Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
If DW's plan is to keep Dillon I can see one of two things. He makes a big move for help up front, getting a young cheap top 6 to fill out the line up after re-signing Jumbo and Pavs. Option 2 would be the classic Doug Wilson, "the team isn't finished until the deadline" move, he lets the rookies compete for the open a top 9-6 spot. If they fail to handle the role you bring in a top 6 at the deadline or before.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If the young guys don't work out, that forward group is...not great.

Its not great. But it is not going to be great anyway. You are looking to replace Labanc's production on that 3rd line. The best chance we have is if one of Chmeleveski or Chekhovich are home-runs. That or Gambrell doing a 180 this year.

If we want to have a bottom-6 which wins games, we need to have atleast 1 of Chekhovich or Chmelevski to be solid 3rd liners this season. We also need Gambrell to be a lot better on the 4th line that he was last season. The 4C position most certainly needs an upgrade over Goodrow. Either Gambrell needs to step up or True needs to earn that position.

Goodrow and Gambrell have shown to be average 4th liners. Sorensen is an average 3rd liner and Labanc is going to play in that top-6. We need the kids to step up.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Pavs should not be signed.....I know he will put up 35 again next year but it will all be on the pp while he's useless 5v5

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Its not great. But it is not going to be great anyway. You are looking to replace Labanc's production on that 3rd line. The best chance we have is if one of Chmeleveski or Chekhovich are home-runs. That or Gambrell doing a 180 this year.

If we want to have a bottom-6 which wins games, we need to have atleast 1 of Chekhovich or Chmelevski to be solid 3rd liners this season. We also need Gambrell to be a lot better on the 4th line that he was last season. The 4C position most certainly needs an upgrade over Goodrow. Either Gambrell needs to step up or True needs to earn that position.

Goodrow and Gambrell have shown to be average 4th liners. Sorensen is an average 3rd liner and Labanc is going to play in that top-6. We need the kids to step up.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Goodrow is a good PKer but that's about it. Gambrell - I've said it before, but he just hasn't shown me anything. Sorenson should be on the 4th line, and that line still needs an actual center. Someone like Brian Boyle or getting Fehr back would be perfect.

Sorenson-Fehr/Boyle-Goodrow is pretty solid. Get another good 3rd liner and you're looking much better.

xxx (maybe someone like Dzingel or just keep Donskoi)-Thornton-Labanc
Sorenson-Fehr/Boyle-Goodrow

is a pretty good bottom six.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm not sure I agree with this. Goodrow is a good PKer but that's about it. Gambrell - I've said it before, but he just hasn't shown me anything. Sorenson should be on the 4th line, and that line still needs an actual center. Someone like Brian Boyle or getting Fehr back would be perfect.

Sorenson-Fehr/Boyle-Goodrow is pretty solid. Get another good 3rd liner and you're looking much better.

xxx (maybe someone like Dzingel or just keep Donskoi)-Thornton-Labanc
Sorenson-Fehr/Boyle-Goodrow

is a pretty good bottom six.

Not sure what you do not agree with? I said Goodrow and Gambrell are average 4th liners. Goodrow had 17 points on the 4th line and is a good PK'er. Fairly respectable numbers. Gambrell played 8 games and while he didn't show much in the regular season he certainly showed some promise in the last post-season game.

You want to sign Fehr, a good 3rd line winger (Dzingel/Donskoi) and also find an upgrade for a top-6 winger. While I would love to do that as well, how do you think that works with our cap issues?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Not sure what you do not agree with? I said Goodrow and Gambrell are average 4th liners. Goodrow had 17 points on the 4th line and is a good PK'er. Fairly respectable numbers. Gambrell played 8 games and while he didn't show much in the regular season he certainly showed some promise in the last post-season game.

You want to sign Fehr, a good 3rd line winger (Dzingel/Donskoi) and also find an upgrade for a top-6 winger. While I would love to do that as well, how do you think that works with our cap issues?

I still think Goodrow would be the weak link on that line, and I don't think Gambrell should be in the lineup at all. I don't see him as even an average 4th liner. Sure he was fine in the last game, but even Goodrow scored the game 7 goal.

This is all assuming Pavs isn't back, so there's that much cap space left. Fehr/Donskoi/Dzingel + Thornton wouldn't be much more than 8-9 mil altogether.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

This is conflicting with other reports that we've heard and it's Kypreos so I'm especially skeptical of it.

Everything says "out west" but is it bad that I want to laugh at him for this.....

If he plays for LA or Anaheim he's not the man I thought he was

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I still think Goodrow would be the weak link on that line, and I don't think Gambrell should be in the lineup at all. I don't see him as even an average 4th liner. Sure he was fine in the last game, but even Goodrow scored the game 7 goal.

This is all assuming Pavs isn't back, so there's that much cap space left. Fehr/Donskoi/Dzingel + Thornton wouldn't be much more than 8-9 mil altogether.

We have 16.3M available in cap space right now. If we are lucky and Labanc bridges @ 3.5M and Meier bridges @ 4.5M, it leaves 8.3 M in cap space.

Fehr @1.5M
Donskoi @ 3.5M or Dzingel @5M
Thornton @ 1.5M

Lets go cheaper with Donskoi and get Fehr, Donskoi and Thornton @ 6.5M.

That leaves us with 1.8 M to sign a top-6 winger unless you choose to play Donskoi in the top-6. If you do that, you still have a need for a W on the 3rd line. This is all assuming that we get decent bridge deals for Labanc and Meier.

Now what I would ideally love to do is trade Dell and Melker to free up close to 3.9M and use the 3.9 M + 1.8M to actually sign Dzingel.

Meier-Hertl-Dzingel
Kane-Couture-Labanc
Sorensen-Thornton-Donskoi
Goodrow-Fehr-Gambrell

Jul 10, 2010
Maybe im in the minority here, but i try Gambrell next to thornton, assuming LaBanc goes to the Hertl-Kane line.

Try and resign Nyquist for the Couture-Meier line. Target Zack Kassian, throw him with Thornton as well.

Run Goodrow-new center-Sorenson on line 4.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think Edler was a backup plan if Karlsson didn’t sign. I expect Dillon to be our #4 d man.

We don’t know what we have in Gambrell yet. Writing him off as a 4th liner is just as foolish as anointing either of the ch-twins as a 3rd liner this year. It is very possible that DW leaves the spot on Jumbos right wing open and let’s the youngsters compete for the job.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

If somehow true...

DetailedRawAurochs-size_restricted.gif

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Kapanen + Patty @ 50% for something small? I am not 100% if Kapanen is a true top-6 F or not but that kind of trade could work wonderfully for us.

Meier-Hertl-Kapanen
Kane-Couture-Labanc
Sorensen-Jumbo-Patty
Who-Da Puck-Cares
Not sure I'd want Kapanen. I'd want a pick from Toronto then get another team to buyout his contract, something in this year's draft.

Meier-Hertl-Pavs
Kane-Couture-Chekhovich
Patty-Jumbo-Labanc
Sorensen-Gamby-Goody

Trade Melker for a mid to low pick for space. Maybe Dell too if DW can swing it. If the Chs don't cut it make a trade to fill out the top 6.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
If they move melker and dell

I would like to see

Meier couture pavs
Kane hertl labanc
Chi twin jumbo sorenson
Radil true goodrow

Heed vlasic
Dillion karlsson
Burns simek

If we can upgrade a forward or heed great

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Brenden Dillon's minutes dropped by about 1 minute per game in the playoffs. He frequently got benched in critical situations like game 7 OT against Vegas. DeBoer's been here for 4 years now and has repeatedly shown that he doesn't trust Dillon to be a top-4 guy. What makes you think that the Sharks will go into next season with Dillon in a bonafide top-4 role? They won't. And no, Radim Simek won't get that role either. He played 15 soft minutes per game next to Brent Burns last year.

We've heard more reports of the Sharks interest in Edler, an external UFA, then we have heard about the Sharks and their internal UFAs in Nyquist and Pavelski. That should tell you something. Edler would sign here for roughly $5M over 3 years. Maybe a little more. He's well worth it.

Depending on what Pavelski/Jumbo are looking for, you can sign all 3 of those players. But I wouldn't re-sign Pavelski regardless.

From what I've seen, the issue between Edler and Vancouver is term and a NMC, not AAV.
I think you dont give Simek enough credit. I fully believe he gets every chance to be Burns's partner and a top 4 role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him skate with EK either.
Dillon I am unsure about moving. He's only 28 and would be fine as the #5. Pair him with any youngster till someone clicks. Ferraro maybe??
Pavs has to realize he his a victim of the numbers game. Team discount to stay or 8mil+ as an UFA.
I think DW goes full wizard, gets both Lebanc and Meier to sign 3 or 4 year bridge deals. Meier 4yr/17mil
Lebanc 3yr/10mil

I'd take Nyquist over Elder if it came to it.
Offer him 3yrs/15mil.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think you dont give Simek enough credit. I fully believe he gets every chance to be Burns's partner and a top 4 role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him skate with EK either.
Dillon I am unsure about moving. He's only 28 and would be fine as the #5. Pair him with any youngster till someone clicks. Ferraro maybe??
Pavs has to realize he his a victim of the numbers game. Team discount to stay or 8mil+ as an UFA.
I think DW goes full wizard, gets both Lebanc and Meier to sign 3 or 4 year bridge deals. Meier 4yr/17mil
Lebanc 3yr/10mil

I'd take Nyquist over Elder if it came to it.
Offer him 3yrs/15mil.

Being Burns’ partner and playing in a top-4 role are not the same thing. Simek averaged 15:10 per game this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad