Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion 5th Ed. | Pre-Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The only thing I thought was complete and utter bull**** was the whole tipping-at-the-restaurant nonsense.
Not tipping and asking restaurant owners $500 for a "positive tweet". Just f***ing awful. COnstantly putting pressure on Winnipeg to trade him because he couldn't market his personality in such a small city. He's probably the only NHLer I genuinely hate.

Going after Girard for no reason yesterday, could have hurt him bad.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I've maintained I have mixed feelings about Varlamov. It was uncomfortable rooting for the guy to be honest. Again, my opinion, I speak for no one else on this.

Dropping charges doesn't really mean a ton when it comes to prominent athletes and criminal court cases IMO. They dropped all charges against Patrick Kane, but I remain steadfast in believing that mother ****ing slimeball did it.

Oh and Evander has multiple allegations of sexual assault, has run himself outta town twice now, and has alienated more than a few teammates. Great hockey player (like the other Kane) but (like the other Kane) not so good at life. The only thing I thought was complete and utter bull**** was the whole tipping-at-the-restaurant nonsense.

Patrick Kanes was an isolated incident when the kid was what? 21 years old making millions of dollars. If you're going to continue to hold a grudge towards him for that one thing almost 10 years ago then yes, that is ridiculous. Especially considering it was never proven to be true.

Hoffman was never even charged with anything and in fact its pretty obvious by how quickly that hole story fell off the maps, that it wasn't true at all.

Lots of guys in the league are shitty teammates and lots of guys in the league do stupid shit when they're young as well. If it all got released to the public you'd have a hatred towards every player. Hell you'd have a hatred towards half the people in the world.

Like I said I get the Voynov dislike because that situation proved to be true and he was punished accordingly for it. Same with DeSmith.

But the rest of them are completely unjust to dislike for allegations that never proved to be true. Varly was completely acquitted of everything and you still felt "uncomfortable" with cheering for him? Jesus.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Patrick Kanes was an isolated incident when the kid was what? 21 years old making millions of dollars. If you're going to continue to hold a grudge towards him for that one thing almost 10 years ago then yes, that is ridiculous. Especially considering it was never proven to be true.

Hoffman was never even charged with anything and in fact its pretty obvious by how quickly that hole story fell off the maps, that it wasn't true at all.

Lots of guys in the league are ****ty teammates and lots of guys in the league do stupid **** when they're young as well. If it all got released to the public you'd have a hatred towards every player. Hell you'd have a hatred towards half the people in the world.

Like I said I get the Voynov dislike because that situation proved to be true and he was punished accordingly for it. Same with DeSmith.

But the rest of them are completely unjust to dislike for allegations that never proved to be true. Varly was completely acquitted of everything and you still felt "uncomfortable" with cheering for him? Jesus.

Oh boy...here we go again. :shakehead

I'll say it again since you obviously have not read my past posts on the subject but Patrick Kane's behavior is anything but an "isolated incident." He has a track record of reckless behavior, alcoholism, and violence toward both men and women. You're going out of your way to tunnel-vision the most prominent and damaging of the many misdeeds he's been accused and using some shaky evidence to dismiss it entirely. So you do your little act of mental gymnastics and call my stance "ridiculous," your opinion really doesn't matter.

BTW, I'd watch what you say about that "isolated incident" as there is someone on these forums with a personal connection to the survivor. And yes, I said survivor, not accuser.

And I'll repeat AGAIN that my opinion of Hoffman does not solely lie on the incident involving his fiancee--again, there is a well-established reputation he has with teammates that he is an overgrown man-child and unbearable to be around. I personally believe the accusations to be true, but again, that's my opinion and I can think what I want. Either way, that's his fiancee that did that, not him, but there's plenty of stories out there that paint Hoffman as a big jerk who's a disruption to his team. Honestly, in terms of character, he's far and away the best of all the guys on my little list. He's just an insufferable puke, not a rapist or domestic abuser or whatever the hell DeAngelo is. Still...I don't want that guy.

You're right, I'm sure if we exposed the raw underbelly of professional sports we'd be horrified as to what we saw. But to just dismiss the garbage and the garbage human beings we know to be awful based on your shaky-as-hell criteria is, as you seemingly like to say, ridiculous. The only thing I try to avoid is venerating players like I used to when I was a kid. They're human, and the most important thing about them is how good they are at the sport they play. I've stated on here many times that I really don't care much if a guy is a jerk, if he can play, great. But there are limits to that, which is why I have my little list. Either they have committed acts too heinous to ignore or are simply too insufferable to warrant a look.

A prime example: I've said before I think Ryan O'Reilly is a bit of a pretentious phony. I don't care for the guy much at all. And he indulged in some pretty moronic behavior that could've gotten someone killed. But I'd welcome the guy back in a heartbeat, I just wouldn't be rushing to Bill's Sports Collectibles to get his jersey.

Reactions: cgf and Barklez

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
So many ways I want to reply to this, but I prefer to not get banned...

Oh lets not pretend we don't all know its me risking the ban in saying things like that

Men never say dumb, generalized, sarcastic statements dismissive of women, haven't we all figured that out by now

Of course they do. Men do bad things. Women do bad things. It's a bad world, and sh!tty behaviour isn't isolated to either gender. Glad you're aware.

But this "BELIEVE WOMEN AND SHOUT IT OVER EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES" results in forming opinions with blinders on. For example, in your post immediately above, you're decrying guys like Mike Hoffman who are reputedly "overgrown man-children" or "unbearable to be around", which is as vague an opinion as a person can offer, while simultaneously saying you'd take Ryan O'Reilly back in a heartbeat even though he drove drunk into the side of a Tim Horton's. He could just as easily have killed someone - THAT is behaviour you're willing to let slide? I can't even process those kind of mental gymnastics.

I didn't mean this post to be accusational or finger pointing, but since you're willing to share your rather bizarrely rationalized opinions, there are mine.

We're very quick in this modern era to label something as "gross" or "cancelled" because it offends our sensibilities in a way we can't articulate and couldn't be bothered to give rational thought to, and then shut down all conversation around it. If you hold an opinion that you're unwilling to change, then that opinion holds absolutely no value to me.

As for your "little list" - I think you worded that perfectly. Sorry if that "hurts your feelies".

Reactions: avsfan09

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well I'm just gonna stop now because this is a little ridiculous.

It's a bit funny to read someone be so strongly judgmental towards every mistake any person makes... Must be a real saint with no mistakes in your life ever before.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So is there a trade proposal where Sakic give up men and trade for women? If so, the other team better add a 7th round pick.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

It's a bit funny to read someone be so strongly judgmental towards every mistake any person makes... Must be a real saint with no mistakes in your life ever before.

That's fine, you keep building your little straw men over there, I'm not interested.

The fact that you're trying to paint me with a sanctimonious brush when I listed a whopping SIX GUYS that I don't want on my favorite team says more about you than it does me. I love that you're pulling the ripcord before you even try to defend your stances.

Reactions: cgf

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd take Coleman in an instant but with every passing game there's no way the Devils trade him

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is me speculating, but if Sharks decide to go for a rebuild I would throw the farm at Tomas Hertl. To me, he would be someone that should be considered greater than Hall and a perfect fit for what Sakic is trying to build here.

He's making 5.625 million for the next two seasons (not including this one), would probably demand a similar return that Kadri got.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd be all in on Hertl as well, I just dont know why they'd make him available. I highly doubt they throw in the towel and commit to a full rebuild. Not with EK, Burns, and Vlasic being in the early 30s and making so much money on the back end.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree with you regarding the optics but I don't necessarily agree with your second paragraph. I'm sure Sakic did his homework with the core and found out the they were still onboard with Bednar. IMO he knew he had enough leadership in the main guys (Landy, Mack, EJ, etc) to bring along the rest of the roster back on track. Was it a gamble? Yeah sure it was but IMO it was a very well calculated gamble. A GM doesn't stick with a coach that just had one of the worst season in history without knowing exactly where the rest of the team stands on the coach. I suspect Sakic asked them to fully buy in until Dec of that year and by then they would re-evaluate and make the appropriate changes if need be.
@AllAboutAvs

I'm sure that he did, but even if the guys went to bat for him those seeds could still have been planted...I've seen it happen way too many times with the Knicks; a good coach is given a bunch of garbage vets that just wanna cash fat checks, who rub off on the kids with a future more than it seems. Not really manifesting until long after the vets are gone; when those kids start to get frustrated have those vets' doubts come rushing back.

Now the trust he's earned over the following two seasons helped bury those seeds even deeper, but that doesn't mean they can't spring back to life and barring the historic turn around we did experience; Bednar could've really struggled to earn that trust...especially before he made the changes that he has to his process.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
E. Kane has had his own off ice issues but so have few ex Avs players. Roy, Varly had theirs. If Avs get Kane and he helps them win a cup, no one will care about his off ice stuff

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Evander Kane is the biggest POS in the NHL.

I dunno if he's even in the top 10; despite being a woman-beating POS...
E. Kane has had his own off ice issues but so have few ex Avs players. Roy, Varly had theirs. If Avs get Kane and he helps them win a cup, no one will care about his off ice stuff

Speak for yourself. Having our cup tainted by a known scumbag would really suck.

Especially when it's not like we're doomed if we don't pay up for him.
Avs used to have a player like Kane, his name was Calude Lemieux with only one big difference where Lemieux was a much better playoff performer, otherwise he was hated throughout the league and wasnt really that friendly with his own teammates

How many DV cases did Claude have to settle out of court?
Really? Aside from Voynov and maybe Evander that's just ridiculous.

...Evander isn't even the scummiest Kane in the NHL right now...
Did you feel the same way about Varlamov even after all the charges were dropped?

I didnt know about the DeSmith situation so I'll concede that one.

TBH I did feel uncomfortable about the way we as a fanbase went after Varly's fiance(?) when that happened to defend Semyon; even though that one did sound an awful lot like it was just a greencard thing.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Oh well, whatever someone you say or think, I'd gladly take both P.Kane and E.Kane on the Avs. A lot of players have had off ice issues and it's not like every player to have ever played for the Avs has been an angel

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Patrick Kane's was an isolated incident when the kid was what? 21 years old making millions of dollars. If you're going to continue to hold a grudge towards him for that one thing almost 10 years ago then yes, that is ridiculous. Especially considering it was never proven to be true.

Lots of guys in the league are ****ty teammates and lots of guys in the league do stupid **** when they're young as well. If it all got released to the public you'd have a hatred towards every player. Hell you'd have a hatred towards half the people in the world.

Are you drunk?

Strawman'ing people wanting folks to own their mistakes & not hide from the consequences of their actions, like this, must be a really convenient way to justify being a POS.
Oh well, whatever someone you say or think, I'd gladly take both P.Kane and E.Kane on the Avs. A lot of players have had off ice issues and it's not like every player to have ever played for the Avs has been an angel

Which is why one would hope that they'd try to do a better job of not enabling POSs moving forward.

Just because you made bad decisions in the past, is no reason to continue making them moving forward.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Which is why one would hope that they'd try to do a better job of not enabling POSs moving forward.

So you wouldn't take Matthews on the Avs just because he had that off ice incident not long ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad