2019 AUS Playoffs

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The 1st round of the AUS Playoffs are here and we have some interesting old school (MacAdam/Kelly Division rival) match-ups.

Note 1: Lowest advancing seed meets UNB while the highest advancing seed meets SMU.
Note 2: based on Note 1, StFX can not meet UNB unless both teams advance to the finals
Note 3: the 1st round is a best of three with the location being High seed - Low seed - High seed
Note 4: the 2nd round is best of 5 (winners go to Nationals)
Note 5: the 3rd round (Championship Finals) is best of 3

Series #1 - StFX vs Acadia.
Acadia won the head-2-head series 3-2; (W) 2-1, (L) 2-5, (L) 3-4, (W) 5-0 & (W) 6-3
Goals: 21 to 15
Comments: St.FX could have fallen to 4th. but a Moncton loss to SMU in the last game of the season cemented their position. The series will be the first games since the Wallybang in Wolfville. Hard to say who has the upper hand;
- each team has only one player in the top-10; #8 Harper (ACD), 30pts and #10 Cook (SFX), 29.
- each team has strong goaltending; Marchand (SFX) 2.90 GAA and Flodell (ACD) 3.02
- Acadia's three wins were home games. SFX was 12-3 at home

The wildcard will be the supplemental suspensions to come before the series starts.

Series #2 - UPEI vs Moncton
UPEI won the head-2-head series (L) 5-3; (W) 6-5, (W) 3-2, (L) 4-3 & (W) 4-2
Goals: 22 to 15
Commnets: UPEI needed a win in game #30 and a loss by UdeM to jump into 4th and snag home-ice advantage for the 1st round. This will be a tough hard fought series and will likely go 3;
- UPEI won 2-of-3 home games and got the third win on the road.
- UPEI has one top-10 scorer in Kielly (3rd with 43pts) while Moncton has St-Cyr (7th with 32) and Therrien (8th with 30)
- Moncton also has an edge in nets; Montpetit (UDeM) 2.85 GAA vs Hofley (UPEI) 3.61
Comments: Both teams have won in the other team's barn, but UPEI is only 8-7 at home, but Moncton is only 4-11 on the road (they are 10-5 at home - losing home ice might come back to bite them).

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
P L A Y O F F P O O L (Round 1)
2pts for successfully choosing a series winner
2pts for successfully choosing the series length
1pt for missing the series length by one game

My choices
SFX over ACD in 3 (2-1)
UdeM over UPEI in 3 (2-1)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I could see both series go either way and in 2 or 3 games. I feel like this is the first time in a long time where I wouldn’t be surprised by whatever happens. These four teams are that tight IMO.

But if I made to make a prediction:

St. FX in 3 (had Acadia initially but home ice and Marchand will be too much, even if Acadia has been playing better lately)

Moncton in 2 (they steal the first one then wrap it up at home where they have been good all year)

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia over X in 3 - I am in the minority but I really have a hunch on this one. The Axemen have been playing a lot better lately. Even though they lost to Moncton they outshot them by a wide margin. The two teams are closer than the standings indicate.

Moncton over UPEI in 2 - I'm going with Montpetite here. Overall the Panthers might be better but they have show a tendency to completely collapse at times.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UPEI/Moncton changed to Thursday-Saturday-Monday.

If this series go 3, then the winner could be looking at 5 games in 9 days.

St. FX/Acadia is proceeding as usually for now.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Acadia were totally outmatched, I expected a much better fight back from them.
Acadia had a good start, and were carrying most of the early play. But once they took that 5-on-3, and gave up the power play goal, and then shortly after the stoppable 2-0 goal, they seemed to melt away.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I only saw the 1st period as I had to go out. The 2nd goal looked like it was deflected by an Acadia player?

Regarding the fight, McClelland, while not an everyday player, Did play in 15 games this season. The other guy, the Intramural dummy, got parachuted in the past weekend and played 2. So there's that....

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I only saw the 1st period as I had to go out. The 2nd goal looked like it was deflected by an Acadia player?

Regarding the fight, McClelland, while not an everyday player, Did play in 15 games this season. The other guy, the Intramural dummy, got parachuted in the past weekend and played 2. So there's that....
Assuming maybe I'm missing some sarcasm but Cuomo played 11 games for X last year , and I know at least in the UNB programs has been listed all year.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Pretty tight game between Panthers and Les Aigles. Both goaltenders played well although Montpetite let in a tough one to end it.

Surprised Mancina got the start over Hofley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad