Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I think for the most part that the list of trades below suggests otherwise:
  • Burakovsky for 2nd + 3rd ............. At the time it felt like an overpay but Burakovsky has done well so far, certainly compared to Gusev who also cost a 2nd+3rd.
  • Brassard + 6th for 3rd................... Typical low-cost rental that helped in the playoffs. Recouped the 3rd in the Soderberg trade.
  • Grubauer + Orpik for 2nd............. I think we can all agree this was a great trade.
  • Wilson for 4th................................ Good value for a mid-round pick considering what Wilson has contributed, especially in 2 playoffs.
  • Gelinas for a 3rd............................ Yeah this one sucks
  • Matthias for 4th + Smith .............. Low-risk, low reward.
  • Soderberg (his rights) for a 6th..... Worked out well overall.
Obviously the jury is still out on the Burakovsky trade, but for the most part the trades are pretty solid with one or two exceptions.

One could also include larger trades involving picks like the Barrie/Kerfoot/6th for Kadri/Rosén/3rd where Sakic got good value for draft picks as well.
You missed the infamous Retto Berra trade!!

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Protecting Hall for expansion draft shouldn't be hard.

Protected forwards
MacK
Mikko
Landy
Hall
Kadri
Compher
Donskoi

Defense
Makar
Girard
Zadorov

Goalie
Gru

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Protecting Hall for expansion draft shouldn't be hard.

(snip)
The point of the idea suggested above was that Hall would be left exposed in the Expansion Draft on purpose, so as to get out of the last years of what might become a problematic contract.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The point of the idea suggested above was that Hall would be left exposed in the Expansion Draft on purpose, so as to get out of the last years of what might become a problematic contract.
I wouldn't do that, I'd trade for him and try to sign him to a 4 year contract since Sakic was willing to sign Panarin to 4 years and bunch of money.

If Hall wants to be on a contender and have a chance to win the cup, Avs will be an intriguing option for him even if it's a 4 year contract

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I think it depends on what Hall wants for himself. If he wants to go for the cup the he will sign with a contender for 4-5 years x 11.5 - 12 per year. Alternatively, if he wants to retire already then he will look for 7-8 years deal in a southern state with low pressure from the fans.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just can’t see Hall taking a 5 year deal. If he was willing I’d eaaaaaasily give him 11.5M per.

Yeah. I try to never under-estimate the delusional-cockiness of professional athletes...but even Hall has to realize how many injuries he has had and that he needs to lock down as much term as he can on his next deal. I'd be genuinely shocked if he even considered a 4 or 5 year deal.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah. I try to never under-estimate the delusional-cockiness of professional athletes...but even Hall has to realize how many injuries he has had and that he needs to lock down as much term as he can on his next deal. I'd be genuinely shocked if he even considered a 4 or 5 year deal.
Yup. He’s probably not going to get the AAV he expects but he’s certainly going to want that term.

Funny enough I wonder if Sakic would look at it differently. Knowing teams won’t pony up term would he use that as a sell job to Hall to keep his AAV down. If we traded for him we could even offer him an 8th year. His contract is going to be ugly towards the end no matter what but if Sakic sees these 4 years as the time to win perhaps he’ll offer something long term to Hall to keep the AAV down which allows us to add even more talent during this current 4 year Mackinnon window.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yup. He’s probably not going to get the AAV he expects but he’s certainly going to want that term.

Funny enough I wonder if Sakic would look at it differently. Knowing teams won’t pony up term would he use that as a sell job to Hall to keep his AAV down. If we traded for him we could even offer him an 8th year. His contract is going to be ugly towards the end no matter what but if Sakic sees these 4 years as the time to win perhaps he’ll offer something long term to Hall to keep the AAV down which allows us to add even more talent during this current 4 year Mackinnon window.

Does that sound like something Joe would actually do?

EDIT:
I can see the argument if you're really hard on the "who cares how tricksy the retool gets if we can truly maximize these next 4-6 runs", but I just can't see Joe doing that. It would be such a stark gear shift from a guy who I've critiqued for being too cautious for a long time now, to suddenly make me feel like he's being too aggressive that I'd have to tip my hat to him for taking his shot; even if I don't agree that that would be the shot to take.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So which central rival with Hall end up on? People are throwing the Blues around after the Tarasenko injury. Anyone else make sense?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Does that sound like something Joe would actually do?
In a way yes lol. Joe gets creative. People would be shocked to see him dish out a long term contract to Hall at first but then after you see what it does for our current window people will be all like “Joe did it again!!!”

If Taylor Hall is a key contributor to a Stanley Cup at about 2M under market value Sakic will look like a genius regardless of how those 3 additional years go at the end.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In a way yes lol. Joe gets creative. People would be shocked to see him dish out a long term contract to Hall at first but then after you see what it does for our current window people will be all like “Joe did it again!!!”

If Taylor Hall is a key contributor to a Stanley Cup at about 2M under market value Sakic will look like a genius regardless of how those 3 additional years go at the end.

Oh it's not the weaponization of our capspace that I doubt, Joe has shown he'll do that already. It's committing (so aggressively) to this next 4-6 years that we have some sort of cost certain through. I can see the rationale, but it would be so off-brand for a guy that I regularly make jokes about "kicking the can down the road, again" that I'm having a hard time actually imagining it :laugh:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Then we buy him out like we did Beauch :dunno:

tenor.gif

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Hall is going on 28. He can sign a 5 year deal, and still be able to sign a retirement contract afterwards.
Someone would overpay for a 33-year old Taylor Hall in Free Agency.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hall is going on 28. He can sign a 5 year deal, and still be able to sign a retirement contract afterwards.
Someone would overpay for a 33-year old Taylor Hall in Free Agency.
Taylor Hall has played one full season in the NHL because of injuries even though this is his 10th season.

He’s going to want security.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

SoftMittsHardSticks

Jan 3, 2014
Does anyone think that a move for Jake Voracek could be on the cards? If the Flyers are still out of the playoff picture and try to get younger. I think he would be a damn good right winger for the top 6. Contract has 4 years left for 8.25 per

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think for the most part that the list of trades below suggests otherwise:
  • Burakovsky for 2nd + 3rd ............. At the time it felt like an overpay but Burakovsky has done well so far, certainly compared to Gusev who also cost a 2nd+3rd.
  • Brassard + 6th for 3rd................... Typical low-cost rental that helped in the playoffs. Recouped the 3rd in the Soderberg trade.
  • Grubauer + Orpik for 2nd............. I think we can all agree this was a great trade.
  • Wilson for 4th................................ Good value for a mid-round pick considering what Wilson has contributed, especially in 2 playoffs.
  • Gelinas for a 3rd............................ Yeah this one sucks
  • Matthias for 4th + Smith .............. Low-risk, low reward.
  • Soderberg (his rights) for a 6th..... Worked out well overall.
Obviously the jury is still out on the Burakovsky trade, but for the most part the trades are pretty solid with one or two exceptions.

One could also include larger trades involving picks like the Barrie/Kerfoot/6th for Kadri/Rosén/3rd where Sakic got good value for draft picks as well.

Bura = bad at the time of the trade
Brassard = meh
Grubs = good but it's the Orpik scheme that made the difference and that's why we got him
Wilson = meh...he was essentially a cap dump for Nashville and we paid for it
Gelinas = bad
Matthias = bad
Soda = OK but still meh (we signed him as an UFA)
Reto Bera (that you left out) = bad

So there you have it. There's not a single trade that Sakic made with picks that was was above "meh" if we exclude the Grubauer trade where we had to pay Orpik to play with the Caps.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Does anyone think that a move for Jake Voracek could be on the cards? If the Flyers are still out of the playoff picture and try to get younger. I think he would be a damn good right winger for the top 6. Contract has 4 years left for 8.25 per
If he’s available, get him

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
EJ is still being played as a #1/2D. The only guys that can replace his workhorse role are Timmins, who may still be a bit of an unknown if he spends the whole year in the minors, and Zadorov who may be traded because of expansion or his contract status.

I don't see them buying out or exposing EJ. You don't get rid of an all situations defenseman like that if you're trying to win the Cup in the next few years.

Reactions: Richard88

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's a very intriguing idea. I'm a little bit meh on Hall, don't get the obsession with him at all given the price in assets it would cost, but Voracek is a damn good, reliable scorer who should age reasonably well.

Reactions: AvsMakar08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad