić
Ivan Janković
Bruno Fičur
Sven Paulović
Tadija Mirić
Mario Novak
Filip Jarčov
Luka Jarčov
Jan Novotny

This is one of the weakest rosters we ever sent to any-Division WC.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I expected a lot more from China...despite not having their Chinucks on roster.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Where do I find the entry lists (or roster lists)?

I always went to stats.iihf.com and had there a list with all tournaments. But this doesn't seem to work anymore. Any other sources?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Where do I find the entry lists (or roster lists)?

I always went to stats.iihf.com and had there a list with all tournaments. But this doesn't seem to work anymore. Any other sources?

I can tell you where to find absolutely nothing: the new iihf website. What a horrible experience browsing through it, they really shold fire that dev. team...

I always used the link you mentioned, don't know why but it still works on mobile.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I can tell you where to find absolutely nothing: the new iihf website. What a horrible experience browsing through it, they really shold fire that dev. team...

I always used the link you mentioned, don't know why but it still works on mobile.

This trend to make websites all of this variant (someone described it ad "Appleizing" them) is awful and only makes me no longer use the sites. I used to frequent the IIHF page daily, now I can't remember when I was last there. The site looks awful and works horribly, and is not the only culprit out there.

It's even more annoying because it's been some 6 months since they changed the site over and they still haven't properly moved the archives material over. All the links are still broken making it a pain to find anything pre-design. Just makes it look amateur. I'm curious to see how it affected traffic to the site.

Reactions: Vandalay Industries

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Croatia now on 4-0 lead against China in the second period.

Really, really sad setback for Chinese Olympic project if they get relegated...

Edit. Already 5-0.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Croatia now on 4-0 lead against China in the second period.

Really, really sad setback for Chinese Olympic project if they get relegated...

Edit. Already 5-0.

I expected much more from Chinese VHL-ers. Croatia is so weak this year, but China looks disastrous.

Reactions: Pardus

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Today's results:

Belgium - Spain 2:4
Croatia - China 7:0
Australia - Serbia 3:2

Current standings:

Spain - 6 pts
2. Australia - 4 pts
Serbia - 3 pts
4. Croatia - 3 pts
5. Belgium - 2 pts
6. China - 0 pts

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
As someone who follows the the lower level tournaments from a distance, I am pleasantly surprised by the Spanish. Promoted from Div IIB last year, they would be expected to be a bubble team this year, but they've started out with a couple of wins and have pretty much guaranteed themselves staying up at this level, and given that Belgium has beaten Australia, who beat Serbia, who beat Croatia, who beat China, it's not inconceivable that Spain could be in the mix to win promotion to Div IB, with a team that is entirely domestically based.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As someone who follows the the lower level tournaments from a distance, I am pleasantly surprised by the Spanish. Promoted from Div IIB last year, they would be expected to be a bubble team this year, but they've started out with a couple of wins and have pretty much guaranteed themselves staying up at this level, and given that Belgium has beaten Australia, who beat Serbia, who beat Croatia, who beat China, it's not inconceivable that Spain could be in the mix to win promotion to Div IB, with a team that is entirely domestically based.
Well, they were 2nd in the division in 2016 before getting relegated in 2017 which was somewhat of a fluke. They missed a lot of their best players - Alcaine, Ubieto, Pablo Munoz, maybe some others - and lost the game against Island despite absolutely dominating it (shots were 41-21 or something). Iceland's goalie had a tournament of his life in general, he later shut out Romania which was just shocking. Spain still won against Serbia, which is supposed to be 2nd best team in the division but that wasn't enough.

Overall, with Alcaine in goal, they have a really good team and have beaten most of the teams in the division before. I mean them being promoted would still be surprising but not shocking. After the years of D2A being dominated by Estonia, Romania and the Netherlands we have come to this point where really none of these teams belong to D1B. D1B is a place where low-end professional hockey players play. None of these teams is close to even semi-pro roster.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
D2A is closer to D3 than D1B. Go to a random hockey rink in Canada at 10 PM and you'll watch better hockey there.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Today's results:

Croatia - Belgium 5:2
Australia - Spain 4:0
Serbia - China 6:5

Current standings:

Australia - 7 pts
2. Croatia - 6 pts
Serbia - 6 pts
4. Spain - 6 pts