2019 AUS Playoffs

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
As many predicted Marchand steals one and X has come back to win their series with SMU. X will now face UNB in the AUS final for the fourth consecutive year.

What a huge disappointment for the Huskies program. I thought the underachieved last year but this year they were a solid second place team. Poised to finally go back to the Nationals. Now it will be five years since they've qualified.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
St. FX looked like team playing a 9th playoff game...and also missing their best player.

Hopefully Clapperton is ok...that line was buzzing all night.

Boucher too for that matter...did he get injured in the last game against UPEI? I don’t remember seeing anything but I wasn’t paying too much attention the last part of that game.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Hard to believe that was the same X team that beat SMU.
But..... That's what Marchand can do. The problem in game #1 for X, was that UNB dictated the pace and play and matched their physical play from start to finish. If UNB plays to their potential, it will take a hell of an effort to beat them!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I'm guessing that if you give up 48 shots, 5 may go in.
The score could have easily been 7 or 8, Marchant made some really great saves last night, he was the only reason that this one was not a laugher.
X looked gassed out there, missing those three probably would not have made a difference last night. I would expect a different game Wednesday night

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Totally dominating game for UNB; shots, time of possession, cycle, hits, etc. St FX just had no answer and eventually ran out of gas.

The three lowest shooting games for SFX this season

GF1 - 10 (at UNB with 47) L 5-1
G13 - 12 (vs UNB with 29) L 5-1
G29 - 13 (at UNB with 49) L 8-2
G21 - 16 (vs UNB with 29) W 4-2
G10 - 17 (vs SMU with 32) W 2-1
G11 - 18 (vs ACD with 35) W 4-3
G12 - 19 (at UNB with 55) L 8-1

A 3-4 record with 15 GF and 32 GA. Average shots of 15 vs 39. Kind of surprised they got 3 wins.

15 shots is an average of 1 shot every 4min vs their opponent who gets a shot every 92sec

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It's not how many times you shoot, but how many get past the goalie.

UNB played arguably their best game since November, and were firing on all cylinders. I believe they surprised X with how many times they went "into the dirty areas" in front of the net. A lot more old school playoff hockey and a lot less razzle-dazzle east-west hockey than normal. One game is not a trend, but it appears that the UNB players may finally be getting the message that the X-Men consistently wait for them to make a low-percentage pass or turn over the puck trying to beat two checkers, and then pounce on them. The Reds played a simpler, but still quick, game last night and StFX couldn't respond.

That being said, the X-Men are not dead until you pound a stake through their chests, so I expect a different X team on Wednesday.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I believe they surprised X with how many times they went "into the dirty areas" in front of the net. A lot more old school playoff hockey and a lot less razzle-dazzle east-west hockey than normal.

They played the same way against UPEI...the majority of their goals were from no more than 5 feet from the crease. It’s certainly encouraging to see as a UNB fan...I think that’s how they need to play in order to be successful the next two weeks.

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I agree with this. You can play on the perimeter against a weak goalie and still win. To win against a good team/goalie you need to get your nose bloodied. If they are willing to pay the price they can be successful.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
IMO, the AUS is the most physical conference and these two teams will be willing to go to the paint at Nationals.. X will go there, just didn't't have enough puck possession to do so in game#1.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was very surprised with how little physical play there was in the Alberta/Saskatchewan semi-final game last year...especially given their rivalry and the fact both teams are full of WHL players - long considered the most physical of the CHL leagues.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I was very surprised with how little physical play there was in the Alberta/Saskatchewan semi-final game last year...especially given their rivalry and the fact both teams are full of WHL players - long considered the most physical of the CHL leagues.
Peddle has instructed his players to finish their checks at every chance. If this goes 3, there is going to be injuries. UNB, already missing Clapperton from a game #1 injury.
Of all the games that I have seen at Nationals, I have never seen a CanadaWest team take the body like what we are seeing in the AUS finals, with X and UNB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad