WC: 2019 Division I, II, III

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I should know better but I will actually try to have a civil conversation here.

So for starters, yes, a team with good depth sounds way better than the team who has one superstar and next to nothing else. Just the fact that you mentioned a 5th round pick straight out of junior among the names worth pointing out shows how (relatively) bad that Slovenian team is. Solid SHL and NLA players I've listed surely do sound way better. And Rossi, hopefully, will get to a similar level Kopitar is at now.

Secondly, I haven't said anything about Italians or Norwegians because there isn't much to say. That's where you are right. Like I said, your logic is sound for the most part, Belarus should overtake the countries whose hockey is on life support, basically.

Karnaukhov, it's obvious to anyone, would be a KHL regular on any team outside of KHL's top 4 or so. Vorobei, meanwhile, played his 1st KHL season under peculiar circumstances being a designated hitter on Kunlun, so to speak. He was at ~8 minutes per game average when Kunlun still had a chance to make PO and most of those came either on 2nd PP unit or when the team had a solid lead. While in his 2nd for Sibir he played because they had nobody else to play and got sent to the VHL again when they healed up their injuries. Also, any info on his new contract actually being one way?
Slovenia has no good defensemen. Ours suck too, but there are different levels of suck. Ours still ran the point well enough to beat Belarus handily last year. Slovenia's defensemen are their own level of suck.

Also, I think you're thinking Pavel Karnaukhov, but he's talking about his brother the goalie. Pavel Karnaukhov can't play for Belarus.

As for the elevator argument, we can really just count out the teams. Canada, USA, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, the big 6. The next two are Switzerland and Slovakia. Then Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Norway and France have been up forever and hold strong. Elevator teams are, by definition 15-18, because 2 are promoted and relegated every year. We've named 13, so only one more needs to beat Belarus at least occasionally, and that can happen on a rotational basis.

su24

Sep 30, 2017
I should know better but I will actually try to have a civil conversation here.

So for starters, yes, a team with good depth sounds way better than the team who has one superstar and next to nothing else. Just the fact that you mentioned a 5th round pick straight out of junior among the names worth pointing out shows how (relatively) bad that Slovenian team is. Solid SHL and NLA players I've listed surely do sound way better. And Rossi, hopefully, will get to a similar level Kopitar is at now.

Secondly, I haven't said anything about Italians or Norwegians because there isn't much to say. That's where you are right. Like I said, your logic is sound for the most part, Belarus should overtake the countries whose hockey is on life support, basically.

Karnaukhov, it's obvious to anyone, would be a KHL regular on any team outside of KHL's top 4 or so. Vorobei, meanwhile, played his 1st KHL season under peculiar circumstances being a designated hitter on Kunlun, so to speak. He was at ~8 minutes per game average when Kunlun still had a chance to make PO and most of those came either on 2nd PP unit or when the team had a solid lead. While in his 2nd for Sibir he played because they had nobody else to play and got sent to the VHL again when they healed up their injuries. Also, any info on his new contract actually being one way?
I mentioned that 5th round pick cause you mentioned undrafted no-names for Austria. As a "depth" for Austrians you've brought up the 21 y.o. Allsvenskan guy and another undrafted kid who didn't do a thing at the last U-20 WHC. I mean I could pull off a hundred names like that.
You know that Yunost (Belarus champion) has played against Malmo at the Champions league this year and won at home 6:2. They had a few teenagers on the roster like Schyochin (who played for U-20 team) and 17 y.o. Barkovsky (who didn't even make the U-18 team and was cut off). I don't even mention those guys. Belarus could afford to leave at home a WHL guy like Stepanov cause the other kids looked better.
On Vorobey one-way, 2 years deal read the KHL official site: "клуб подписал двухлетний односторонний контракт с защитником Павлом Bоробьём". Cекач перешёл в ЦСКА, Ткачёв остался в «Ак Барсе». Трансферы 1 мая
But yeah, he's just a VHL defenseman. And about Karnaukhov I'm not going to repeat myself. On the other teams no one would have remembered that he exists.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also, I think you're thinking Pavel Karnaukhov, but he's talking about his brother the goalie. Pavel Karnaukhov can't play for Belarus.
No, he has in mind the discussion we had in December about Pavel which you took part in as well. I mean "At the same time Pavel Karnaukhov, who is older and has played 25 KHL games less, is a legit KHL player... OK, that's your world."

Also, Vorobei IS a VHL defenseman. Karnaukhov was on the CSKA roster in the playoffs, Vorobei got sent down well before the season ended. Just because he was given a one-way contract doesn't mean he is not going to make it to the KHL roster. Do you know the saying don't count the chicken before they hatch? For now, he just finished the season in the VHL because he was sent there. Also, it's just the fact that defensively he is at VHL level. He may get better in the future and he did fine in the KHL in a very limited role but for now, at his main job as a defenseman, he isn't at KHL level.

As for the elevator argument, we can really just count out the teams. Canada, USA, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, the big 6. The next two are Switzerland and Slovakia.
There is very little evidence to say Slovakia is in the top 8. They have finished in the top 8 twice over the last 11 years and were on the cusp of relegation as many times. U20 results is the only argument I can think of. Also I guess you can make an argument nobody else is in the top 8 more than they are but that doesn't automatically make them 8th.

Last edited:

su24

Sep 30, 2017
Also, Vorobei IS a VHL defenseman. Karnaukhov was on the CSKA roster in the playoffs, Vorobei got sent down well before the season ended.

Vorobey was sent down because Sibir brought another Finnish defenseman and they exceeded the foreign players limit. He just signed a 2-years, ONE-WAY contract with them, the Rissian KHL team! Do you know KHL hockey better than the KHL team's managing and coaching staff? Do you realize how ridiculously silly you look here?
At the same time you're talking about Austrian no-names who wouldn't get even a look from any KHL team like they're a threat for the whole Belarusian hockey.
What kind of any civilized discussion anyone could have with you?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Vorobey was sent down because Sibir brought another Finnish defenseman and they exceeded the foreign players limit. He just signed a 2-years, ONE-WAY contract with them, the Rissian KHL team! Do you know KHL hockey better than the KHL team's managing and coaching staff? Do you realize how ridiculously silly you look here?
At the same time you're talking about Austrian no-names who wouldn't get even a look from any KHL team like they're a threat for the whole Belarusian hockey.
What kind of any civilized discussion anyone could have with you?
Such mighty talk coming from a D1A team :laugh:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
No, he has in mind the discussion we had in December about Pavel which you took part in as well. I mean "At the same time Pavel Karnaukhov, who is older and has played 25 KHL games less, is a legit KHL player... OK, that's your world."

Also, Vorobei IS a VHL defenseman. Karnaukhov was on the CSKA roster in the playoffs, Vorobei got sent down well before the season ended. Just because he was given a one-way contract doesn't mean he is not going to make it to the KHL roster. Do you know the saying don't count the chicken before they hatch? For now, he just finished the season in the VHL because he was sent there. Also, it's just the fact that defensively he is at VHL level. He may get better in the future and he did fine in the KHL in a very limited role but for now, at his main job as a defenseman, he isn't at KHL level.
I thought the initial mention of the name in this response was with regards to his brother because he was mentioning him as a Belorussian prospect. Maybe not. Vorobey was actually pretty good when I saw him last year. He has some offensive skills. But he's still way too raw for being 22 years old by next season, which isn't young. But between him and Bunitsky, he's the better player.

There is very little evidence to say Slovakia is in the top 8. They have finished in the top 8 twice over the last 11 years and were on the cusp of relegation as many times. U20 results is the only argument I can think of. Also I guess you can make an argument nobody else is in the top 8 more than they are but that doesn't automatically make them 8th.
Well, we were just counting teams in front of Belarus, but you're right. You make a good point.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Kudos to Kopitar for reporting to his country, after 82 games he goes to the other side of the world to play with scrubs against scrubs with no people in the stands. Meanwhile stars of Sweden (at a bigger degree in earlier years) wait to see what team we have, before they go haha

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Kudos to Kopitar for reporting to his country, after 82 games he goes to the other side of the world to play with scrubs against scrubs with no people in the stands. Meanwhile stars of Sweden (at a bigger degree in earlier years) wait to see what team we have, before they go haha
There is something wrong with a player who does not want to report to his country´s national team.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Watching Dalton being so good in net for Korea makes me unreasonably angry lol

roki

Jul 7, 2010
I would like today to see this scenario:
Netherland win over Romania and Ukrain win over Estonia
and
Lithuania win over Korea and take one point against Slovenia to stay in this group

But of course this is not possible.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Aehm, can anyone explain to me why this isn't a legit goal?
Classic IIHF no goal call - Korean skated through blue paint just before the goal. I don't agree with the call, but I saw it coming once they went to the review.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Classic IIHF no goal call - Korean skated through blue paint just before the goal. I don't agree with the call, but I saw it coming once they went to the review.

I don't agree with this whole trend of the IIHF neither. It goes against the nature of hockey in my opinion.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
From Serbia
Ah okay :) now I understand better your wishes. I thought you were also from Finland and was wondering why do you hope both our relatives, Estonians and Hungarians to get relegated :D I'm not hoping that but I'm afraid of that.

Gonna cheer for Romania!

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I don't know if I shoukd be cheering for Lithuania or Korea.

Lithuania finishing with 4/5 points and both Korea and Belarus with 9 would be the best scenario, I guess. :D

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Watching Dalton being so good in net for Korea makes me unreasonably angry lol
this isn't unreasonable. Naturalization underestimates the value of hard work. Lithuania worked hard with what they have and now they are beaten by Korea because they have Canadians on the key positions.

edit: it worked :D

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So now I'm back to being angry at Slovenians and Hungarians for not managing to beat Korea. Although Slovenians can be in the good again if they give us a point tomorrow. Although I don't see it happening for obvious reasons.

Also, f*** that Polish guy who elbowed Tadas in a friendly game.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
What are the odds on the Kazakhstan-Belarus game ending in a draw in regulation?

Lukashenko's making some calls as we speak

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Korea's defeat means that Kazakhstan earned promotion. Korea can get promoted only if Belarus loses both last games.

Edit. One point is enough for Belarus.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad