Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That would cost $8 million. I can't see that happening.

They'd have a $2M cap hit through 2024-25 if they bought out EJ too, which is the first two seasons of MacKinnon's next contract.

They won't be able to afford that much dead cap space by then.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Does anyone think that a move for Jake Voracek could be on the cards? If the Flyers are still out of the playoff picture and try to get younger. I think he would be a damn good right winger for the top 6. Contract has 4 years left for 8.25 per
Interesting idea. If we're targetting ageing Philadelphia forwards though we might as well go all-in and ask for Giroux. Send them a package of 2020 1st, Newhook, Kaut/Timmins + another pick/prospect

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That would cost $8 million. I can't see that happening.

It's only a 2M a year caphit, that much could be freed up simply by not bringing Longbeach back :dunno:

I expect EJ will waive if we need him to, but if he decides to be stubborn about it we'll have a solution...one that should help motivate him to play ball.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs only ask EJ to waive if they need him to waive... unless Z takes some MAJOR steps forward, he's not going to be good enough to ask EJ to waive. Timmins, if he develops and is deemed eligible, might be the guy that they ask to EJ to waive for. Otherwise, it is somebody who isn't currently in the organization.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's only a 2M a year caphit, that much could be freed up simply by not bringing Longbeach back :dunno:

I expect EJ will waive if we need him to, but if he decides to be stubborn about it we'll have a solution...one that should help motivate him to play ball.

Does that seem like the way Sakic would treat someone like EJ though?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Avs only ask EJ to waive if they need him to waive... unless Z takes some MAJOR steps forward, he's not going to be good enough to ask EJ to waive.

It's not impossible for Timmins to become a regular next season & us to have added another scoring liner; so that we'd need to go 7-3-1...but yeah, odds are we'll have no issues even if we need to use a spot on EJ.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think the most likely course they follow is they trade Zadorov and possibly Jost/Compher (depending how big the deal is) for a top 6 winger. Then they go the 7-3 route.

Locks

MacKinnon
Mikko
Landy
Kadri
New Top 6 Winger

EJ
Girard
Makar

2 of the following

Burakovsky
Donskoi
Jost
Compher

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think the most likely course they follow is they trade Zadorov and possibly Jost/Compher (depending how big the deal is) for a top 6 winger. Then they go the 7-3 route.

Locks

MacKinnon
Mikko
Landy
Kadri
New Top 6 Winger

EJ
Girard
Makar

2 of the following

Burakovsky
Donskoi
Jost
Compher

Yeah, that's what I expect unless Timmins takes off before the XD and isn't given a waiver...or we trade for someone who'd require EJ's spot.

I was just saying that if we ended up needing EJ's spot for someone else, I wouldn't expect that to be an issue.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, that's what I expect unless Timmins takes off before the XD and isn't given a waiver...or we trade for someone who'd require EJ's spot.

I was just saying that if we ended up needing EJ's spot for someone else, I wouldn't expect that to be an issue.

Yeah the Timmins waiver situation is a pretty big X factor. That could throw a pretty big wrench in their whole plan.

Hopefully they have an idea of how the league will handle this, but knowing the Avs they probably won't tell the rest of us until some reporter pries it out of them days before the draft.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah the Timmins waiver situation is a pretty big X factor. That could throw a pretty big wrench in their whole plan.

Hopefully they have an idea of how the league will handle this, but knowing the Avs they probably won't tell the rest of us until some reporter pries it out of them days before the draft.

You have always been even more optimistic than me :sarcasm:

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York

What is going on with all that Timmins waiver protection thing. Other teams can take him if he plays with Avs? or are we loosing some other prospect if Timmins played this year?

Timmins looks like a top 4 dman prospect. I was very surprised that he was sent down.

Edit: We sent down Timmins in order to protect Rosen?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What is going on with all that Timmins waiver protection thing. Other teams can take him if he plays with Avs? or are we loosing some other prospect if Timmins played this year?

Timmins looks like a top 4 dman prospect. I was very surprised that he was sent down.

Edit: We sent down Timmins in order to protect Rosen?

Basically; Timmins may or may not get a waiver for last year.

If he does then he's safe & we don't have to worry about protecting him no matter where he plays. If he doesn't get a waiver then he's eligible to be picked by Seattle unless we protect him, even if he spends these next two seasons in the AHL.

Nothing that we do with him will impact his eligibility, it all depends on whether he is granted that waiver or not.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Annnnd all of a sudden we have 4 losses in our last 5 games, 3 of them in regulation.

STL: L
VGS: W
ANA: L
FLA: OTL
DAL: L

Reactions: CobraAcesS

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Only two top 6 wingers and no top pairing defensemen on the roster, add in the injuries and wonder they are losing.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

I don't like the dead cap space but I see ownership having concerns about throwing away $8 million in cash.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Annnnd all of a sudden we have 4 losses in our last 5 games, 3 of them in regulation.

STL: L
VGS: W
ANA: L
FLA: OTL
DAL: L

Look at each team we haven't picked up points against. They are all teams that just clog shit up.

I'm not expecting a better result against Arizona. They haven't figured out how to beat those teams.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Can anyone remind me why we pay Compher 3.5M a year?
That’s what 40-50 point pace players cost. Plus he’s a great PK’er and is very fast which fits our team identity.

He sucked last night and definitely has some nightly flaws but he’s a valuable hockey player. He just needs to play down the lineup where he belongs. Any time he’s on the ice with Mackinnon in particular he’s a disaster. All he tries to do is force the puck to Mackinnon.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Bura = bad at the time of the trade
Brassard = meh
Grubs = good but it's the Orpik scheme that made the difference and that's why we got him
Wilson = meh...he was essentially a cap dump for Nashville and we paid for it
Gelinas = bad
Matthias = bad
Soda = OK but still meh (we signed him as an UFA)
Reto Bera (that you left out) = bad

So there you have it. There's not a single trade that Sakic made with picks that was was above "meh" if we exclude the Grubauer trade where we had to pay Orpik to play with the Caps.
I’m not sure what you expect to get from picks that are not first rounders. I think these trades are on par on the whole.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
That's a very intriguing idea. I'm a little bit meh on Hall, don't get the obsession with him at all given the price in assets it would cost, but Voracek is a damn good, reliable scorer who should age reasonably well.
I just realized that Voracek does not score that many goals, he’s more of a playmaker and I think we lack snipers. I like him though and would be open to get him if the price was right and he was the best alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad