2019 Around the League V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Imagine if the Canucks drafted Nylander then drafted Nylander. Then drafted Tkachuk, then traded up for Tkachuk. Then drafted Pettersson, then traded for Pettersson.

Then traded for Tanev. Then traded for Granlund.
Philadelphia would sue
OK, this is a highly underrated quip. Took me a second, too.

Ryan Kesler and Schnieder are spiraling. Given that Gillis managed to get a 9th overall return on a goaltender, I am curious to see what his rebuild plan was when he was GM. He proposed something to the ownership but they flat out rejected any rebuilding at that time.
It is bananas that the Horvat trade remains the last true, unforced rebuilding move that the Canucks have made. And it was the previous GM.

Reactions: HelloCookie

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Canucks Now‏ @CanucksNow
FollowFollow @CanucksNow
More
Tony Gallagher: "I suspect ownership had a small influence in drafting Virtanen. Before he departed, Gillis told me that they liked Larkin."
10:39 AM - 11 Nov 2016

I wonder if that was Gillis true thoughts at the time or a hindsight is 20/20 thought.

I'm sure Gillis liked a lot of players in the draft, doesn't mean he would have taken all of them at #5 overall though.

Larkin wasn't ranked that high as I recall and really exploded in his D+1 year.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The canucks hired Benning because he was exactly the kind of guy who would draft someone like Virtanen.

I actually don't doubt that ownership wanted Jake before hiring Benning but it doesn't absolve Benning of anything.

Reactions: MS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks Now‏ @CanucksNow
FollowFollow @CanucksNow
More
Tony Gallagher: "I suspect ownership had a small influence in drafting Virtanen. Before he departed, Gillis told me that they liked Larkin."
10:39 AM - 11 Nov 2016

Gillis' draft history when I watched it on TSN was that he always ended up picking the highest rated player left on the board. Took Schroeder when he fell, Gaunce went right around where he was ranked, and he took Shink when he fell.

Never saw a scouting bureau that had Larkin in the top 10.

But, we'll never know.

member 290103

One Gallagher quote seems a bit flimsy to take this whole Gillis would’ve drafted Larkin thing as gospel.

I don’t but it. I thought it was dubious the first time I heard Gallagher say it.

No fan of Tony G. I don’t believe snyhtning he says.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
One Gallagher quote seems a bit flimsy to take this whole Gillis would’ve drafted Larkin thing as gospel.
Plenty of other rumours taken for granted as true by many posters here don't even have a quote, or a source, and some (Anaheim making the 10OA available for Kesler, for example) are directly contradicted by GMs involved in the negotiations. Doesn't seem to stop anyone.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Plenty of other rumours taken for granted as true by many posters here don't even have a quote, or a source, and some (Anaheim making the 10OA available for Kesler, for example) are directly contradicted by GMs involved in the negotiations. Doesn't seem to stop anyone.

Please provide a source for your conjecture.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Please provide a source for your conjecture.
The Ducks' GM was quoted by multiple publications as categorically denying they were willing to trade the pick or ever entertained any offer that requested it. If I cared whether you believed me or thought you were requesting a source in good faith I might look around for it but I don't, and it's late.

Reactions: Nomobo

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Gillis' draft history when I watched it on TSN was that he always ended up picking the highest rated player left on the board. Took Schroeder when he fell, Gaunce went right around where he was ranked, and he took Shink when he fell.

Took McCann when he fell.

The little piss ant didn't look too pleased about it either. Whether it was because his entitled ass thought he deserved to go higher or just simply because the Canucks drafted him... or both... we'll never know.

Reactions: Nomobo

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Ducks' GM was quoted by multiple publications as categorically denying they were willing to trade the pick or ever entertained any offer that requested it. If I cared whether you believed me or thought you were requesting a source in good faith I might look around for it but I don't, and it's late.

What makes you think I'm not requesting it in good faith?

From what I can see, dim jim was requested for a source and provided one. Seems only fair that you provide evidence to the opposite for your claim, no?

I recall Murray saying that all of his picks were on the table at the deadline. Or, a rumour to that effect sourced by a reporter. He was then asked about the same thing at the draft and denied the initial rumour. That's my recall of it, two conflicting reports. Is that your recollection?

Besides, are we expecting the GM to tell the full truth here? Surely not.

Last edited:

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
From what I recall both othe the Ducks 1sts and 2nds were available for Kesler at the Tdl but not at the draft.

As for Gillis drafting at 6th, did he say that before he was fired or after? If it was prior to, then is makes sense as it was unkown when the Canucks would be drafting. My money would of been Nylander being drafted if Gillis was in charge that day.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
From what I recall both othe the Ducks 1sts and 2nds were available for Kesler at the Tdl but not at the draft.

As for Gillis drafting at 6th, did he say that before he was fired or after? If it was prior to, then is makes sense as it was unkown when the Canucks would be drafting. My money would of been Nylander being drafted if Gillis was in charge that day.
He would have still cost 7M and we probably wouldn't have Elias or Brock.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
What makes you think I'm not requesting it in good faith?

From what I can see, dim jim was requested for a source and provided one. Seems only fair that you provide evidence to the opposite for your claim, no?

I recall Murray saying that all of his picks were on the table at the deadline. Or, a rumour to that effect sourced by a reporter. He was then asked about the same thing at the draft and denied the initial rumour. That's my recall of it, two conflicting reports. Is that your recollection?

Besides, are we expected the GM to tell the full truth here? Surely not.
Someone else can if they want. If no one bothers, congratulations -- you win.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Only Rakell is the real deal, every one else is nothing special or magic beans, I only see Steel as the only potential top 6 forward
Both Kase and Ritchie is scoring at a 50 pt pace, all of Comtois, Lundestrom & Terry has top 6 upside, plus they have a good chance at a top pick this year. Anaheim need a new coach, but their cap is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan