2019-2020 Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Hi my name is DashingDane and I'm a tanker...

I was positive for about 4.5 seasons before I relapsed and found myself back in the tank thread. It was entirely my own fault for getting my hopes up but ever since I started looking at advance stats I've felt like I am in a black hole where I can't escape. Plenty of posters have tried to pull me out to no avail. The moment I start to see the light Paul decides to make a braindead roster move and I fall right back down. I want to thank posters in this thread for making me feel better about myself and my negative thoughts. Together we can overcome this horrible mismanagement of the team and hopefully one day find us self posting in the positivity thread.

Thank you for listening.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It isn't a Byfield crush. It is just that I see all the experts getting carried away with the Lafreniere love, while totally ignoring 3 very important factors. Compare the 2 at the same age and make allowance for the difference between the Q and the OHL. Either Byfield comes out ahead by a slight margin, or it is too close to call. Then consider that Byfield is a C and Laf is a LW and it isn't even close anymore.

If we won 1st OA and I had the choice, I would take Byfield in the proverbial heartbeat. I know I am almost alone in that opinion. So rather than debate it, I prefer to win 2 OA and take the leavings. :D

Don't worry about the who is better fight. Leafs aren't likely getting 1 OA this year.
AL was in MacKinnon territory last year and he's ahead of Ehlers, Huberdeau, Couturier, Beuvillier, etc. as a u19.

QB is a shade below Thornton, Tavares, Marner and ahead of D Strome, Stamkos, Seguin, Svechnikov, Bennett, etc.

Cole Perfetti has been in that range for a couple years now too. Needs to work on his skating, but I'm curious to see where he gets drafted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201_071610_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201_071610_com.android.chrome.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20200201_071402_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201_071402_com.android.chrome.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Me neither. In fact, in the past I've mostly lived in the Positivity Thread. But needs must when the devil drives, and so here we are, tanking merrily away, and hoping for PoMo and his crew to coach onwards and downwards, and for the lottery gods to smile upon us once again. Quittin' for Quinton! Hapless for Laffie! TJT!

Never heard that one before, but that is a fabulous expression. :thumbu:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It isn't a Byfield crush. It is just that I see all the experts getting carried away with the Lafreniere love, while totally ignoring 3 very important factors. Compare the 2 at the same age and make allowance for the difference between the Q and the OHL. Either Byfield comes out ahead by a slight margin, or it is too close to call. Then consider that Byfield is a C and Laf is a LW and it isn't even close anymore.

If we won 1st OA and I had the choice, I would take Byfield in the proverbial heartbeat. I know I am almost alone in that opinion. So rather than debate it, I prefer to win 2 OA and take the leavings. :D

Don't worry about the who is better fight. Leafs aren't likely getting 1 OA this year.

While I do agree that their overall skill level at similar ages is fairly close I'd still give a slight edge to Lafreniere in terms of overall skillset and play. Byfield just makes me drool because of the size and skill combo plus he plays center.

Though production should be taken with a grain of salt in the OHL this year. Guys are scoring at ridiculous paces. Connor McMicheal and Nick Robertson are both scoring over a goal per game and guys like Perfetti, Rossi and Tomasino are scoring at pretty insane paces. Goaltending is probably the worst it's ever been in the OHL in my lifetime and that's saying something because typically the OHL is pretty garbage for goalies. I wouldn't be spurprised if this is one of the highest scoring seasons in the O in over a decade. Multiple guys are on pace to eclipse the McDavid, Marner, DeBrincat, Strome years and most of them won't sniff their production in the NHL.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
AL was in MacKinnon territory last year and he's ahead of Ehlers, Huberdeau, Couturier, Beuvillier, etc. as a u19.

QB is a shade below Thornton, Tavares, Marner and ahead of D Strome, Stamkos, Seguin, Svechnikov, Bennett, etc.

Cole Perfetti has been in that range for a couple years now too. Needs to work on his skating, but I'm curious to see where he gets drafted.

I said it above and I don't think it's being said enough. Everyone should be taking OHL production with a grain of salt this year. It's liek one of the worst years for goalies in the OHL in a long time and really for overall talent. The last few years the OHL has been well below average and once the McDavid, Marner, Strome, DeBrincat group aged out the next wave of guys were not very good. Overall depth in the OHL is well below it's average and overall goaltending in the O is at an all time low. Multiple guys are set to eclipse the aforementioned guys years. There's a couple guys scoring over a goal a game. There should be a huge asterisk next to anyone who mentions the scoring paces of some of the OHL prospects this year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets will be in last place in the Central next week at this time, write it in pen!

Good to see you back posting Sip after your break. I am not a huge fan of a negative leaning narrative but your charm is unique and the place isn’t the same without you.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is all kind of a double edged sword. Getting a top prospect is always a blast and It feeds into the narrative of hope in the future. I like studying the kids and landing on my favorites then watching the draft and crossing my fingers.

With that being said it also means the Jets are sucking and that is never fun for me. I have watched much less Jets hockey this season just for sanity sake. Our skaters are in the bottom 5 teams in the NHL this season and that is pretty tough to watch. What makes it more palatable for me is I see a possible path back from the wilderness as soon as next season but for now I will make the best of the bad situation and study prospects. I don’t cheer for us to lose ever but if we’re going to have a down year so be it. Let’s capitalize by adding a top asset or two.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I said it above and I don't think it's being said enough. Everyone should be taking OHL production with a grain of salt this year. It's liek one of the worst years for goalies in the OHL in a long time and really for overall talent. The last few years the OHL has been well below average and once the McDavid, Marner, Strome, DeBrincat group aged out the next wave of guys were not very good. Overall depth in the OHL is well below it's average and overall goaltending in the O is at an all time low. Multiple guys are set to eclipse the aforementioned guys years. There's a couple guys scoring over a goal a game. There should be a huge asterisk next to anyone who mentions the scoring paces of some of the OHL prospects this year.
There are always waves of talent. I still value a guy who is head and shoulders above his peers and doing it without much support from his teammates.

There are only 3 guys who are really pushing the high level counting stats - Byfield, Perfetti and Perreault. That's worth something.

I especially like that Perfetti has led his team in scoring back to back, and he's got a 24 point (same as Byfield) buffer over his nearest teammate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200201_071610_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201_071610_com.android.chrome.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20200201_071402_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200201_071402_com.android.chrome.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There are always waves of talent. I still value a guy who is head and shoulders above his peers and doing it without much support from his teammates.

There are only 3 guys who are really pushing the high level counting stats - Byfield, Perfetti and Perreault. That's worth something.

I especially like that Perfetti has led his team in scoring back to back, and he's got a 24 point (same as Byfield) buffer over his nearest teammate.

Thats the thing their peers really aren't all that great. There is no one to really push the envelope in the OHL right now and that is obvious when you have draft eligible destroying the league. The paces are insane.

Rossi - 149 point pace
Byfield - 129 point pace
Perfetti - 126 point pace
Quinn - 95 point pace
Foerster - 91 point pace
Perreault - 87 point pace

When was the last time 3 or 4 draft eligibles had over 100 point paces? 14/15 when 3 of them were on the same team.

Strome - 129 points
Marner - 126 points
McDavid - 120 points
DeBrincat - 104 points

I can't see Rossi, Byfield or Perfetti being anywhere near as good as McDavid or Marner currently are. You never know but that draft was stacked and the talent level in the OHL was massive at that time.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Unfortunately we might have to give a pick for someone to take Wheeler
Wheeler is still a legitimate star with lots in the tank. And hes a horse! Dude is never injured. If I had a contending team I would pay up huge for a difference maker like Wheeler. Actually I would love to see him get a shot with a contender. The guy deserves it.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wheeler is still a legitimate star with lots in the tank. And hes a horse! Dude is never injured. If I had a contending team I would pay up huge for a difference maker like Wheeler. Actually I would love to see him get a shot with a contender. The guy deserves it.

We were a contender two years ago and still choked out to an expansion team.

On a legit good team he would sit on the 2nd or 3rd line and would never be a captain.
When the pressure is on and we take a beating he is nowhere to be seen.

I am totally cool with moving Wheels.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We were a contender two years ago and still choked out to an expansion team.

On a legit good team he would sit on the 2nd or 3rd line and would never be a captain.
When the pressure is on and we take a beating he is nowhere to be seen.

I am totally cool with moving Wheels.

We were a contender because we actually had a good 2C. This team is a contender when Bryan Little and Blake Wheeler aren't playing 2C. And when you have Buff, Myers, Chiarot and Trouba in your Dcore. For all the warts some of those guys had it's painfully obvious we didn't have viable replacements for pretty much any of them. Pionk would have been awesome to have in place of Myers though.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We were a contender because we actually had a good 2C. This team is a contender when Bryan Little and Blake Wheeler aren't playing 2C. And when you have Buff, Myers, Chiarot and Trouba in your Dcore. For all the warts some of those guys had it's painfully obvious we didn't have viable replacements for pretty much any of them. Pionk would have been awesome to have in place of Myers though.

We have lost too many good players that our team has fallen apart in 2 years.
All we have now is two good top lines and a goalie.
We have not replaced any of the players we have lost.

That is on Chevy

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We have lost too many good players that our team has fallen apart in 2 years.
All we have now is two good top lines and a goalie.

That is on Chevy

True but I don't think anyone else could have navigated it any better. And in some cases they could have navigated it much worse.

In hindsight yea there was some different things we could have done, but in the moment not much people were advocating for anything better.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
True but I don't think anyone else could have navigated it any better. And in some cases they could have navigated it much worse.

In hindsight yea there was some different things we could have done, but in the moment not much people were advocating for anything better.

The way we are playing right now is not even close to what we did 2 years ago.
We are soft as butter now and panic under pressure against a strong forecheck and our coach still can't handle a trapping team.

Our window closed so quick it is ridiculous.
Watching this team die a slow death because of our mediocre coach and gm not attempting to fix the problem is disgusting.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The way we are playing right now is not even close to what we did 2 years ago.
We are soft as butter now and panic under pressure against a strong forecheck and our coach still can't handle a trapping team.

Our window closed so quick it is ridiculous.
Watching this team die a slow death because of our mediocre coach and gm not attempting to fix the problem is disgusting.

The window isn't closed its just not all the way open. People thought Boston was done as well, until they weren't. We just have to draft well and stay the course. Make a coaching change in the summer and see what happens as we inject more youth.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The window isn't closed its just not all the way open. People thought Boston was done as well, until they weren't. We just have to draft well and stay the course. Make a coaching change in the summer and see what happens as we inject more youth.

I pray to the hockey gods that we can get a new coach soon and fix this mess.

We are spinning our wheels in the mud with Maurice and it is beyond frustrating to watch..

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I pray to the hockey gods that we can get a new coach soon and fix this mess.

We are spinning our wheels in the mud with Maurice and it is beyond frustrating to watch..

A new coach will breath new life into the room. But on the flip side the players seem to love Maurice and sometimes it sends more of a message to them. Play well or we will can a coach you love.

Reactions: DashingDane

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
With the current (and ongoing) losing streak there is a real possibility the jets will fall below the likes of Montreal, Minnesota, Buffalo and into the bottom 5 teams in the league. Hard to believe somebody doesn't lose their job over this.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
A new coach will breath new life into the room. But on the flip side the players seem to love Maurice and sometimes it sends more of a message to them. Play well or we will can a coach you love.

Absolutely.
We gave Maurice a fair shot after 6 seasons and it is time to part ways.
The team needs a shake up with a fresh mind and different system being put in place.

I don't want to see all of our competitive years being flushed down the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad