WC: 2019 Division I, II, III

member 305909

North-Korea dares to allow their hockey-team to travel to international tournaments? No fear of all of them defecting?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
North-Korea dares to allow their hockey-team to travel to international tournaments? No fear of all of them defecting?
There was a really interesting article about it few years ago. Basically the team isn't allowed to go anywhere and is being followed around by polit-bureau representative everywhere. What's even more shocking it was said that the whole team has like 4 extra sticks combined and the coaches spent the money they had to buy equipment from an in-arena shop as some of their equipment is close to 20 years old.

I will try to find it. Edit: I'm finding it really hard to do though as it's all just Olympics-related stuff now.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
DIVISION II GROUP B
Round 2 results:

Iceland - DPR Korea 8:0
New Zealand - Israel 3:5
Mexico - Georgia 2:3

Current standings:

1. Israel - 6 pts
Iceland - 3 pts
New Zealand - 3 pts
DPR Korea - 3 pts
Georgia - 3 pts
Mexico - 0 pts

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As someone who follows the the lower level tournaments from a distance, I am pleasantly surprised by the Spanish. Promoted from Div IIB last year, they would be expected to be a bubble team this year, but they've started out with a couple of wins and have pretty much guaranteed themselves staying up at this level, and given that Belgium has beaten Australia, who beat Serbia, who beat Croatia, who beat China, it's not inconceivable that Spain could be in the mix to win promotion to Div IB, with a team that is entirely domestically based.

Well, Spain gave the world Kharlamov, so they should be ok in hockey after all...

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
DIVISION III
Round 2 results:

South Africa - Turkmenistan 2:7
Luxembourg - Chinese Taipei 4:5
Bulgaria - Turkey 3:1

Current standings:

1. Bulgaria - 6 pts
Chinese Taipei - 5 pts
Turkmenistan - 4 pts
Luxembourg - 3 pts
Turkey - 0 pts
South Africa - 0 pts

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I guess since the Olympics have passed their all-out recruitment stage is over. Can see them back in 2A soon.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Good chance for Lithuania to stay up in the division this year.
That's what I would be tempted to think as well but realistically our chances 80% depend on pure luck of miracle happening and only the remaining 20% are some logical reasons, arguments and circumstances. Also Dalton is by far the most important player on that team and he's still there.. Without him maybe there would be an actual chance.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Tilburg Trappers tied the series (1:1) in the final of Oberliga. The series cannot be finished before 28.04.
WC D1B starts on 28.04. :popcorn:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not the first time the Netherlands would be without Tilburg guys. I actually think it would be the 3rd time in 4 years. But they are fine with it, evidently.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
DIVISION II GROUP B
Round 3 results:

New Zealand - Georgia 6:2
Israel - DPR Korea 9:3
Iceland - Mexico 8:1

Current standings:

1. Israel - 9 pts
Iceland - 6 pts
New Zealand - 6 pts
DPR Korea - 3 pts
Georgia - 3 pts
Mexico - 0 pts

Last edited:

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Not the first time the Netherlands would be without Tilburg guys. I actually think it would be the 3rd time in 4 years. But they are fine with it, evidently.

They will start the tournament with 15 players + 2 goalkeepers. 5 players from Tilburg will join the team when Oberliga finals are finished.

Roster for the WC.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
DIVISION III
Round 3 results:

Luxembourg - South Africa 5:2
Turkey - Chinese Taipei 7:4
Bulgaria - Turkmenistan 6:2

Current standings:

Bulgaria - 9 pts
Luxembourg - 6 pts
Chinese Taipei - 5 pts
Turkmenistan - 4 pts
Turkey - 3 pts
South Africa - 0 pts

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Which of these tournaments top U18 teams could win, I wonder...
The Latvian MHL team beat Spain 9:1, but it consists mostly of U-20, not U-18 players. But then again it's Latvia, not Canada or the US.

So definitely IIA, probably Div IB as well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Which of these tournaments top U18 teams could win, I wonder...
Well, looking at the level players play, I think they would be a serious contender at 1B and would easily win anything below that.

And even at 1B I think the only serious shortcoming of U18 squad would be a goalie. There is a big difference between U18 prospect and Mantas Armalis, for example. But regarding skaters, only the best teams like Poland could challenge those kids.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
DIVISION III
Round 4 results:

South Africa - Turkey 3:6
Turkmenistan - Luxembourg 4:3
Chinese Taipei - Bulgaria 2:11

Current standings:

1. Bulgaria - 12 pts
Turkmenistan - 7 pts
Luxembourg - 6 pts
Turkey - 6 pts
Chinese Taipei - 5 pts
South Africa - 0 pts

It's all clear in this division. Bulgaria is promoted to Division IIB, South Africa is relegated to Division IIIQ.

Last edited:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Georgia leading Iceland 4-3 after two periods. Once again all the goals are from either ethnic Russians or ethnic Georgians from outside the country. Really conflicted about it, as I'm not afraid to say I support Georgia and realise they don't really have any rinks to play in, but this isn't the way to do it, even if it gets the government's attention and they start building a rink in Tbilisi.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Georgia leading Iceland 4-3 after two periods. Once again all the goals are from either ethnic Russians or ethnic Georgians from outside the country. Really conflicted about it, as I'm not afraid to say I support Georgia and realise they don't really have any rinks to play in, but this isn't the way to do it, even if it gets the government's attention and they start building a rink in Tbilisi.

Georgia is a small and not very rich country, you can't expect a lot.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Their best bet to get some ice is if some private investors decide to build some skating rinks/skiing arenas in one of their resorts for the winter season. Other than that I don't see why Georgia, as a country, would invest in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->