Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Absolutely.
We gave Maurice a fair shot after 6 seasons and it is time to part ways.
The team needs a shake up with a fresh mind and different system being put in place.

I don't want to see all of our competitive years being flushed down the toilet.

Would be nice to get into that top 3 portion of the draft though. Game changer for us to get either of Byfield or Stutzle. Hell realistically if we get Lafreniere I would not hesitate for a second and maybe even look at moving one of Laine/Connor/Ehlers for a dman if possible.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I was at the Boston game in good seats. Always so much different watching the game live vs on TV. You can watch whatever you want to focus on. The game was good. It was exciting. It was close and had good emotion.

The thing that really stood out to me, and is really supporting the tank - is that the only thing less effective than the PP was Roslovic. The guy is just a disaster. He was absolute garbage the whole game. No clue why people seem to continue to so high on him. He is our current version of Dano or Petan - seems to ooze potential, but will be total busts. To support the tank, DON'T trade Roslovic. He plays with no emotion or sense of urgency. Every time I found myself muttering "what was that piss poor effort" - it was #28.

Enjoyed the game, but I am done with Rosie. Keep him to support the tank. Would be fine I guess to trade him to build up assets. OR - hang onto him and expose to Seattle next year. Something. The guy is not what we thought he would be. Along with PP, he was my main huge disappointment (along with no call on the hit on Frenchie - it was right in front of us and looked like a head shot). Haven't seen the replays yet though.

Oh well, promote Roslovic to the first line for tonight's game.....embrace the tank!

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
I am blown-away disappointed in this team. The fact that two years after being a serious contender, that we are now an also-ran and talking about tanking makes me sick. I am at the point where I no longer watch the games. Can’t take under achievers, which is what we turned into last year. Simply unbelievable watching all the promise of two years ago turn into this s***-show.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
The window isn't closed its just not all the way open. People thought Boston was done as well, until they weren't. We just have to draft well and stay the course. Make a coaching change in the summer and see what happens as we inject more youth.
The window is closed. Without a doubt. We might be able to find another window though. With a change of scenery

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
AL was in MacKinnon territory last year and he's ahead of Ehlers, Huberdeau, Couturier, Beuvillier, etc. as a u19.

QB is a shade below Thornton, Tavares, Marner and ahead of D Strome, Stamkos, Seguin, Svechnikov, Bennett, etc.

Cole Perfetti has been in that range for a couple years now too. Needs to work on his skating, but I'm curious to see where he gets drafted.

I'm not sure I can follow your point from those charts. My point is very straightforward. It doesn't require charts comparing everyone to everyone. Byfield is almost a full year younger than Lafreniere. If Laf was just 27 days older, he would have gone in this year's draft. So Lafreniere last year can be compared to Byfield this year.

GamesGoalsAssistsPointsppgNHLE/82
Byfield 2019-2020OHL383141721.8950
WJC7011
Lafreniere 2018-2019QMJHL6137681051.7240
WJC5101
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Then consider that Byfield is a C and Lafreniere is a LW. There is no denying that Laf is tremendously skilled. He almost certainly has a great NHL career ahead of him. But I would have no problem taking Byfield 1st OA.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
While I do agree that their overall skill level at similar ages is fairly close I'd still give a slight edge to Lafreniere in terms of overall skillset and play. Byfield just makes me drool because of the size and skill combo plus he plays center.

Though production should be taken with a grain of salt in the OHL this year. Guys are scoring at ridiculous paces. Connor McMicheal and Nick Robertson are both scoring over a goal per game and guys like Perfetti, Rossi and Tomasino are scoring at pretty insane paces. Goaltending is probably the worst it's ever been in the OHL in my lifetime and that's saying something because typically the OHL is pretty garbage for goalies. I wouldn't be spurprised if this is one of the highest scoring seasons in the O in over a decade. Multiple guys are on pace to eclipse the McDavid, Marner, DeBrincat, Strome years and most of them won't sniff their production in the NHL.

OK, but Byfield was also very strong last year as a 16 year old. Laf was very strong in his 16 YO season too, which was a year earlier again. I think the talent/skill equation comes out as too close to call, trying to make the comps as fair as possible. The difference, for me is all in the fact of Byfield being a C. Combine that with our need at the position and it is a no brainer.

Instinctively, I am attracted to Byfields size also, but I know that shouldn't really count. It is part of what makes him as good as he is so is already accounted for. But I can't help liking the idea of having that size in the middle.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
OK, but Byfield was also very strong last year as a 16 year old. Laf was very strong in his 16 YO season too, which was a year earlier again. I think the talent/skill equation comes out as too close to call, trying to make the comps as fair as possible. The difference, for me is all in the fact of Byfield being a C. Combine that with our need at the position and it is a no brainer.

Instinctively, I am attracted to Byfields size also, but I know that shouldn't really count. It is part of what makes him as good as he is so is already accounted for. But I can't help liking the idea of having that size in the middle.

I'm more going with my eyes than production and I think others should to. Take a gander at a Lafreniere game last year and take a gander at a Byfield game this year. There is some serious deviation in skillsets. Not saying Byfield can't eclipse that.

Don't get me wrong I'd ecstatic with Byfield. Especially because of his size but I do think that Lafreniere is the better player. Production might not point to it, but just watching them you can see a clear gap in their abilities. There are some big holes in Byfields game and he seem to have compete issues at least from what I can tell. But when he turns it on, he really turns it on. Lafreniere is the type of winger that can really drive a line though, which is rare for a winger.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Wheeler is still a legitimate star with lots in the tank. And hes a horse! Dude is never injured. If I had a contending team I would pay up huge for a difference maker like Wheeler. Actually I would love to see him get a shot with a contender. The guy deserves it.

Well if we could get a first round pick for someone at his age making over 8 mill a year with 4 years left I'd jump at it. I'd actually take a 7th rounder to get rid of the contract

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm more going with my eyes than production and I think others should to. Take a gander at a Lafreniere game last year and take a gander at a Byfield game this year. There is some serious deviation in skillsets. Not saying Byfield can't eclipse that.

Don't get me wrong I'd ecstatic with Byfield. Especially because of his size but I do think that Lafreniere is the better player. Production might not point to it, but just watching them you can see a clear gap in their abilities. There are some big holes in Byfields game and he seem to have compete issues at least from what I can tell. But when he turns it on, he really turns it on. Lafreniere is the type of winger that can really drive a line though, which is rare for a winger.

Fair enough. I'm going just by the stats and a few comments on websites.

In a fantasy world where we win 1st in the lottery, I could tak Laf and trade Connor for a good 2C. We only need so many top line LW.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Fair enough. I'm going just by the stats and a few comments on websites.

In a fantasy world where we win 1st in the lottery, I could tak Laf and trade Connor for a good 2C. We only need so many top line LW.

I'd probably prefer to move Laine. Though Connor might have more value right now. Ehler and Connor are locked up long term. Laine isn't. Tough to say.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I was at the Boston game in good seats. Always so much different watching the game live vs on TV. You can watch whatever you want to focus on. The game was good. It was exciting. It was close and had good emotion.

The thing that really stood out to me, and is really supporting the tank - is that the only thing less effective than the PP was Roslovic. The guy is just a disaster. He was absolute garbage the whole game. No clue why people seem to continue to so high on him. He is our current version of Dano or Petan - seems to ooze potential, but will be total busts. To support the tank, DON'T trade Roslovic. He plays with no emotion or sense of urgency. Every time I found myself muttering "what was that piss poor effort" - it was #28.

Enjoyed the game, but I am done with Rosie. Keep him to support the tank. Would be fine I guess to trade him to build up assets. OR - hang onto him and expose to Seattle next year. Something. The guy is not what we thought he would be. Along with PP, he was my main huge disappointment (along with no call on the hit on Frenchie - it was right in front of us and looked like a head shot). Haven't seen the replays yet though.

Oh well, promote Roslovic to the first line for tonight's game.....embrace the tank!

Roslovic is basically doing nothing for the Jets and is overrated.

I would more than happy to move him for a defenseman but we have waited so long to move him that his value is low now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not sure I can follow your point from those charts. My point is very straightforward. It doesn't require charts comparing everyone to everyone. Byfield is almost a full year younger than Lafreniere. If Laf was just 27 days older, he would have gone in this year's draft. So Lafreniere last year can be compared to Byfield this year.
GamesGoalsAssistsPointsppgNHLE/82
Byfield 2019-2020OHL383141721.8950
WJC7011
Lafreniere 2018-2019QMJHL6137681051.7240
WJC5101
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Then consider that Byfield is a C and Lafreniere is a LW. There is no denying that Laf is tremendously skilled. He almost certainly has a great NHL career ahead of him. But I would have no problem taking Byfield 1st OA.
The more I read up on the potential players in the upcoming draft the bigger the gap IMO between Lafreniere and Byfield. It seems to me Lafreniere is as close a consensus #1 as you will find short of a McDavid. I've even seen a couple of opinion pieces that have speculated that Lafreniere might be given time to develop as a center in the NHL since he plays so well up the middle of the ice, and that Byfield might end up on the wing in the NHL. Again IMO if we were so lucky to win the draft lottery you take BPA and don't look back.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It is a huge mistake moving Laine, Connor or Ehlers.

Build the team around these players and Scheifele.

I'm just prefacing that on getting Lafreniere if it were to happen. Whose likely going to be better than all of them. You could easily move one for a top 6 C or a top 4 D to improve a hole elsewhere.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The window isn't closed its just not all the way open. People thought Boston was done as well, until they weren't. We just have to draft well and stay the course. Make a coaching change in the summer and see what happens as we inject more youth.
There were a lot more teams than Boston in the last decade were in the height of a contending window dropped down for a season or 2 and sprang back up. Seems to be lost on many is the so called contention window slammed shut once we start having to pay all our young stars their "big boy' contracts following their ELC's. It is easy to horde strong depth when you paying half your top 6 on ELCs and your top pairing on ELCs or cheap bridge deals. But like other teams we will need to step back and reload with a few more entry level deals for difference makers through the draft to support our young core which is mostly locked up long term.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm just prefacing that on getting Lafreniere if it were to happen. Whose likely going to be better than all of them. You could easily move one for a top 6 C or a top 4 D to improve a hole elsewhere.

We got lucky by getting the gift draft pick to get Laine.
Lightning won't strike twice.

We are not the Coilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad