WC: 2019 Division I, II, III

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What if China never uses their KHL/VHL roster in WC, only for OG?
They have already used a few guys. Guessing others do not fulfil the IIHF citizenship, but it needs time. China had the youngest roster at 2019 IIHF World D2A.

Plus, China will have the 2nd team in the KHL sooner than later. Yes, the question is where to find players with Chinese origin. But I believe, it will be done somehow.

Regarding Asia, Japan will have a KHL team as well. No reports on South Korea yet. We will see.

All Asian nations will join the MHL (junior) and the VHL (2nd men tier) as well. So, it will help them to develop better players in the future.

Reactions: Pardus

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
They have already used a few guys. Guessing others do not fulfil the IIHF citizenship, but it needs time. China had the youngest roster at 2019 IIHF World D2A.

Who already played for them? I mean, out of the players signed as a part of KHL/VHL project.

Also, I wouldn't say there is any reason for optimism based on their performance in D2A, that's really low hockey level and they were bad.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Watching this makes me wonder how much is Dalton paid in Korea. His contract is up, Olympics are far gone and he has played in Korea for 5 years already. Seems like there is little incentive for him to want to stay there unless a) he is paid truckload of money; b) he really hates moving around. But after a tournament like this, and his career in general, I can imagine he could easily find a well-paid job in a solid league.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Belarus barely looks better than Korea outside of their first line which consists of Platt and Bailen...

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Who already played for them? I mean, out of the players signed as a part of KHL/VHL project.

Also, I wouldn't say there is any reason for optimism based on their performance in D2A, that's really low hockey level and they were bad.
None, all the players on this year's team were Chinese-born. There was an IIHF article on Brandon Yip regarding his journey in China and the 2022 Olympics and it was stated that he hasn't managed to obtain a Chinese passport for whatever the reason which presumably applies to all the other players as well.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Yeah, it's a shame they have a get out of jail free card next year.

Very true, but their hosting in 2021 may just set them up for the humiliation of being relegated on home ice. Don't forget that if Belarus and Latvia are in the same group next year, there is the potential that only one team from the top division will be relegated.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Belarus has now spent exactly one year outside the elite division after 2004, I think it's exaggerated to think that they have suddenly regressed to an elevator team.

Reactions: Pardus

sytheman

Mar 8, 2017
Seoul, Korea
Though we failed to get promoted, I am pleased with the way we wrap up the campaign. Granted Belarus had nothing to gain from this game, but it is always nice beating a top 15 team.

Now I hope we will host 2020 edition of this tourney in Gangneung (Pyeongchang).

sytheman

Mar 8, 2017
Seoul, Korea
Watching this makes me wonder how much is Dalton paid in Korea. His contract is up, Olympics are far gone and he has played in Korea for 5 years already. Seems like there is little incentive for him to want to stay there unless a) he is paid truckload of money; b) he really hates moving around. But after a tournament like this, and his career in general, I can imagine he could easily find a well-paid job in a solid league.
He gets paid about 300k USD. Korea is quite western-friendly so he gets treated a tons of respect for being an English-speaking white man. He also seems to buy and value what the country can offer him over paycheck: High level of social security, high-speed internet, world-class public transportation, etc. He will turn 33 this year so he will likely wrap up his career in Korea.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
DIVISION I GROUP A
Round 5 results:

Slovenia - Lithuania 9:0
Belarus - Korea 1:4
Kazakhstan - Hungary 3:1

FINAL RANKING:

1. Kazakhstan - 14 pts - PROMOTED
2. Belarus - 10 pts - PROMOTED

Korea - 9 pts
Slovenia - 6 pts
Hungary - 3 pts
6. Lithuania - 3 pts - RELEGATED

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He gets paid about 300k USD. Korea is quite western-friendly so he gets treated a tons of respect for being an English-speaking white man. He also seems to buy and value what the country can offer him over paycheck: High level of social security, high-speed internet, world-class public transportation, etc. He will turn 33 this year so he will likely wrap up his career in Korea.
I think internet and transportation isn't too bad in Sweden or Austria either. Having said that, 300k is a lot for an option unproven in Europe, more than I would have expected. His age is exactly a factor in my thoughts, this is likely his last chance to move elsewhere still in his prime.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Belarus has now spent exactly one year outside the elite division after 2004, I think it's exaggerated to think that they have suddenly regressed to an elevator team.
They have been living on a borrowed time for a while. Additions of Platt, Lalande, Linglet and Bailen has helped mask their shortcomings quite a bit. They twice managed to survive by having a single victory the whole tournament (can't remember whether one of those times they were saved from relegation by being host country next year).

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
They have been living on a borrowed time for a while. Additions of Platt, Lalande, Linglet and Bailen has helped mask their shortcomings quite a bit. They twice managed to survive by having a single victory the whole tournament (can't remember whether one of those times they were saved from relegation by being host country next year).
If they can have all their old guard next year though, Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn, Geoff Platt, Nick Bailen, Yevgeni Kovyrshin, Andrei Stepanov, Dmitri Korobov, Andrei Stas, and Alexander Pavlovich, then they'll be really hard to beat.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
All you need to know about this tournament.

OPTC4oV.jpg

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
All you need to know about this tournament.

OPTC4oV.jpg
Someone brought up a 300k salary for representing Korea. I guess the salary should be similar for all the other mercenaries, maybe even higher in some cases.

Kazakhstan had 5 imports this year. That's 1.5 million a year. How many youth programs can you finance with that sort of money? You can build a basic ice rink for 1.5-2M or pretty much cover all the yearly expenses of a couple of ice rinks.

So much money wasted on a bunch of foreigners.

In the Korean case it makes some sense due to a lack of hockey tradition, but I would be absolutely livid if I was a Belarusian or a Kazakhstani hockey fan.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I saw people saying that Belarus and Latvia can't be relegated next year, why's that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad