Prospect Info: 2019 Avalanche Development Camp [June 26th to 28th]

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I still see a lot of Silfverberg in Kaut.

Same size and right handed shot, but it’s the skating and general approach on the ice that is very similar. Cerebral type player, consistent but won’t be flashy.

Second line winger at best, third line winger at worst. Just my opinion.

Does Kaut have the same shootout move?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Same size and right handed shot, but it’s the skating and general approach on the ice that is very similar. Cerebral type player, consistent but won’t be flashy.

That’d be amazing. I see a 3rd liner, though.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hypothetically if Timmins really rebounds, would he need to be protected for expansion?

He would need to be protected unless the NHL and NHLPA grant a waiver. Opinions on whether it would be approved or not vary... it is very unknown and won't be known until the a month or so before the expansion draft.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I think that's a good and fair comparison.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I mean if anyone had a case to make lol.

The intent on the injury stuff is more recent though... like the season before an expansion draft they couldn't pay and may not play again. A couple years before that case may not be there. Timmins could have 2 excellent years and be 100% healthy... then it doesn't follow the intent.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Who has the better shot?

Hard to say...

I feel like it's being biased to say Kaut because Silf has a sneaky good release and pick corners well.

I'm not sure Kaut is as accurate with his but I think its maybe a harder shot.

That's the goal that immediately popped into my head when it comes to Silfv. Nasty shot and extremely accurate. I think Kauts shot could be as good one day but probably not right now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The intent on the injury stuff is more recent though... like the season before an expansion draft they couldn't pay and may not play again. A couple years before that case may not be there. Timmins could have 2 excellent years and be 100% healthy... then it doesn't follow the intent.

Interesting how that works.. I'd think the fact that he really does only have two pro years would matter. That also includes development as well. Since he basically lost an entire year with very little ability to even train.

I wonder if there is enough grey area in the rule to make a case, but it does not sound like it from that perspective. I mean if he does not have two solid years I doubt we even care at that point.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Hard to say...

I feel like it's being biased to say Kaut because Silf has a sneaky good release and pick corners well.

I'm not sure Kaut is as accurate with his but I think its maybe a harder shot.

I just know Kaut's shot is a plus part of his tools that isn't talked about much, and being able to pop 20 goals along with the defensive game is sort of the hallmark of Silver's game. Kind of a poor mans Landeskog in a way. Although Landy gets his goals a bit differently. It really would be a good comp if their shots are comparable.

I will say we really could use a forward like that. That is one of the reasons I like the idea of Donskoi. Those guys might not drive the second line, but they could play a important role on it. Or even play the defensive role Landy did on the first line if we need to move him down.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Interesting how that works.. I'd think the fact that he really does only have two pro years would matter. That also includes development as well. Since he basically lost an entire year with very little ability to even train.

I wonder if there is enough grey area in the rule to make a case, but it does not sound like it from that perspective. I mean if he does not have two solid years I doubt we even care at that point.

The grey area is just in the waiver itself. If they just go by the rules now, Timmins would be eligible. You're latter point is really the issue too. It is only a waiver if he ends up going... otherwise the Avs don't care. Why would the other NHL teams and NHLPA want the Avs to be allowed to keep a better player because he was injured for a season a few years earlier and is fine now?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

This would fall into a very Grey area.

Timmins missed the entire season due to a very serious injury. Does he have a potential career ending injury? Difficult to determine with Concussions. Another issue is would his contract slide due to the injury cost an entire year pushing his experience to be under 2 years? Consequently, exempting him from the draft?

"* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection."

Given the severity, the NHL could allow the exemption. Although, doubt Seattle would choose him anyways given the severity unless he has a miraculous recovery during the next 2 seasons.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The grey area is just in the waiver itself. If they just go by the rules now, Timmins would be eligible. You're latter point is really the issue too. It is only a waiver if he ends up going... otherwise the Avs don't care. Why would the other NHL teams and NHLPA want the Avs to be allowed to keep a better player because he was injured for a season a few years earlier and is fine now?

Yeah, but the fact is he actually lost an entire year. He wasn't in another league developing like usual. So in reality he will only have two years of pro experience. Which fits with the spirit of the rule.

I know we won't get details, but it would be interesting. I also can't see the league caring all that much unless the kid was trending in the direction of a #3D. If hes a 4/5 with maybe a bit of upside I can't imagine the NHL/NHLPA putting up much of a fight.

Speaking of.. No one has really been talking about Meloche in all of this. Right now at least to start our bottom pair is wide open. Timmins lost a year, but Meloche has been developing. Isn't there at least some merit to arguing that Meloche has just as good of a shot at that last right D slot?

Reactions: Brett44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad