Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 7 | Post-Deadline Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Z's last game was pretty bad and he hasn't played well for a while now. His time with the Avs is coming to a close at the draft IMO.

If I had to bet money on what's happening with him I'd say that's exactly the reason why he's this bad.

He probably heard that he was getting shopped. Anyway, his contract is up this summer and he knows what happened last time with the contract negotiation and that he's now behind Girard, Graves and Byram (soon) in the LHD depth list. He's done as an Av.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If I had to bet money on what's happening with him I'd say that's exactly the reason why he's this bad.

He probably heard that he was getting shopped. Anyway, his contract is up this summer and he knows what happened last time with the contract negotiation and that he's now behind Girard, Graves and Byram (soon) in the LHD depth list. He's done as an Av.

I definitely understand how trade rumors can affect a player's play, but he's not doing himself any favors by playing like crap.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015

Yet it seemed to light a fire under Jost’s ass?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
My (hopeful) theory on Z is that Bednar is micromanaging the living shit out of him for the better. Picking apart his every little mistake and making him fine tune the little things. Come playoff time Bednar will tell him “go do your thing”. He’ll hopefully go back to his over-physical shutdown style while unconsciously fine tuning the little things that had been beaten into his head without really even thinking about it.

Perhaps I’m way off base and it all comes down to Zadorov simply being a bonehead that Bednar doesn’t want out there. However if he can put it all together for a few playoff series’ and shutdown some star players we are looking at a beautiful return for him in June.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My (hopeful) theory on Z is that Bednar is micromanaging the living shit out of him for the better. Picking apart his every little mistake and making him fine tune the little things. Come playoff time Bednar will tell him “go do your thing”. He’ll hopefully go back to his over-physical shutdown style while unconsciously fine tuning the little things that had been beaten into his head without really even thinking about it.

Perhaps I’m way off base and it all comes down to Zadorov simply being a bonehead that Bednar doesn’t want out there. However if he can put it all together for a few playoff series’ and shutdown some star players we are looking at a beautiful return for him in June.

I'm 99% sure that is just the case. He's never had a high hockey IQ and I've been preaching that for a long time now. Just gonna have to hope Tallon or Murray love Z and want to give him a beach lifestyle.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yet it seemed to light a fire under Jost’s ass?

A) different people respond differently to similar stimuli
B) Was it being in rumors that "lit a fire under Jost's ass" or was it the deadline passing without him being moved & Joe giving him a pep talk?
C) It's still a little early to tell if this is anything more than one of those briefs stints we've seen from Jost before. So we still need to see if something has actually changed or if Jost is just having more success doing what he's always done because he's getting that time & space that he struggles to create for himself at this level.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
A) different people respond differently to similar stimuli
B) Was it being in rumors that "lit a fire under Jost's ass" or was it the deadline passing without him being moved & Joe giving him a pep talk?
C) It's still a little early to tell if this is anything more than one of those briefs stints we've seen from Jost before. So we still need to see if something has actually changed or if Jost is just having more success doing what he's always done because he's getting that time & space that he struggles to create for himself at this level.

Not the point I was trying to make...

I think the excuses that people continue to make as to why Zadorov struggles are comical. He has all of the tools in the world, and when he is actually on his game is an effective top-4 d-man. His issue is that his toolbox is not there and it has not gotten any better. He has been given every opportunity to find success here, but the only thing that he is consistent at is showing up out of shape and taking around 30 games to actually start playing at semi-full capacity. I understand that the trade rumors may have hurt his feelings and that having a coach like Bednar bench him probably does too, but how long of a leash does this guy need to actually get it? Every contract negotiation has gone the same way, he wants term and money, the org wants to just see 82 games of full hockey from him. Z can not get out of his own way.

I hope he does. I think he has the ability to become a Chara 2.0, but the issue is that until he fixes the mental side of his game he will never reach the level that he is fully capable of.

Reactions: MarkT and cgf

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I like the trade someone posted :

Z, Jost and 2021 2nd for Drouin (seems fair trade and we knot MTL would say not enough)

With Frankie outplaying Grubauer this year.. And just recently signing a 2 year extension. Not sure what EJs limited no trade list is but hypothetically :

JT Compher, Kamenev, Grubauer, E Johnson to Ottawa for two 2nd rd picks.

We get out from EJ's contract and overall this frees up over 12 million. Ottawa more than likely has 2 Top 10 picks this year... Over the next 2 years they have 7 2nd rd picks. This gives them 2 young guys that can play now in the NHL in JT and Kamenev (he just needs a place to play), Grubauer gives them a veteran goalie and EJ gives them some leadership and his contract helps them reach the cap floor.

We would have around 19 million if these moves took place (based on cap salary)

Where we could then go after a Lehner in goal to pair with Frankie and possibly a Pietrangelo. And possibly still have 5-6 million left over.

Of if I am on crazy drugs just let me know lol

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I think the excuses that people continue to make as to why Zadorov struggles are comical. He has all of the tools in the world, and when he is actually on his game is an effective top-4 d-man. His issue is that his toolbox is not there and it has not gotten any better. He has been given every opportunity to find success here, but the only thing that he is consistent at is showing up out of shape and taking around 30 games to actually start playing at semi-full capacity. I understand that the trade rumors may have hurt his feelings and that having a coach like Bednar bench him probably does too, but how long of a leash does this guy need to actually get it? Every contract negotiation has gone the same way, he wants term and money, the org wants to just see 82 games of full hockey from him. Z can not get out of his own way.

I hope he does. I think he has the ability to become a Chara 2.0, but the issue is that until he fixes the mental side of his game he will never reach the level that he is fully capable of.

Gotcha, my b

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I like the trade someone posted :

Z, Jost and 2021 2nd for Drouin (seems fair trade and we knot MTL would say not enough)

With Frankie outplaying Grubauer this year.. And just recently signing a 2 year extension. Not sure what EJs limited no trade list is but hypothetically :

JT Compher, Kamenev, Grubauer, E Johnson to Ottawa for two 2nd rd picks.

We get out from EJ's contract and overall this frees up over 12 million. Ottawa more than likely has 2 Top 10 picks this year... Over the next 2 years they have 7 2nd rd picks. This gives them 2 young guys that can play now in the NHL in JT and Kamenev (he just needs a place to play), Grubauer gives them a veteran goalie and EJ gives them some leadership and his contract helps them reach the cap floor.

We would have around 19 million if these moves took place (based on cap salary)

Where we could then go after a Lehner in goal to pair with Frankie and possibly a Pietrangelo. And possibly still have 5-6 million left over.

Of if I am on crazy drugs just let me know lol
That 2nd trade is woof. We lose our best swiss army knife and starting goalie just to get rid of EJ's contract? Just seems like a stupid trade for the Avs to make at this point. Plus the subsequent moves really f*** us cap wise when we have to re sign Landy, Makar, and Mack.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That 2nd trade is woof. We lose our best swiss army knife and starting goalie just to get rid of EJ's contract? Just seems like a stupid trade for the Avs to make at this point. Plus the subsequent moves really f*** us cap wise when we have to re sign Landy, Makar, and Mack.

Not enough for JD, and EJ isn't waiving for Ottawa either lol.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

Big Z's tool box

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Gotcha, my b

I don't know if you listen to Spittin Chiclets, but I highly recommend listening to their recent Chris Pronger interview, especially about his time in Edmonton. I think it provides a lot of insight into a player like Z.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Big Z's tool box

More like this:

scattered-spanners-screwdrivers-on-ground-260nw-317743340.jpg

Reactions: Newusername

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't know if you listen to Spittin Chiclets, but I highly recommend listening to their recent Chris Pronger interview, especially about his time in Edmonton. I think it provides a lot of insight into a player like Z.

I usually don't...when I listen to podcasts it's almost always history ones lol...but I'll add it to the list of Spittin Chiclets episodes I need to check it out :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad