2019-2020 Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Why are we spending $1.5 on a goalie? That seems like quite a reach. I think you’ll be surprised at where we’ll be saving money. The concern isn’t with guys that are RFAs but “vets”. That’s what we should be concerned about.

What do you propose happens for next year? I would love to hear it.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Our roster also won’t be as thin as you think. The defense can’t get worse unless Mo or Pionk go down for good and Samberg will likely be up and that’s an immediate improvement to our current bottom pair. Little will likely be back soon too to add depth to our middle six and could potentially skid Lowry down(we can hope at least). There’s also potential for guys like Harkins or Ves making the roster as well. Lot of different scenarios that aren’t all doom and gloom like you say.

The biggest thing is the Buff situation being sorted out. Either way that’s likely to be a second pairing D added at some point.

Reactions: Jets 31 and JetsUK

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Our roster also won’t be as thin as you think. The defense can’t get worse unless Mo or Pionk go down for good and Samberg will likely be up and that’s an immediate improvement to our current bottom pair. Little will likely be back soon too to add depth to our middle six and could potentially skid Lowry down(we can hope at least). There’s also potential for guys like Harkins or Ves making the roster as well. Lot of different scenarios that aren’t all doom and gloom like you say.

The biggest thing is the Buff situation being sorted out. Either way that’s likely to be a second pairing D added at some point.

Lots of ifs and maybes in your post.

Adding rookies doesnt mean we will get better. Having little back might push wheeler back to the wing and not even effect lowrys spot.

I am disappointed in your post. I respect your opinion alot and was hoping for a well thought out plan to get better with facts behind them.

You have demanded that of me a couple times in the past. I'm not demanding but I would appreciate it.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Lots of ifs and maybes in your post.

Adding rookies doesnt mean we will get better. Having little back might push wheeler back to the wing and not even effect lowrys spot.

I am disappointed in your post. I respect your opinion alot and was hoping for a well thought out plan to get better with facts behind them.

You have demanded that of me a couple times in the past. I'm not demanding but I would appreciate it.

You should look in the mirror. Negative scenarios have “ifs” too. It’s likely going to be a combination of positives and negatives.

I’m not exactly inclined to take the time to type out an in depth and well thought out post when I know what it would be met with regardless of whether I’m right or wrong. The general tone on this board has swung very much one way within the last year and it can be hard to go through all the noise to find the substance since lately people just want to rant. But my general thoughts can pretty much be summed up through a couple of posters who have taken the time to give their in depth thoughts. Unfortunately some of them have been run off.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Yes I have done the math and with both those players making 1.5 a year and with 1.5 on a goalie and a cap raise of 2 mil we are around a million left with buff playing

We have to remember dahlstrom is here next year and we need a back up goalie as well.

This roster will be thinned even more next year when buff returns.

And the year after that perraults cap goes to laine.

Then we have 3 years until sheifs contract is up and his cap doubles and takes 75 percent of wheelers cap

We have another very short window coming up

With a $1.5M cap increase we could ice the following:

upload_2020-1-28_14-59-48.png

I fully expect Gus and Vesa in the minors as injury replacements so those 2 spots will be glue guys making the league minimum and also for us to carry a 22 person roster as much as possible. I can't see Roslovic making more than Copp so I gave him $2M. Harkins and Apples both haven't shown enough to get more than league minimum but I gave them each another couple hundred thousand just to be safe. Is Niku going to be worth $2M? Probably not but I gave it to him anyhow.

All this shows we aren't having anyone of substance squeezed out of the lineup other than LB, who has not put up great numbers this year, but if the cap goes up by more than the $1.5M I did here, and/or we squeeze apples and Harkins to league minimum contracts, carry a 22 man roster where we can we could afford to bring him back at around $1.5M or turn it over to Comrie and save some cash.

If Buff is off the books than a UFA like Hamonic could make sense. If Buff is back next year, great! We don't really have any cap issues that are forcing anyone out because Roslovic didn't blow up this year with top 6 minutes and Niku hasn't earned a big payday either.

Reactions: JetsUK

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
With a $1.5M cap increase we could ice the following:

View attachment 313329

I fully expect Gus and Vesa in the minors as injury replacements so those 2 spots will be glue guys making the league minimum and also for us to carry a 22 person roster as much as possible. I can't see Roslovic making more than Copp so I gave him $2M. Harkins and Apples both haven't shown enough to get more than league minimum but I gave them each another couple hundred thousand just to be safe. Is Niku going to be worth $2M? Probably not but I gave it to him anyhow.

All this shows we aren't having anyone of substance squeezed out of the lineup other than LB, who has not put up great numbers this year, but if the cap goes up by more than the $1.5M I did here, and/or we squeeze apples and Harkins to league minimum contracts, carry a 22 man roster where we can we could afford to bring him back at around $1.5M or turn it over to Comrie and save some cash.

If Buff is off the books than a UFA like Hamonic could make sense. If Buff is back next year, great! We don't really have any cap issues that are forcing anyone out because Roslovic didn't blow up this year with top 6 minutes and Niku hasn't earned a big payday either.

I stand corrected on the cap. I must of missed something. But that roster isnt much better then this years. We still miss the playoffs next year IMO

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
You should look in the mirror. Negative scenarios have “ifs” too. It’s likely going to be a combination of positives and negatives.

I’m not exactly inclined to take the time to type out an in depth and well thought out post when I know what it would be met with regardless of whether I’m right or wrong. The general tone on this board has swung very much one way within the last year and it can be hard to go through all the noise to find the substance since lately people just want to rant. But my general thoughts can pretty much be summed up through a couple of posters who have taken the time to give their in depth thoughts. Unfortunately some of them have been run off.

I actually respect your opinion and I'm always open to hearing another view

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't post much on the tank thread , it's too depressing but i guess that's what a tank thread is . Hold my beer , i'm going to the positivity thread , if i can find it .:laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't post much on the tank thread , it's too depressing but i guess that's what a tank thread is . Hold my beer , i'm going to the positivity thread , if i can find it .:laugh:

Honestly I don’t find the tank thread that depressing because it is usually passionate Jets fans who are hoping the team lands a key asset so we can win in the future. It’s a one step back for two steps forward philosophy.

I struggle more with posters who are just terminally negative in good seasons and in bad seasons.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Honestly I don’t find the tank thread that depressing because it is usually passionate Jets fans who are hoping the team lands a key asset so we can win in the future. It’s a one step back for two steps forward philosophy.

I struggle more with posters who are just terminally negative in good seasons and in bad seasons.
Also, I struggle with naive posters who still think we can make a deep playoff run this year because St Louis went from worst to first last year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Also, I struggle with naive posters who still think we can make a deep playoff run this year because St Louis went from worst to first last year.
Why struggle with the eternally optimistic? They are usually the healthiest among us. Being optimistic over pessimistic is a huge positive health determinant. Even if it is unfounded it is a positive for your health.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Why struggle with the eternally optimistic? They are usually the healthiest among us. Being optimistic over pessimistic is a huge positive health determinant. Even if it is unfounded it is a positive for your health.

Being optimistic leaves you disappointed

Being pessimistic leaves you disappointed still but also with a sense of being right lol.

Especially with the jets other then one season

Reactions: Larabee

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

St Louis had decent underlying numbers last season and once they added a crazy hot goalie they were off to the races. Jets have really struggled this season so far and they don’t really have anything in common with last years Blues.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Being optimistic leaves you disappointed

Being pessimistic leaves you disappointed still but also with a sense of being right lol.

Especially with the jets other then one season
Actually optimistic people adapt better to disappointment than pessimistic people. This board is a perfect example. No matter what happens if it is a unfavourable outcome those that are optimistic will adjust and continue to be positive about future outcomes. While those that tend to be pessimistic will tend to negate all favourable outcomes and just move on to something else to be pessimistic about. There is actually quite a bit of research on this.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Actually optimistic people adapt better to disappointment than pessimistic people. This board is a perfect example. No matter what happens if it is a unfavourable outcome those that are optimistic will adjust and continue to be positive about future outcomes. While those that tend to be pessimistic will tend to negate all favourable outcomes and just move on to something else to be pessimistic about. There is actually quite a bit of research on this.

That's interesting. And makes alot of sense

Reactions: KingBogo

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well if you are going to soft tank this would probably be the draft year to do it. Lots of real high end talent available in the top 15 of this draft.

I'd really like to get into that top 10. Sharp drop off after the first couple picks IMO, then another sharp drop off after about 10 or 11 depending on how much you like Askarov. Then a cushy middle where if the picks go a certain way you could be left with the next sharp drop off. Then a very sharp decline as the draft goes on. I'm not as sold on this being a very deep draft.

Typically when the WHL, QMJHL and OHL best picks are in the top 7 or so guys and there isn't a large contingent of them and then there is a wide range of middling talent for the rest of the draft it's not overly strong. Decent crop of guys from Sweden at the top but sharp decline after. Only one real solid Finnish prospect to write home about and Russians are always hard as hell to predict.

If we start losing then hopefully a few guys go and get their ailments fixed, we call up some kids to get some NHL experience and let the chips fall where they may. Better to get those ailments out of the way in a bum season to heal well before next season starts. Maybe try and move Perreault, Shore, Sbisa, Bitetto and Kulikov at the deadline if at all possible to salvage anything we can get out of them. Likely not much but its worth a shot.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I dreamt last night that we traded Lowry to the Devils for a 1st round plus prospect.

What a cruel, cruel dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad