2019-2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 3: The Prelude to Playoff Positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
When Kyrou is on, he's a great backchecker. He had some nice takeaways like Thomas in a few games, the problem is getting that confidence and consistency. It's something all young players go through. I'd like to see him on a line with Sundqvist. Sunny has something about him that gets his linemates to bring the energy with him, and I feel like he can help cover for Kyrou and Kyrou can be on a lower line with reduced expectations instead of trying to play in the top 6 when he's not ready or with Steen and Bozak who aren't really offensive drivers anymore.

Reactions: Ranksu

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Thomas back on 3rd line at practice today. The more I think about this, the more I think that is where he needs to be at this point. He is clearly one of our top 6 forwards (even when we are fully healthy), but the impact he makes on the Steen-Bozak line far outweighs the drop off on Schenn line when he isn't on that one.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Thomas back on 3rd line at practice today. The more I think about this, the more I think that is where he needs to be at this point. He is clearly one of our top 6 forwards (even when we are fully healthy), but the impact he makes on the Steen-Bozak line far outweighs the drop off on Schenn line when he isn't on that one.
Couldn't agree more. This team is at its best when it can roll 4 dangerous lines. Injuries are making that difficult, but our 3rd line has been mediocre without him and I don't think his presence in the top 6 has made those lines any more dangerous. Thomas has been able to feast on lesser matchups. Let him keep doing it. He has plenty of time left in his career to anchor a top 6 line down the line.

I'd rather have 3 above average lines than 2 good lines and a below average line right now.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's why I think we should look to upgrade that 3rd line. If we can add a scorer next to Thomas, then we have 3 legit top 6 caliber lines.

Call me crazy, but maybe that's a spot for Tarasenko when he returns. Still find ways to get him his mintues with extra PP time or playing up at times, but Thomas and Tarasenko together could be electric.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
It's why I think we should look to upgrade that 3rd line. If we can add a scorer next to Thomas, then we have 3 legit top 6 caliber lines.

Call me crazy, but maybe that's a spot for Tarasenko when he returns. Still find ways to get him his mintues with extra PP time or playing up at times, but Thomas and Tarasenko together could be electric.
Schwartz - Schenn - Bozak
Sanford - O'Reilly - Perron
Toffoli - Thomas - Tarasenko
Steen - Sundqvist - Barbashev

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's why having players on the NHL roster, even if they aren't playing is still important. You don't want them on them being scratched all the time, but learning to be a pro day in and day out is key to development. Someone like Kyrou can dominate the minors with his skill and that can lead to bad habits because you just get comfortable after awhile.

I'm not worried about him. He's got plenty of vets that have been in the league at a young age, and this coaching staff has worked with a lot of young players recently.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
That's why having players on the NHL roster, even if they aren't playing is still important. You don't want them on them being scratched all the time, but learning to be a pro day in and day out is key to development. Someone like Kyrou can dominate the minors with his skill and that can lead to bad habits because you just get comfortable after awhile.

I'm not worried about him. He's got plenty of vets that have been in the league at a young age, and this coaching staff has worked with a lot of young players recently.
I was especially encouraged by the comment about being prepared at the start of the game and not easing into it. I think he's telling the player to be confident in the skills that got you into this league, follow the system and trust yourself. Lack of confidence, amplified by his tendency to defer to veteran linemates, seems to me to be what's killing his game right now outside of the details in his own zone. Just go out and play the game that got you here within the structure of the system and you'll be fine.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I wonder has Chief talk to Sanford about those things, 'Cus he is doing excatly same mistakes than Kyrou too, turning puck over, lack of defensive skill. Only difference is that Sanford is given golden plate Blues best forwards to play with. Not deserved.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I wonder has Chief talk to Sanford about those things, 'Cus he is doing excatly same mistakes than Kyrou too, turning puck over, lack of defensive skill. Only difference is that Sanford is given golden plate Blues best forwards to play with. Not deserved.

Chief has raved about Sanford a couple times. Chief likes Sanford

Reactions: Klank Loves You

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Chief has raved about Sanford a couple times. Chief likes Sanford
And this is because he has one advantage over Kyrou........ Size. Sanford has great skill, but he lacks drive and consistency. When things are going good on the ice for him, he's definitely a top 6 player, but when they aren't going well you see him getting knocked off the puck easily, tripping over invisible barriers and showing lack of drive. The last player i've seen in the Note with that lightswitch on/off was Chris Stewart.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am very hopeful for Kyrou. I think Craig Berube and the St. Louis system is perfect for his development. Some have voiced concerns that the defense 1st philosophy will stifle his creativity, but I dispute this. In the Blues system, Kyrou can become a deadly two-way threat. People look at speed and automatically think offense, but that speed can be used as a very effective defensive weapon. I would even like to see Kyrou tried on the PK! It is all up to him right now.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL

I was thinking of this recently as well. Keep RoR-Perron, Schenn-Schwartz, and Thomas-Tarasenko together when Tarasenko comes back to have 3 lines with legit scoring. If we're down late in games you could then add Tarasenko, Thomas, or both in the top 6 when we shrink the bench.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It sucks to be talking about this, but knowing that J-Bouw was conscious and alert and seemingly out of the woods, Army's focus will have to shift towards finishing the rest of this season and defending last year's championship. Considering Jiri Fischer and Rich Peverley never played again after their cardiac episodes, it's probably safe to assume that Bouwmeester will be moved to LTIR in the coming days joining Tarasenko, meaning whatever consideration that Army had to have for Tarasenko's potential early return is likely no longer of concern.

With the LHD depth now Gunnarson, Dunn & Mikkola, it likely spells the return of Faulk to the left side alongside Pietrangelo, which honestly, is probably the best place for Faulk at this point. Mikkola and Bortuzzo will probably split the 6/7 role for the remainder of the season. But now, with their shut-down pairing no longer in tact, I wonder if this forces Army and Berube to try to outscore their defensive short-comings and bring in a forward, or if they'll try to slide Mikkola in alongside Parayko and try to replicate the success 19 & 55 had together. Although the advanced stats said otherwise, Bouwmeester's loss is a huge concern for this team, and while there's a chance the team rallies to 'win one (or 28) for the Gipper', it's more likely going to strain the defense which has already been showing signs of leaks.

What a devastating night. Uggh.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

What has Kyrou done to deserve more ice time? The dude has 4 points in 17 games (ok, I'll give him 5 after last night). I know it's hard for you to see because of your non-objectivity, but Sanford is a much more complete player than Kyrou right now and yes, better defensively.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
What has Kyrou done to deserve more ice time? The dude has 4 points in 17 games (ok, I'll give him 5 after last night). I know it's hard for you to see because of your non-objectivity, but Sanford is a much more complete player than Kyrou right now and yes, better defensively.
Thomas had to earn it too. Kyrou is in the same boat now. These young guys are of no help if they don’t complete their development into effective NHL players. Lowering the standards to let them be rewarded for failure isn’t going to help.

It’s not even a big deal what’s happening with Kyrou. He’s taken a step forward this year. He just needs to keep going. There is not enough patience with the process.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Thomas has to earn it too. Kyrou is in the same boat now. These young guys are of no help if they don’t complete their development into effective NHL players. Lowering the standards to let them be rewarded for failure isn’t going to help.

It’s not even a big deal what’s happening with Kyrou. He’s taken a step forward this year. He just needs to keep going. There is not enough patience with the process.

Yep, and so did Tarasenko before them. He has commented on how Hitch helped him become a more complete player and seems to appreciate that. I seem to recall Blues fans wanting Tarasenko to get more opportunities as a young player, but it seems to have worked out for the best.

The Blues aren't a team that should or needs to let young guys develop on the fly. Kyrou is going to school this year and it will benefit him in the future.

I must say that having Tarasenko and Thomas on the third line is very intriguing. That would give us three scoring lines and would give opposing teams trouble when trying to match up against us. How about:

Sanford-RoR-Perron
Schwartz-Schenn-Sundqvist
Bozak-Thomas-Tarasenko
Steen-Barby-Mac

Personally I liked Sundqvist with the Sasky boys more than Bozak. He gives the line a defensive presence that they lack now. I just don't know if Bozie can play the left side. If not, Sundqvist could be solid with Thomas and Vladi. Or put Sasky line back together, Steen as 3lw and Sunny centering the "don't call it a" 4th line. Lots of options.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Yep, and so did Tarasenko before them. He has commented on how Hitch helped him become a more complete player and seems to appreciate that. I seem to recall Blues fans wanting Tarasenko to get more opportunities as a young player, but it seems to have worked out for the best.

The Blues aren't a team that should or needs to let young guys develop on the fly. Kyrou is going to school this year and it will benefit him in the future.

I must say that having Tarasenko and Thomas on the third line is very intriguing. That would give us three scoring lines and would give opposing teams trouble when trying to match up against us. How about:

Sanford-RoR-Perron
Schwartz-Schenn-Sundqvist
Bozak-Thomas-Tarasenko
Steen-Barby-Mac

Personally I liked Sundqvist with the Sasky boys more than Bozak. He gives the line a defensive presence that they lack now. I just don't know if Bozie can play the left side. If not, Sundqvist could be solid with Thomas and Vladi. Or put Sasky line back together, Steen as 3lw and Sunny centering the "don't call it a" 4th line. Lots of options.
Do what you want with the Top 9, but when the playoffs roll around I want 20-49-70 on the fourth line if everyone is healthy. That combination was unstoppable. In your scenario, replace Sunny with Blais and Mac with Sunny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad