Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He has a personality, which inherently requires some finessing from a coach and a team's leadership core...but I've always felt like he suffered from being the biggest name on his teams instead of getting to be more of the out-going Robin to someone else's Cap'n Serious as part of a dynamic core.

And this isn't to say that he didn't clearly try really hard to rise to a leadership role in Montreal, just that I always felt like he would've fit in so much better if that team had an even better star up front; to take all of the best-player-BS for which PK's personality could be too much for some team-mates.
Maybe. But he’s certainly not the biggest star in New Jersey and he’s already stirring up that room.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I 100% believe that he will be that way in the NHL too. He's going to be a high-end, nearing elite player that bounces around the league. A difference between him and Subban is that Merkley won't be all that liked by fans.

I imagine he will be this generation's Vladimir Malakhov. All the talent in the world, but just not the right attitude to properly utilize it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe. But he’s certainly not the biggest star in New Jersey and he’s already stirring up that room.

Yeah, but a) that whole situation is a mess, which makes everyone look bad; and b) the bigger stars are a rookie and a dude who's been rumored to be on his way out. So you can argue that he's the biggest name for the Devils right now. I was thinking more along the lines of what would've happened if Montreal had had someone like MacK instead of Desharnais...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Byram talk is just crazy. I wouldn't trade him for a signed Hall and I'm someone who clearly wants Sakic to go get Hall.

Reactions: LTC Pain

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I imagine he will be this generation's Vladimir Malakhov. All the talent in the world, but just not the right attitude to properly utilize it.

I say more Sandis Ozolinsh... I see Merkley being an All Star level player who puts up numbers, but nobody wants to keep around. Not a guy that falls short.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's quite possible that P.K. Subban is a jerk who stirs up a locker room. It's also possible that John Hynes, Peter Laviolette, and Michel Therrien are not good coaches. It is again also possible that the Preds, Devils, and Habs are just not very well constructed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Byram talk is just crazy. I wouldn't trade him for a signed Hall and I'm someone who clearly wants Sakic to go get Hall.

People want to point to Stone as the closest idea of a deal. That was a deal that was more about getting the best single prospect than it was about a pick/s or package. That is the comparison for Byram being in the deal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah, but a) that whole situation is a mess, which makes everyone look bad; and b) the bigger stars are a rookie and a dude who's been rumored to be on his way out. So you can argue that he's the biggest name for the Devils right now. I was thinking more along the lines of what would've happened if Montreal had had someone like MacK instead of Desharnais...
Dude I don’t care if he’s Wayne Gretzky or if he’s an AHL player. The decision to do that social media thing was completely made by PK Subban the person. Has nothing to do with his star power or whether or not he’s the leader in the room.

PK Subban caused a stir in the dressing room this year by doing a very PK Subban thing. New Jersey’s situation didn’t make him look bad. He made himself look bad.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I say more Sandis Ozolinsh... I see Merkley being an All Star level player who puts up numbers, but nobody wants to keep around. Not a guy that falls short.

I kinda hope that happens. I don't mind there being drama in the NHL (of course not this awful Peters business) so long as my favorite team isn't involved. He looks like he'd be a hell of a lot of fun to watch on the ice, but maybe ends up not being so fun off of it.

Ozo did change addresses quite a bit but I never got the impression he was that much of a prima donna.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's quite possible that P.K. Subban is a jerk who stirs up a locker room. It's also possible that John Hynes, Peter Laviolette, and Michel Therrien are not good coaches. It is again also possible that the Preds, Devils, and Habs are just not very well constructed.

It's also possible that all these things are true.

Though I think Laviolette is a good coach. He's just got a shelf life because he's an A hole.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Hynes seems like a coach that still thinks he's coaching in the AHL. I loved him when he coached in WBS and thought NJ was getting a gem, but some coaches aren't suited for the NHL. His players supposedly would lay down in traffic for him but that doesn't necessarily mean he can get the most out of them, especially stars like Hall. He's kind of like Bylsma in that he prefers to coach AHL grinders and make superstars out of them instead of coaching up to already good players.

Their situation seems equal parts coaching and goaltending to me. Kind of hard to hide coaching issues without Matt Murray breaking AHL records for you.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
People want to point to Stone as the closest idea of a deal. That was a deal that was more about getting the best single prospect than it was about a pick/s or package. That is the comparison for Byram being in the deal.

I think Duchene to CBJ might end up being the closest recent comparable. All indications so far are that Hall isn't signing before July 1st. Unlike Vegas/Stone, I also don't know if the Avs would even want to sign him long-term.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Duchene to CBJ might end up being the closest recent comparable. All indications so far are that Hall isn't signing before July 1st.

We can all pick different comparables that we'd prefer or think. More about what New Jersey is after... the best single piece or the best grouping of pieces?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's also possible that all these things are true.

Though I think Laviolette is a good coach. He's just got a shelf life because he's an A hole.

Y'know, I thought that too for years...but apparently the underlying numbers betray him. Shocking to me that offense tends to dry up very quickly under his tutelage, because I always thought he was a run-and-gun coach. He's certainly nowhere near as good as his rep suggests.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We can all pick different comparables that we'd prefer or think. More about what New Jersey is after... the best single piece or the best grouping of pieces?

Sure but Hall and his agent's wants can't be ignored in that. The Sens got the single best piece because it ended up being a perfect scenario. Vegas badly wanted Stone and Stone badly wanted Vegas as the two sides had a previous relationship going back to his junior days and the Sens benefited from that. If there's something like that out there for the Devils then good for them. IMO, it won't be Byram, even if that means the Avs don't get Hall.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If the rumors are true that Hall and his agent are refusing to negotiate mid season then his trade value tanked quite a bit. The Stone trade isn't a comparable if that is true.

Hall is going to get a rental return with a conditional first tied onto it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
With him not willing to extend it’s going to have to be a grouping of pieces with conditions. No team is giving up a single great piece for a rental

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Ducks are starting to fall apart:

Byram + 1st + B level prospect

for

Rakell + Manson

Who says no?

Me.

Go back 3 years and offer Makar in some of these rediculous proposals and lets see how that works out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With him not willing to extend it’s going to have to be a grouping of pieces with conditions. No team is giving up a single great piece for a rental

It won’t have to have a grouping... still could be single best piece with a conditional

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I mean he probably replaces Cole/Graves next year and EJ long term.

Graves isn't going anywhere neither is Cole. You might as well get used to that. And I'm not sure Timmins is better than those 2 anyways.

And EJ is under contract for another 3 years.

So like I said for at least the next 2 years he is blocked by 7 Dmen and that's not even counting Byram.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Dude I don’t care if he’s Wayne Gretzky or if he’s an AHL player. The decision to do that social media thing was completely made by PK Subban the person. Has nothing to do with his star power or whether or not he’s the leader in the room.

PK Subban caused a stir in the dressing room this year by doing a very PK Subban thing. New Jersey’s situation didn’t make him look bad. He made himself look bad.
Like I said, he is his own brand and PK is PK's biggest fan. This contrasts quite a bit with the "team first" mentality that most (all) coaches want to see.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Graves isn't going anywhere neither is Cole. You might as well get used to that. And I'm not sure Timmins is better than those 2 anyways.

And EJ is under contract for another 3 years.

So like I said for at least the next 2 years he is blocked by 7 Dmen and that's not even counting Byram.

Most of the time I think exercising caution with prospects is a good idea, but we've seen enough from Timmins, Cole, and Graves, to know that Timmins will be better than the other two if he can stay healthy. Maybe even as soon as he gets called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad