2019 AUS Playoffs

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
UNB 3 UPEI 1
UNB dictated play with energy and loads of chances, but Mancini who was a big reason why the Island swept Moncton, was very good in the Panthers net. UPEI is no push over, they are physical and have some pretty good offensive skill.
Important win for UNB, game #2 will be a must for the panthers.
SMU 3 X 0
Good start for SMU, game #2 will be pivotal, I would think that X will be desperate as they can't afford to go done 2-0.

Eastern Scout

Feb 4, 2019
UNB 3 UPEI 1
UNB dictated play with energy and loads of chances, but Mancini who was a big reason why the Island swept Moncton, was very good in the Panthers net. UPEI is no push over, they are physical and have some pretty good offensive skill.
Important win for UNB, game #2 will be a must for the panthers.
SMU 3 X 0
Good start for SMU, game #2 will be pivotal, I would think that X will be desperate as they can't afford to go done 2-0.
Watched UPEI's game 2 win vs UdeM. UPEI full marks for the win. Most complete game I have seen the Panthers play this season. All 4 lines, Special Teams and goaltending was good when needed. Likely will not beat UNB & more probable that the series will be a sweep than not... but UPEI will "push" UNB to be a better version of themselves than some other teams would have done.

SMU severely outplayed X. Five on Five: Very few shots for X (less than 10) without any great scoring chances. Most of X's chances and shots were on the PP. SMU hit 4 posts and Marchand was the best player on the ice period. Score was flattering to X. Probability of a SMU sweep is as likely as a UNB sweep... maybe greater. Marchand may steal a win though.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
For either UPEI or SFX to win a game - it's a goalie stealing it. Mancini was great in nets, but UNB was willing to play down-low and get into the paint which was the difference (all of UNB's goal were in the paint) - he stopped everything he could see from outside the crease. There was lots of dominating shifts for UNB, but they had to get into the paint to score. If they keep that up - it's a sweep. If they hang back and play a 'pretty' game, it's a lot more work and possibly a loss.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
SMU severely outplayed X. Five on Five: Very few shots for X (less than 10) without any great scoring chances. Most of X's chances and shots were on the PP. SMU hit 4 posts and Marchand was the best player on the ice period. Score was flattering to X. Probability of a SMU sweep is as likely as a UNB sweep... maybe greater. Marchand may steal a win though.

It's interesting you mentioned the difference in play 5 on 5 as that has been very typical of St. FX this year. I looked at a few different stats and it shows that the X-Men have generally been pretty terrible at generating offence even strength this year and have relied heavily on their PP/special teams to win them games.

Even Strength Goals Scored (vs. Even Strength Goals Allowed):
1) UNB - 100 (vs. 41)
2) Saint Mary's - 75 (vs. 58)
3) Moncton - 74 (vs. 69)
4) UPEI - 69 (vs. 80)
5) Acadia - 57 (vs. 57)
6) St. FX - 50 (vs. 69)
7) Dalhousie - 43 (vs. 70)

Percentage of goals that are PP goals:
1) St. FX - 37%
2) Saint Mary's - 30%
3) Dalhousie - 30%
4) UPEI - 29%
5) UNB - 25%
6) Acadia - 22%
7) Moncton - 18%

They only score 1.66 even strength goals/game, so if you stay out of the box/shut down their power play you have a great chance to beat them...unless Marchand steals the game.

Reactions: Eastern Scout

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Noticed Tremaine got two 10-minute misconducts last night...does that mean he will suspended next game?

Cook was also out last night and Difruscia is still out.

X-Men might in tough if all three are out tomorrow....they already played one man short last night.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Noticed Tremaine got two 10-minute misconducts last night...does that mean he will suspended next game?
Yes - a player receiving two(2) 10-min misconducts results in an automatic Game Misconduct. However, in some cases - the league may deem the game the player was expelled from as 'the game'. Depends on how much time was left in the game when they were expelled
(not much in this game - 19sec left). Also - depends on how many previous GMs they have received (the AUS tracks GMs).

In this case - his first 10-min was related to a hit-to-the-head, but I don't see that as being 'special'.

Also, Thompson will be out for the next game for sure with that Major for hit-to-the-head.

Nothing on the Discipline page yet - but it's Sunday and they don't play until Monday night.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
He picked up the first one in the 1st period and the second one with 19 seconds left in the game.

Thompson also got a 5 minute major and game misconduct for contact to the head...so he could be out too.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Wondering if all of these penalties (and possibly more suspensions) will have any effect on Peddle's appeal, can't see it helping any.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
In the event both UNB and SMU sweep...could that mean an early (i.e. this week) start to the AUS Finals...or given that both series could have played into next weekend...would the finals not start until the week of March 4th regardless of the length of the semi series?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
In the event both UNB and SMU sweep...could that mean an early (i.e. this week) start to the AUS Finals...or given that both series could have played into next weekend...would the finals not start until the week of March 4th regardless of the length of the semi series?

There is no specific date listed in the operations manual other than to end the season by March 9th.

If they both finish tonight - I could see the next series going Thu/Sat/Mon or Fri/Sun/Tue - no need to delay it, may as well start after a few days of rest.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So the sweep of UPEI doesnt come as a surprise but they did keep the first two games against the Reds really close with the second game going to OT. Reds just simply took over in game three. The Panthers were probably fatigued at this point.
Note - Mancina left after the first period.

X extends the series against the Huskies. I figured it would at least four. Would like to see it go five.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
There is no specific date listed in the operations manual other than to end the season by March 9th.

If they both finish tonight - I could see the next series going Thu/Sat/Mon or Fri/Sun/Tue - no need to delay it, may as well start after a few days of rest.
Just announced that Game 1 will be Monday March 4th.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I would assume that game #2 Wed Mar 6'th and game#3 Friday Mar 8'th.
Prolonging the series means less of a layoff heading into nationals.
CanadaWest will finish this Sunday March 2 at the latest, definitely a longer break than the OUA and AUS reps.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I would assume that game #2 Wed Mar 6'th and game#3 Friday Mar 8'th.
Prolonging the series means less of a layoff heading into nationals.
CanadaWest will finish this Sunday March 2 at the latest, definitely a longer break than the OUA and AUS reps.

The SFX/SMU winner can request a 2-day wait (the maximum) and select Thursday night, forcing game 3 to be Saturday (1-day mandatory break and the last allowed day to play). Depends on what events are slated for their respective rinks on Wednesday.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
STFX wins 6-3 to tie up their series with SMU. Game 5 goes Friday night.

Unlike game 3 Marchand did not have to steal this game for X as they outplayed the Huskies for the most part. Shots were 34-30 in favor of X.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Not winning game 3 against a depleted X team that was without Cook/Needham/Tremaine among others is going to come back and bite SMU.

A 7-1 power play advantage for X in the first 30 minutes didn’t hurt either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad