2019-2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 3: The Prelude to Playoff Positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 6, 2012
It just occurred to me, Bouwmeester still has a chance to get his name on the Cup if the Blues repeat. It’s an interesting motivation, to try to win for Jay.

He would 100% qualify to have his name on there if we repeat. I don't think it would even be in question. You just have to play a set number of games in the reg season. Del Zotto played 7 regular season games and zero playoff games and his name is on there. I think you just need 41 reg season games to qualify and Jbo already has.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We are so much better with Oscar Sundqvist in the lineup!

What a great acquisition by Doug Armstrong.
2 homerun trades in Sunny and Orielly. Schenn was a fair trade so I wouldnt lump him in with the other 2 fleecings

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We are so much better with Oscar Sundqvist in the lineup!

What a great acquisition by Doug Armstrong.

And what a great extension. 4 years at $2.75M.

Sunny is going to be the backbone of the bottom 6 for another 3 years at a price that is completely fair/manageable. He is the best 4C in the league at the moment since ROR, Schenn, Thomas, and Bozak give us the luxury of using him as the 4C even when we have some injuries. As injuries hit and the cap forces us to lose assets and/or slide Thomas/Schenn to the wing, he can slide up and be a legit 3C for about $2M less than what a veteran playoff-caliber 3C usually costs.

Sunny at $2.75M is an insanely great luxury to have during your Cup window. It's one of those deals that essentially erases a $2M mistake somewhere else in the lineup.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Sundvist + 1st for Reaves + 2nd. Pretty amazing how we get the better player and pick. I remember Sundqvist's first year with the Blues and many of us legitimately thought he wasn't even capable of scoring a goal. Fast forward a couple years and he's an integral part of the roster. Seems like a great guy off the ice too. What a pick up.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Sundvist + 1st for Reaves + 2nd. Pretty amazing how we get the better player and pick. I remember Sundqvist's first year with the Blues and many of us legitimately thought he wasn't even capable of scoring a goal. Fast forward a couple years and he's an integral part of the roster. Seems like a great guy off the ice too. What a pick up.

What’s funny to me is, that first year when he was extremely snake bitten, we all thought they were just trying to make people feel better about him, even though he did get robbed of SO many good scoring chances.

Hell, I remember the chaos just LAST season when Yeo put him in the lineup for the first time. I wanna say he put in two goals that night too lol.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'll be the first to admit that I was dead wrong about Sunny. I had completely written him off going into camp last year and wasn't even seriously putting him in the discussion about guys who had a legitimate shot to make the roster. What a great thing to be wrong about.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
TDL has come and gone and we still have our 1st, Pietrangelo and Mikkola. I'm happy. :)
I didn't expect anything to happen today given the state of the NHL roster, prospect pool and draft pick ownership. Guys like Blais, Kyrou, Sanford and Mac have earned complimentary spots in the lineup. The Scandella acquisition filled up the blue line and I didn't see Army willing to pay the asset cost of a top 6 upgrade at the deadline when he wasn't willing to do it while we had numerous guys out with injury. Nothing today would have made sense, so I'm happy for a quiet TDL.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Though I knew it was unlikely, I was hoping Petro’s contract extension would be announced today.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Though I knew it was unlikely, I was hoping Petro’s contract extension would be announced today.

Buckle up. He's represented by Newport and that situation can and probably will go right up to UFA. Expect the max length time table and you'll be pleasantly surprised when it gets done sooner. Then we can all unclench.

Edit: I hope you have a high tolerance for Trade Board Petro threads because we're going to be seeing a lot of them.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
There’s always tomorrow. ;)
H8pj.gif

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was kind of hoping against hope we would see a "Faulk asked to waive his NTC" tweet, and Armstrong subsequently flipping the defenseman. I guess that would mean admitting that our scouting staff made an error in evaluating Faulk, which I honestly think they did. I bet Waddell and his staff had a better idea of Faulk's limitations.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was kind of hoping against hope we would see a "Faulk asked to waive his NTC" tweet, and Armstrong subsequently flipping the defenseman. I guess that would mean admitting that our scouting staff made an error in evaluating Faulk, which I honestly think they did. I bet Waddell and his staff had a better idea of Faulk's limitations.
The situation is manageable with the defense set up the way it is. If managment comes to the same conclusion, then that's an offseason move.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The situation is manageable with the defense set up the way it is. If managment comes to the same conclusion, then that's an offseason move.

It’s manageable, but it’s just bad roster construction. If you have a roster with Petro Faulk and Parayko on it, and you’re paying two of them at least $9mil a year for two years, Faulk shouldn’t be one of them. If you have a roster like ours, Faulk shouldn’t be *the highest paid player on the team* next year.

It’s especially bad for our contract negotiations with Petro and, later Parayko, because if we think Faulk’s performance and role is worth $9mil, what must they be worth?! $11mil each?

I don’t even dislike Faulk that much, he’s fine. But there were cheaper options out there that probably would have been a better fit (Scandella is a good example of this), and we didn’t have to sign him to a huge extension before he ever put on a Blues uniform. We went big game hunting and got the guy we wanted, but I’m not sure it made us better. Getting a guy like Colin Miller for a third of the price would have effectively achieved the same goal.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It’s manageable, but it’s just bad roster construction. If you have a roster with Petro Faulk and Parayko on it, and you’re paying two of them at least $9mil a year for two years, Faulk shouldn’t be one of them. If you have a roster like ours, Faulk shouldn’t be *the highest paid player on the team* next year.

It’s especially bad for our contract negotiations with Petro and, later Parayko, because if we think Faulk’s performance and role is worth $9mil, what must they be worth?! $11mil each?

I don’t even dislike Faulk that much, he’s fine. But there were cheaper options out there that probably would have been a better fit (Scandella is a good example of this), and we didn’t have to sign him to a huge extension before he ever put on a Blues uniform. We went big game hunting and got the guy we wanted, but I’m not sure it made us better. Getting a guy like Colin Miller for a third of the price would have effectively achieved the same goal.
I do agree. I'm assuming they thought they could get one of the guys to perform well on the left side. When it was working, Petro was playing outstanding hockey. If he's not at his best. The experiment doesn't work. I think Bortuzzo fills that 3rd pairing role perfectly.

As much as some suggest, I dont think anyone actually hates Faulk. But him being fine is the problem. He has to actually perform to his standards and imo, beyond that. We have 3 new players over the last 3 years that seamlessly adapted to the team. Schenn, Orielly and now Scandella have dropped right in and hit the ground running. Faulk just hasnt had that happen

Reactions: BlueDream

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I think anyone hoping that Faulk gets shipped out before the expansion draft is likely going to be disappointed. The team targeted, spent assets to acquire, then extended Faulk. They clearly value him, and I doubt they're going to punt on all that based off an up and down first season with a new team. I do think -regardless of how he plays next year- he is a likely candidate to be playing in Seattle after next year, presuming Petro stays. But I can't possibly see them trying to move on from him before that.

I think Schwartz might be an under-the-rader guy to keep an eye on. He's the only core guy set to hit UFA after next year which also coincides with all of Sanford, Thomas, Kyrou, and Barbashev being due new deals. Though they will all be RFA's and outside of Thomas or maybe Kyrou I can't see any of them getting bigger, long term deals. But they will eat into the cap. Parayko will be up the year after. So, I don't think it's crazy -depending on what happens with Petro- to think Armstrong might explore the market on him with a year left to see if we can maybe get a young roster player and a first for him. The team could make a deal work with him cap-wise I'm sure. But do they want to commit money and years into all of Schwartz/Schenn/Petro (presumably)/Faulk? At a certain point, it might be smart -and necessary- to move on from Schwartz. And I say that as someone who would hate to see Schwartz go.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'll be the first to admit that I was dead wrong about Sunny. I had completely written him off going into camp last year and wasn't even seriously putting him in the discussion about guys who had a legitimate shot to make the roster. What a great thing to be wrong about.
I don't even think it's about us being wrong about him, the club sent him to the minors, so he clearly wasn't playing to their standard. You do have to give him all the credit in the world for putting a ton of work in during the off-season. He came back a completely different player. Sort of reminded me when Backes really worked on his skating in the off-season and in his 3rd season scored 31 goals and became a top 6 center.

Nothing earns a fan's respect more than what Sunny did IMO.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018

Faulk gets $6.5 million a year for four years starting next season. It isn't all that terrible and certainly isn't the highest paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad