Prospect Info: 2019 #98 - Matias Maccelli - LW

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm optimistic but if I'm BA I'm not assuming anything about Macelli and Hayton until they at a minimum show that consistency by doing it again next year.

RedBeard

Aug 16, 2005
Phoenix
Tuch/Thompson/Skinner
Quinn/Cozens/JJPeterka
Kulich/Savoie/Rousek or Rosen or Olofsson who had 26 goals this year. All I'm saying is that they are loaded and many other prospects with high upside outside of the guys mentioned.

Well, Coyotes seem to be going down that same road now with the emergence of Maccelli & Hayton
Keller/Hayton/Schmaltz
Maccelli/Cooley/Guenther
Crouse/Geekie/Doan

and that doesn't even include our top 2 picks this year.

and we've got more prospects that are performing well not to mention the 40+ picks we've got in the next 3 drafts

Love all the possibilities. Can we actually picture a solid + developing playoff team in Tucson and a good NHL team at the same time? Where Doan, Lipkin, Lutz, Matikka, Fedotov, Farinacci, and future picks have a hard time making the Coyotes roster. Sounds amazing.

Reactions: Fyreman

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm optimistic but if I'm BA I'm not assuming anything about Macelli and Hayton until they at a minimum show that consistency by doing it again next year.
Maccelli will. He has managed to produce in every league with this exact playing style that he is playing right now.

I agree Sinurgy. And that's why BA won't be buying or trading for players who actively make our roster better now but won't be here in the future just yet. If next offseason we improve our roster without players we have drafted, it will be through cap dumps that worked out (Ghost, Bjudstadt) or acquiring players that are under 25 who are only available because they need a change of scenery or because of the other teams own logjam/cap issues.

But I do think Hayton and Maccelli are closer to being sure things than not. Like Magonus said Maccelli keeps mastering each new level of difficulty of each league he has played in. Obviously we need to see another successful season out of him though

I'm less certain about Hayton but am gaining confidence each game that is played. I don't think it's a coincidence that Hayton is not on Keller's line right now. BA may be wanting to see if he can produce away from a PPG winger. I also think he may be letting Hayton get chemistry with Maccelli because he wants to see if Cooley looks good in Fischer's spot. I've gathered BA and AT has a working relationship with line construction too and an agreement to let kids develop/try different line combinations out. I also wonder where Hayton would be if he had a normal development. He missed seasons worth of games due to COVID and sitting out games. In many ways you can think of this season as his D+2 season rather than his D+4.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Maccelli will. He has managed to produce in every league with this exact playing style that he is playing right now.
I've been following Maccelli for awhile and 2 things about him:

1. (As you said) He's produced in every league he's been in. He's always been amongst the best of his age(ppg), even as he's climbed up levels- USHL, Liiga, AHL, NHL). If he's been in a league for 2 years, he's improved each year.

2. He's improved his weaknesses. He was a somewhat soft, perimeter, not great skating but skilled offensive player in the USHL. Now he's in the NHL, a better skater, more involved away from the puck, better defensively and on the boards, stronger on the puck and plays a more team game. The bst thing is that for 3/4 of the year he was looking to pass TOO often. The last 10 or so he's been shooting more. I don't know if he can progress more than he has, and what he is already is really good, but given his history, I don't think this is an aberration, and is more likely, not even the peak.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It was fun being fundedbyrevenue sharing, mostly to annoy dumbass haters, but I gotta go with my man Maccelli. Hopefully his tenure here goes better than Chycrun's. Also my terrible avatar made with google drawings is reallllllllly bad. If anyone with actual photoshop skills wants to upgrade it feel free. Or just laugh at how dumb the whole thing is haha.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
It was fun being fundedbyrevenue sharing, mostly to annoy dumbass haters, but I gotta go with my man Maccelli. Hopefully his tenure here goes better than Chycrun's. Also my terrible avatar made with google drawings is reallllllllly bad. If anyone with actual photoshop skills wants to upgrade it feel free. Or just laugh at how dumb the whole thing is haha.
Try mid journey.. you just type what yiu want and it will draw it for you

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
How did Macelli not get into the final 3 for the Calder voting? I guess a coyote does not have much of a chance.

Beniers and Skinner makes sense, but several players should be considered over Power. Maccelli yes, but also Johnston with 24 goals.

Reactions: Mosby

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Gotta love the main boards where dudes are actually trying to be smart asses by saying “who?” as though that sends any other message beside ignorance. So typical. So stupid.

EDIT: I’m not mad about him not being a finalist. He needed more games played and more goals.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Gotta love the main boards where dudes are actually trying to be smart asses by saying “who?” as though that sends any other message beside ignorance. So typical. So stupid.

EDIT: I’m not mad about him not being a finalist. He needed more games played and more goals.
Our Lord and Savior Matias Maccete will take his revenge upon you!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm not an analytics guy but I heard a couple of hockey personalities speak in last few weeks and they thought Power was at worst the 2nd best rookie this past year. I don't watch Buffalo or follow the fancy stats so I have no idea if they are correct??

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not an analytics guy but I heard a couple of hockey personalities speak in last few weeks and they thought Power was at worst the 2nd best rookie this past year. I don't watch Buffalo or follow the fancy stats so I have no idea if they are correct??
I think the media is projecting who has the most potential and siding with the guys taken earlier in the draft over a mid round player who missed almost a quarter of the season with injury who didn’t score very many goals in comparison to the other candidates. Macelli blew me away with how easily and how frequently he could gain the offensive zone. That is an under-appreciated ability.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think the media is projecting who has the most potential and siding with the guys taken earlier in the draft over a mid round player who missed almost a quarter of the season with injury who didn’t score very many goals in comparison to the other candidates. Macelli blew me away with hoe easily and how frequently he could gain the offensive zone. That is an under-appreciated ability.
I don't think it takes much projection when a Rookie D plays almost 24 minutes a night and gets 35 points without number 1 pp time. I just don't do the fancy stats so can't comment on what they were talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad