Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Texas Stars Thread

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I was just thinking about where to post that. Texas' is getting pretty deep at forward next year.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not going to have all that many career AHL-ers in the Texas lineup next season. Dowling and Hanley will be the veterans on Texas . I think Morin is going to retire. He was signed to a one year deal and had a pretty rough season . I think this was his last season . Probably going to join the staff or something.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dallas Stars Contracts
Nick Caamano
Tony Calderone
Justin Dowling*
Joel L'Esperance
Tye Felhaber
Rhett Gardner
Denis Gurianov
Adam Mascherin
Josh Melnick
Michael Mersch*
Jason Robertson
Riley Tufte

Joseph Cecconi
Ben Gleason
Joel Hanley
John Nyberg
Ondrej Vala

Jake Oettinger
Colton Point

Texas Stars Contracts
Parker Mackay

Dallas Stars / Free Agents
Erik Condra (UFA)*

Gavin Bayreuther (RFA)*
Niklas Hansson (RFA)*
Dillon Heatherington (RFA)*
Chris Martenet (RFA)*
Reece Scarlett (UFA/Group 6)*

Landon Bow (RFA)
Philippe Desrosiers (RFA)*

Texas Stars / Free Agents
Diego Cuglietta (Signed ATO through 18/19)
Colton Hargrove (Signed PTO through 18/19)
Samuel Laberge (Signed PTO through 18/19)
Colin Markison (Signed PTO through 18/19)
Brad McClure (Signed PTO through 18/19)
Travis Morin (Signed PTO through 18/19)
Spencer Naas (Signed PTO through 18/19)
Robbie Payne (Signed PTO through 18/19)
Elgin Pearce (Signed PTO through 18/19)
James Phelan (Signed PTO through 18/19)

Shane Hanna (Signed PTO through 18/19)
Brady Norrish (Signed PTO through 18/19)

Potential Prospects
Brett Davis (It's unlikely. Probably would have already been signed. FA on 6/1)
Liam Hawel (FA on 6/1; Junior team still in playoffs)
Jermaine Loewen

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
They have a ton of forwards without signing any AHL players, and it's at least reasonable to assume they could try and bring back McClure for sure and Hargrove and Markison made cases late in the season as well. That's without confirmation that Morin will retire, and if he doesn't, virtually no chance he doesn't get a contract with Texas.

Not saying it's a bad thing. Just pointing out there's a good chance this is your forward group next year depending on what happens with Dowling (kind of have to include him considering he's playing right now), Gurianov, and L'Esperance.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The defense isn't anything to write home about yet, especially when you consider they probably won't test Bayreuther on waivers, but that's a fun forward group.

Mersch-L'Esperance-Gurianov
Robertson-Dowling-Caamano
Mascherin-McClure-Felhaber
Tufte-Gardner-Melnick
Calderone

McClure isn't really a center, but he played some. If you did get a legitimate FA center, you'd have three stacked lines and a really good 4th line of Tufte-Gardner-McClure potentially.

Without looking up the exact games played of everyone, I think only Mersch, Dowling, Hanley, and Heatherington count as veterans. If Morin hopefully does retire, spending some money on someone to fill out the center depth, especially considering one or both of Dowling and L'Esperance could get NHL time next year (ideally they'd only be call ups hopefully). If Gurianov or any other winger is a call up, you have plenty of depth for that to not be a big issue.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He may be. He's just not a lock, and he doesn't require waivers. Nill is quick to put those guys back in the AHL rather than waive someone else. He was better about that this year with Elie and Smith, but in the past, he's not been as willing. If Nill doesn't qualify Ritchie, and Nichushkin gets bought out, I'd say Gurianov would have a much better shot. Those two things also don't seem like locks with Nill.

I just decided to be conservative and include him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think thats probably more on the coaching staff than we realize i feel. Elie seemed seriously pissed at Monty in the goodbye video when he was claimed by the Sabres.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think thats probably more on the coaching staff than we realize i feel. Elie seemed seriously pissed at Monty in the goodbye video when he was claimed by the Sabres.

Could you refresh me? I don't remember a video. That sounds interesting ... the team interviewed him after he got picked up on waivers?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Could you refresh me? I don't remember a video. That sounds interesting ... the team interviewed him after he got picked up on waivers?

Look at how Elie's mood changed when it was time to say goodbye to Monty.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
IDK ... I think you're searching for something. He was friends with those guys and played with many of them in Texas and Dallas the last few years. He'd been with Monty a few weeks. That reaction doesn't seem strange to me or filled with animosity. Getting waived means the coach and front office didn't think you were good enough to make the team. I'm sure he wasn't exactly feeling good about that or pleased with the decision exactly.

I misunderstood and thought you meant something was said. That video though doesn't seem like anything strange.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think that makes sense. I don't think too many GM's make roster decisions without the coaches approval unless the team is selling off. I don't think it's smart to aquire or trade players without some input from the guy you need to manage the players on what he likes or doesn't like.

Maybe i read too much into it. I still think the coaching staff has a decent amount input into some of those decisions.

For example i am extremely certain Hitchcock pushed for the Hanzal signing.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Texas is looking really good at forward for next season. Oettinger should be solid in net as well. Besides Hanley, Cecconi, and Gleason our backend is weak. Wonder if we sign a vet or two

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Heatherington is a very good AHL defender, and Nyberg will be in his 2nd year in NA. I think that could be a really good 3rd pair. I'd love to see them sign a top AHL free agent like Ethan Prow to round out the Top 4. A center like T.J. Tynan would be pretty nice too. Tynan was one of the best set up men in the AHL last year. A guy like that could really help the young goal scorers.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’d like to bring Heatherington back, but I’m wondering if he doesn’t request to go elsewhere where he has a better shot at getting to the NHL.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He's a RFA. He doesn't have a ton of choice in the matter, and he's not exactly a top prospect. I think he's only 1 year away from Group 6 UFA so it's in his best interest just to stick it out. I think he's also arbitration eligible IIRC.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm fairly certain Heatherington will be re-signed to a one year deal. He'll likely be given a shot at the NHL , again , and mostly likely be waived and if not picked up play for Texas. What happens he's UFA who knows. Current Coaching staff really didn't have any trust in him when he was up so he probably isn't too happy about his current status but who knows maybe he gets better in the summer.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Heatherington shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL roster. He's just not good.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Heatherington shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL roster. He's just not good.

Sure but he'll be in training camp and get a shot just like everybody else under contract with Dallas . He might magically improve drastically over the summer . Unlikely but he might and in the very likely case he doesn't he'll be waived and play in the AHL for another year.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
So add Mackay to the Traverse roster as well. Going to be an offensively dynamic team.. defensively not much there. Cecconi will miss it because of his injury.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I predict this year's 2nd round pick will be the stand out performer at Traverse City.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad