Prospect Info: 2019 Avalanche Development Camp [June 26th to 28th]

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Why did Makar have to play a game with the Avs/Eagles to lose his exemption, but Timmins doesn’t?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I dont think Kaut will start in the NHL but I do think he's a good candidate to get a callup by December and could absolutely see him sticking.

He plays a style that's suitable to play in the bottom 6 and handle the role well.

Well as it stands right now Compher is probably at center. So how much competition does Kaut really have at RW?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The AHL is sometimes a weird place for development. I remember Mikko saying he felt like he had no time in the AHL because everyone was always charging around the ice without a plan. Sometimes NHL might be better, if the player can handle it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hell yeah! Seriously underrated player. I hope he kept his G. Gordon Liddy look from his playing days in Europe.

Still my very favorite Rhino moment was after he was dealt away. The Flames and Avs faced off and there was a scrum in front of the net. He came in late and laid a hard cross check right into Martin Skoula's back. Marty verrrrrrry slowly turned around and had this look on his face that said "Dude...WTF". I wish I could've seen Rhino's face at that time, he must've looked pretty sheepish there. :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why did Makar have to play a game with the Avs/Eagles to lose his exemption, but Timmins doesn’t?

Contracts... Timmins had a contract in 18-19 and Makar could have had a 3 year ELC starting in 19-20 making him exempt. Makar signing and playing made him eligible.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Contracts... Timmins had a contract in 18-19 and Makar could have had a 3 year ELC starting in 19-20 making him exempt. Makar signing and playing made him eligible.
I get that, but... From what I remember, Makar signing specifically made his first year get used on the ELC. It was him playing that made him expansion eligible. And the two acts were distinct in their repercussions.

I looked up some of the details out there again, and his contract couldn't slide to next season because he was 20, specifically. His contract was always going to be a 18-19 one

I guess what I don't get it is why didn't the contract itself make him eligible if it does the same for Timmins. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with Timmins signing at age 19 and Makar at 20, but all I've found has been the idea that it alters the ELC sliding option

EDIT:

Some more looking up stuff... So based on this, it counts as a professional season if a player plays 9+ games at age 19 or under, and 1+ as age 20 or over. Not their contract status for the year.
NHL teams receiving information on potential expansion draft - Sportsnet.ca

This makes it sound like Timmins shouldn't have to be protected.

EDIT2:

Research done here seems to agree as far as I can tell

Seems to be dependent on how the professional season is defined

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkT

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They said on the BSN podcast that there was a specific drill designed to give contact to Timmins along the boards and he seemed fine.

Listening to that pod made me feel better about Timmins than his interview did.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Missed the defenders today, but got to see all the forwards in their glory.

First off, Annunen was brutal with a capital "B". The lad got sniped all session long and when he didn't the players were hitting him in the mask, really tough day. Werner was awesome, I think he took the reigns from Shmakov as the best goaler of the day. Second, I was interested in Barlage, but he is so so so far from even a NHL teams development camp. Skating is slow, no agility, no shot strength, no centre of gravity (like none), and his balance is worse than even Mikko or Landeskog (not sure how that is possible).

Bowers was awesome today, was a noticeable tier higher than everyone else in his group. I was actually pleasantly surprised with our Latvian Buncis, his stats look terrible, but he was very tough to control down below the hashmarks. Not sure I saw Kovalenko or Morrison on the ice either which also included Smirnov and Weiss (Mutala played). Beaucage was pretty good, his shot is very tough for goalers to get a read on - it has the heaviness, but his release is the foie gras of his game. I thought the best player today was between Kaut and Shvyrev, both were doing something to trump the other one. Kaut has all the tools, he is a strong skater with a fantastic shot and tough to separate from with the puck. Shvyrev looked like he played against men compared to the CHL players, played a heavy mature game and his shot is very good (I hope they give him more of a chance). I also really liked what I saw from Mutter, the guy can snipe it and similar to Buncis he was a thunderstorm in a box.

Burzan was still pretty weak on the puck, did not do well in the 1v1 competitive drills. Mutala also looked like a kid when he was up against more of the veteran players. Out of all the rookies I actually thought that Stienburg was the most impressive. He doesn't have a huge ceiling, but there are a lot of tools that can translate into the pros - he plays a very mature game that resembles the NHL quite a bit. Captain Hook was the flashiest of everyone on the ice, but you can see the physical immaturity and he can't do the moves he wants yet. Lastly, I thought Henry showed a lot of growth. His skating in particular has gotten a lot better compared to last year, most notably his agility gave him a 1 up to every player there. Nick has also gotten stronger and was able to shield players off similar to Crosby.

A legend returns......

This makes a ton of sense, one of the coaches today just seemed so familiar to me.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
First off, Annunen was brutal with a capital "B". The lad got sniped all session long and when he didn't the players were hitting him in the mask, really tough day.
He's got a pretty wicked one-tee though...

Are there any rules saying you can't have two goalies on the ice at the same time? He could sit on the bench as the backup and then when there's a powerplay he can go rip rope from the right dot.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
Even if you are allowed to do that, goalies can't cross the red line, remember? Roy didn't.

But if you had your backup goalie on the ice too, he would be lined up as a player... a player that just happens to also have goalie equipment on.

I think the NHL should allow it. Make hockey fun again.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Missed the defenders today, but got to see all the forwards in their glory.

First off, Annunen was brutal with a capital "B". The lad got sniped all session long and when he didn't the players were hitting him in the mask, really tough day. Werner was awesome, I think he took the reigns from Shmakov as the best goaler of the day. Second, I was interested in Barlage, but he is so so so far from even a NHL teams development camp. Skating is slow, no agility, no shot strength, no centre of gravity (like none), and his balance is worse than even Mikko or Landeskog (not sure how that is possible).

Bowers was awesome today, was a noticeable tier higher than everyone else in his group. I was actually pleasantly surprised with our Latvian Buncis, his stats look terrible, but he was very tough to control down below the hashmarks. Not sure I saw Kovalenko or Morrison on the ice either which also included Smirnov and Weiss (Mutala played). Beaucage was pretty good, his shot is very tough for goalers to get a read on - it has the heaviness, but his release is the foie gras of his game. I thought the best player today was between Kaut and Shvyrev, both were doing something to trump the other one. Kaut has all the tools, he is a strong skater with a fantastic shot and tough to separate from with the puck. Shvyrev looked like he played against men compared to the CHL players, played a heavy mature game and his shot is very good (I hope they give him more of a chance). I also really liked what I saw from Mutter, the guy can snipe it and similar to Buncis he was a thunderstorm in a box.

Burzan was still pretty weak on the puck, did not do well in the 1v1 competitive drills. Mutala also looked like a kid when he was up against more of the veteran players. Out of all the rookies I actually thought that Stienburg was the most impressive. He doesn't have a huge ceiling, but there are a lot of tools that can translate into the pros - he plays a very mature game that resembles the NHL quite a bit. Captain Hook was the flashiest of everyone on the ice, but you can see the physical immaturity and he can't do the moves he wants yet. Lastly, I thought Henry showed a lot of growth. His skating in particular has gotten a lot better compared to last year, most notably his agility gave him a 1 up to every player there. Nick has also gotten stronger and was able to shield players off similar to Crosby.

This makes a ton of sense, one of the coaches today just seemed so familiar to me.
Thanks Seph. Glad to hear Werner, Kaut, Bowers and Shvyrev did great. I think Kaut will have a big year now that he had time to train properly. Shvyrev needs a better chance this year. As for Werner I'd love for the Avs to finally have a big goalie. Of course size is not the most important thing in a goalie but it can compensate for some other flaws and if you can have size along with good technique and good lateral movement you can become a very good NHL goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad