OT: 2019 Blue Bomber (10-6) Regular Season Thread - Oct 19 @ Calgary (10-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think I defended Walters in the last week or two, but as the games have gone by I'm thinking he needs to go just as much as any of the coaching staff. We have all-stars all throughout the roster, but to liken it to a problem in the NHL it's like having 10 million tied up in Carey Price and then having 6 Carl Alzner level players in front of him.

There's deficiencies at receiver, the secondary, and at QB. While the Bombers aren't a bottom feeder, there's no excuse for only having one receiver that would even have a sniff at having a 1000 yard season in Darvin Adams. I think our second best deep threat might be Andrew Harris :laugh:
And on top of that the GM also needs to take responsibility for the deficiencies of the coaches that he's given maybe too long a leash to.

I won't give him too much flak over the O-Line issues this season, few teams would come out looking good after losing 2 all-star interior linemen in one offseason.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If they lose 2+ more down the stretch and bow out in first round of playoffs, you have to think they back up the truck and have a wholesale change.

This management and coaching group would have demonstrated they can’t get it done. Can’t build a winning roster. Can’t coach the players they do have. Roster moves on the Oline, DBs, and receiver are simply head scratchers that have not worked.

None

Feb 22, 2012
On a sidenote, the defense looked much better despite Rose getting beaten a few times in single coverage. There was a few times were DBs looked like they were playing the ball rather than the receiver, not going to fault them too much for that when they kept the Riders out of the endzone for most of the game.

I wonder how much of it was Hall's absence and how much was having a competent safety that can actually cover a player on his own.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Season is circling the drain and there doesn't seem much to be done to prevent it.

Streveler is not the answer. Full stop. I don't expect this team to win come the playoffs with him at QB.

Start drafting that contract extension for Nichols.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Better yet, sign a good free agent QB.

Who?

There's no one out there better than Nichols as it stands. I'm not taking a gamble on some backup that people think he might be good. If Nichols is the best option, then you go with the best option and try to find someone to put behind him and grow to be an actual QB.

Reactions: GNP

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Bombers were not good from get go, whitehead playing the first punt, then Adams dropping that sure first down gave sask the first three points. Then Strev fumbles and throws pick in second half, if we get two FG there we are up 12-11. This team stunk with no offense and still had a chance to win in fourth quarter. They could be sleeper come playoffs, but without a QB it’s tough to win unfortunately. Team played well today otherwise.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Think I’m gonna take a break from the Bombers next week. The team has clearly given up, why shouldn’t I?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fairview

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Better yet, sign a good free agent QB.

Yep. Streveler is just about on par with (if not outright better than) Nichols, but if he doesn’t grow, he won’t be the answer. Neither of them will be.

Find something else. Not gonna happen though. Haven’t found a single decent QB in my whole life, and I’m a college student.

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
I didn't have much hype deep into the off season until my worse half's (she's a Rider "fan" which means a bandwagoner) father tried to convince me. I fell for the hype thereon out and that 5-0 start was spectacular but it was the Hamilton game where Nichols sputtered. He was horrible. Come the BC game he was actually playing very good, competent football and he's done for the year.

Nichols did deserve his fair share of criticism the last two seasons, because I believe he's better than he's played in said time but he was definitely our best chance for winning. I do like Streveler but this was supposed to be the dream season. It's funny how a half of football can change the entire dynamic of a team. 34-10. Outscored what, 82-22 in that time? That's pathetic.

As I stated in another thread I dropped my expectations with the Jets yet I had a blast watching them both games so far. But it hurts with the Bombers. They haven't won in my lifetime and it honestly makes me wonder at times. I don't like that. The defense which was horrible lately, was phenomenal. They did all they could but the offence was absolutely god awful. The Riders didn't win that game as much as the Bombers O shot themselves in a foot. Another year gone to waste.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Yep. Streveler is just about on par with (if not outright better than) Nichols, but if he doesn’t grow, he won’t be the answer. Neither of them will be.

Find something else. Not gonna happen though. Haven’t found a single decent QB in my whole life, and I’m a college student.
I don't think Nichols is the guy that can win big games in the playoffs and now Streveler is proving he's not the answer either.

Streveler is a bad passer, can't read a defence, makes some really bad decisions and his accuracy is too inconsistent especially on the long ball. His mechanics are so bad he'll never improve.

I'm shocked the Bomber brass didn't get a vet qb in here at least as a backup. We're cooked.

I'm still watching but relaxed because I don't expect wins anymore.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Free falling and finding ways to lose games. Real possibility the team will lose out the remaining games this year (and lose the crossover). Man oh man.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
The negativity is so f***ing toxic. I am so tired of hearing about how this team is terrible. Do people not remember the many many dark years of the Bombers? This is a decent team. More than a few decent teams have upset much better teams nevermind the fact that we've been outplayed in a total of 2 games this year (both Hamilton games). I am just so done talking Bombers with this fanbase that is so toxic. We've seen year after year after year after year that the playoffs are not what you did in June, or July, or August, or even September. It's what you do at the end of the year. We have a great D for the most part, we have a minute munching O that needs consistency no doubt but has potential and the best special teams in the league. We have at least a fighting chance in the playoffs at least. I'm out talking Bombers. But I don't want the crew "giving up their fan card" showing up celebrating in November if we make a run. f*** them. Thick and thin I bleed blue and gold. I was 11 months old last time we won the big game. I don't care. My whole life is peppered with great memories from the Bombers (plenty of bad ones as well obviously) and I will keep the faith until the day I die. f*** the haters.

Reactions: thereturn

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I haven't been following the Bombers lately as work has been demanding. I can see by reading the posts that Nichols is done for the year. When everyone was "complaining" how bad he was--yet we were winning, I've always said Nichols good enough to win the Cup with. We have a great defense, and a good offense-- but the key is QB, and if Nichols is out -- forget about winning , unless the Bombers can acquire a guy like Arbuckle or the guy in Saskatchewan. We "do not" have a decent backup quarterback to win with right now.

In my mind Steveler is not a quarterback -- he's more of a fullback, or a specialty 3rd down Quarterback. I've said this all along -- the guy reminds me of Tim Teebow of the NFL --same type of QB -but Teebow was way better.

Why is it --that fans are blind ? when we're winning with a guy like Nichols, and fans still all continually complaining. You can never make some of these fans on here happy --no matter what. I'll always cheer for the Bombers, but unless you have a good QB --you will not win in the CFL --it's a passing league ( 3 down football)

The Bombers need to hire some specialty QB scouts, that know a good QB when they see one -- or a guy with potential.

We will lose far more games than we'll win with Steveler at quaterback -- no doubt in my mind.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
The negativity is so ****ing toxic. I am so tired of hearing about how this team is terrible. Do people not remember the many many dark years of the Bombers? This is a decent team. More than a few decent teams have upset much better teams nevermind the fact that we've been outplayed in a total of 2 games this year (both Hamilton games). I am just so done talking Bombers with this fanbase that is so toxic. We've seen year after year after year after year that the playoffs are not what you did in June, or July, or August, or even September. It's what you do at the end of the year. We have a great D for the most part, we have a minute munching O that needs consistency no doubt but has potential and the best special teams in the league. We have at least a fighting chance in the playoffs at least. I'm out talking Bombers. But I don't want the crew "giving up their fan card" showing up celebrating in November if we make a run. **** them. Thick and thin I bleed blue and gold. I was 11 months old last time we won the big game. I don't care. My whole life is peppered with great memories from the Bombers (plenty of bad ones as well obviously) and I will keep the faith until the day I die. **** the haters.

With all due respect people are allowed to have their opinion and voice it, same as you.
Commenting in a negative way about a team that clearly is nowhere as good as they thought they were by the people who pay for the team is their right.
I didn't watch the game because I chose other options on a Saturday night where there were many.
Why? Because as a fan for far longer than you've been alive I get worked up when I see a team squander leads they had no business giving up, seemingly flat out not trying in some instances and listening to the same rhetoric every week by a HC who may be a player favorite in the room but isn't a HC.

Not a jump on and bandwagoner either as I'd surely snap an ankle doing it.
You'll see no posts from me in November stating " I knew they could do it" . It will be " well it's about time" and realistically will have to have come about by some absolute miracle.
And as I saw in the highlights, if you can call them that good teams get the breaks like the tipped ball into Evans waiting arms. Bomber are not a good team. They are 4-6 after their 5-0 start much of what was against the weak sisters of the league.
First place is out of the question unless the Riders go 1-3 the rest of the way. It is difficult to beat the same team in back to back weeks, more so when that team is Calgary. It can be done but......
So while a home playoff game is still possible I believe we finish 3rd unless Edmonton runs the table I guess.
Streveler may have a minor injury he's hiding as his running has lacked the fire it had a couple games ago.
If the intent has been over the last couple games to keep him in the pocket and pass more, it has failed.
He truly can't pass and whole Nicholls throwing may not be miles better be at least could go downfield and a credit to him would throw the ball away rather than force a pass and get an INT.
Streveler really is most effective as the occasional change of pace guy to Nicholls or whoevdr.
Neither should be brought back next season but I'd rather Nichols over Streveler.
The DB's May have been better but they still get beat and of course in the last 6 minutes give up the long drive when there still was a chance.
The fact that there still is not a 3rd QB around boggles the mind considering that O'Shea keeps saying that McGuire "needs" to get into a game in the right situation.
2 weeks ago when the Bombers were blown out was the wrong situation when he could have at least had a series with 5 minutes left. Nope and last night when Streveler looked like shit, nope.
With all the backup QB's that seemingly came out of nowhere this season it boggles the mind.
Which is part and parcel why I tune out.
Still a fan but I have to see effort top to bottom for me to tune in when other options present themselves that won't make my heart explode or have to explain the beer can stuck in the tv screen to the significant other.

So while I read your posts and like your insights as you are obviously a fan and quite knowledgeable I'd appreciate if you just let people express their opinions,, much as you do yours. Whether those are negative or not.

Good luck Bombers versus MTL. You are going to need a healthy dose of it I'm afraid.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016

Well I won’t speak to the team's inability to identify a good QB before the Richie Hall years, but can you imagine any of our QBs practicing against Hall’s secondary? I mean , they would probably look pretty impressive. This Bomber secondary has made a lot of no name QBs look like they are the real deal. How can you possibly evaluate a QB against this secondary, especially in practice? I am sure that MOS and LaPo are left scratching their heads...” he looks real good in practice but why doesn’t it translate on the field?”
Let’s fast forward to next season, if Streveler or Nichols ends up in Ottawa and we are still stuck with Hall’s defence. Nichols will likely throw for 600 yards against us, with his 2 yard dump pass and our secondary playing at least 10 yards off the line. :shakehead

Reactions: snowkiddin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad