Prospect Info: 2019 #98 - Matias Maccelli - LW

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would fully support a make it 6 campaign, out of spite. Doesn't even have to be Winnipeg.
No.

There were plenty of Canadians, including Canadian moderators on HF, who were just disgusted with the campaign against the Coyotes (even while American moderators such as Fugu and Lord Stanley supported the campaign by refusing to clamp down on egregious posts). I would not want anyone, Canadian or not, to lose their team.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
No.

There were plenty of Canadians, including Canadian moderators on HF, who were just disgusted with the campaign against the Coyotes (even while American moderators such as Fugu and Lord Stanley supported the campaign by refusing to clamp down on egregious posts). I would not want anyone, Canadian or not, to lose their team.
I agree. For example, I despise the Golden Knights but I would never want them to relocate. No fanbase should suffer that.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
No.

I agree. For example, I despise the Golden Knights but I would never want them to relocate. No fanbase should suffer that.
You're both right. I meant it as a smartass joke really. It was a stupid comment and in reality would be a shitty thing.

RedBeard

Aug 16, 2005
Phoenix
Of course, it would also be fine to pick Fantilli and let him and Cooley come in 2nd and 3rd respectively for the Calder. :)

Draft Fantilli and Moore (Minnesota bound). Cooley and Fantilli sign after this season. Coyotes add Cooley and Fantilli for next year. Knies decides to stay for another college season (fiction can be fun), plays on a line centered by Moore next year. Knies starts having NHL daydreams of playing back in AZ with Doan, Cooley, Moore etc...

A man can dream ;)

Reactions: YotesFan47

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Draft Fantilli and Moore (Minnesota bound). Cooley and Fantilli sign after this season. Coyotes add Cooley and Fantilli for next year. Knies decides to stay for another college season (fiction can be fun), plays on a line centered by Moore next year. Knies starts having NHL daydreams of playing back in AZ with Doan, Cooley, Moore etc...

A man can dream ;)
I’ll take it!!!

Reactions: Summer Rose

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
You mean like Guenther...I think Maccelli/Cooley/Guenther would be exceptional
Maybe, I have aspirations that we'll draft Benson and pair him with Guenther and Geekie.

Keller - Cooley - Schmaltz
Benson - Geekie - Guenther
Maccelli - Hayton - Crouse/Hull
Fisher - McBain - Doan

That will be an absolute handful for other teams to take on.

I would love to see us take a few high end wingers if we like them more than the centers and D.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Didn't see this posted. Hopefully not a duplicate. Some pretty awesome highlights.

God he's hot right now. Imagine this kid in his prime, is 80+ out of the question if he gets an elusive goal scorer to work with? Someone like Hull, always finding that empty pocket would be sweet.
This kid is just down right good. BA and co. saw this last year when they brought him up. I don't think any of us saw this coming.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He has completely altered the course of our forward core.
Going into this season we had the following winger depth:
Keller who looked like he may be a top line winger if he could replicate what he did last season (he did and then some).
Guenther still an unknown but projected top six winger
Crouse a power forward
Then Doan/Lutz/Mattika/Nate Smith/Jenik/Fedotov

I'm excluding Schmaltz because I don't think anyone thinks he is a long term piece.

Maccelli already looking like a bonafide top six winger out of nowhere changes our need at forward completely. It's amazing. Went from a place of weakness to a place that could quickly have a logjam depending on this draft.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The way he easily gains the zone. It’s mindblowing after seeing this team struggle to do this for years. He does it effortlessly.
He reads the play so well. I have to think it will translate later on to his defensive game which isn't that notable yet. Probably similarly to the high points of Schmaltz's defensive game, where it's about stripping pucks in the neutral zone rather than winning battles once already established in the defensive zone. Hopefully, he's willing to put forth more effort than Schmaltz on that end. His father is a coach, so I'd think he has higher attention to detail on everything though and will be fine.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Keller who looked like he may be a top line winger if he could replicate what he did last season (he did and then some).
Crouse a power forward

I'm excluding Schmaltz because I don't think anyone thinks he is a long term piece.

Maccelli already looking like a bonafide top six winger out of nowhere changes our need at forward completely. It's amazing. Went from a place of weakness to a place that could quickly have a logjam depending on this draft.
Not to mention Hayton looking real, suddenly.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Agreed, the emergence of both Maccelli & Hayton have altered the course of the franchise in a good way. With those two proving they're going to be good, it just sets up the franchise to actually have a pretty decent top 9, which makes all the difference in winning games, so you're not relying on 1-line to do all the damage. Much like what Buffalo has going on, the Coyotes should see Goals For increase substantially next season.

Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Agreed, the emergence of both Maccelli & Hayton have altered the course of the franchise in a good way. With those two proving they're going to be good, it just sets up the franchise to actually have a pretty decent top 9, which makes all the difference in winning games, so you're not relying on 1-line to do all the damage. Much like what Buffalo has going on, the Coyotes should see Goals For increase substantially next season.
And Valimaki. Essentially any prospect/future player who was with Ilves Tampere had a breakout year and his year.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Crouse a power forward

This (although I do think Schmaltz hangs around for a little while still).

Noodles is gonna be the straw that stirs the drink in our middle six for years. Stoked.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Not sure I agree about that with Buffalo. I think they have a very young 2nd line who did some damage. JJ-Cozens-Quinn is super young and turned my head this season. Add Savoie to o that top 6 as Skinner starts phasing out.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Not sure I agree about that with Buffalo. I think they have a very young 2nd line who did some damage. JJ-Cozens-Quinn is super young and turned my head this season. Add Savoie to o that top 6 as Skinner starts phasing out.
Tuch/Thompson/Skinner
Quinn/Cozens/JJPeterka
Kulich/Savoie/Rousek or Rosen or Olofsson who had 26 goals this year. All I'm saying is that they are loaded and many other prospects with high upside outside of the guys mentioned.

Well, Coyotes seem to be going down that same road now with the emergence of Maccelli & Hayton
Keller/Hayton/Schmaltz
Maccelli/Cooley/Guenther
Crouse/Geekie/Doan

and that doesn't even include our top 2 picks this year.

and we've got more prospects that are performing well not to mention the 40+ picks we've got in the next 3 drafts

Reactions: RedBeard

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Tuch/Thompson/Skinner
Quinn/Cozens/JJPeterka
Kulich/Savoie/Rousek or Rosen or Olofsson who had 26 goals this year. All I'm saying is that they are loaded and many other prospects with high upside outside of the guys mentioned.

Well, Coyotes seem to be going down that same road now with the emergence of Maccelli & Hayton
Keller/Hayton/Schmaltz
Maccelli/Cooley/Guenther
Crouse/Geekie/Doan

and that doesn't even include our top 2 picks this year.

and we've got more prospects that are performing well not to mention the 40+ picks we've got in the next 3 drafts

My lord, I'm sorry I read your initial post as "unlike Buffalo". No, I couldn't agree more. I hope we are building in the BUF model. A deep top 9. My bad

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad