Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I’m hesitant to rely too much on Simek. He was fantastic in limited time but that was such a small sample size.

I agree wholeheartedly. Too small a sample to pin anything on Simek. He did look solid, but he also just had a terrible knee injury which is tough or a guy who plays a physical game. I mean, Radil came out gangbusters too, but I don't see anyone talking about protecting him.

I think two years is a long ways away. Alot an happen in that time, and I think much depends on who steps up from the forward youth. I believe that anyone starting the first year of a 3 year ELC (like the chwins) is exempt, but two year guys like blichfeld or gregor will not be. So, if True, or blichfeld, Gambrell, or gregor make a big impact, then that could significantly change dougie's plans. Same can be said for Ferraro, Sund, Simek or the like on D. Hard to predict...

Might the sharks try a package of Dillon, Karlsson, Labanc, and a pick for Ehlers to rejoin his buddy Meier??? Would be shocked to see it, but its not completely impossible.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

wraith985

Jan 8, 2006
We 'know' 51-88 is great like we 'knew' 47-88 was great coming into the year.

I fully expect Ryan to be back at or near his QO, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him taking a regular shift next to Burns again at some point next year if Simek struggles or if his injury affects him.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Why does it take so long to figure out the cap. I have never figured that out. What number(s) are they waiting for before finalizing the cap?

NHL and NHLPA know the "estimated" revenue based on any expected increases based on this season's $$s. They're negotiating the escalator.

(Perhaps agree on $2m increase for 19-20 and the same for 20-21. That would help with the player's escrow hate.)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We 'know' 51-88 is great like we 'knew' 47-88 was great coming into the year.

I fully expect Ryan to be back at or near his QO, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him taking a regular shift next to Burns again at some point next year if Simek struggles or if his injury affects him.

They have limited options in terms of what they can do here. For me, I'm fine with bringing Ryan back as a sort of insurance policy on Simek but they have to roll with them. They need to find a solution to replace Braun though and I have a hard time thinking Heed is that guy. Heed isn't going to replace what Braun brings and EK65/BB88 need someone to take the hard PK minutes off of them.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
They have limited options in terms of what they can do here. For me, I'm fine with bringing Ryan back as a sort of insurance policy on Simek but they have to roll with them. They need to find a solution to replace Braun though and I have a hard time thinking Heed is that guy. Heed isn't going to replace what Braun brings and EK65/BB88 need someone to take the hard PK minutes off of them.

I could see a guy like Dalton Prout coming here. He's nothing great, but better than like Holzer or Girardi.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Looked through some cheap options on other teams and came up with the following list of guys that could be options and are on teams that would actually trade with us (Kings, Vegas, and the like are not going to help us):

Buffalo - Casey Nelson
Florida - Mackenzie Weegar, Josh Brown
Minnesota - Greg Pateryn (need to retain a bit on his $2.25 mil)
Montreal - Christian Folin (kinda sucks)
NYI - Scott Mayfield
Vancouver - Alex Biega

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I see no reason not to play ECL guys or whatever Euros we have for 1M until the deadline then add at pylon vet for grit if they must

Because the team has a specific need that needs to be addressed. If any of the internal options have shown themselves in the lower leagues killing penalties then fine but I don't see anyone in our system like that on the right side. I see more potential in guys like Sund or Ferraro to potentially do that but not guys like DeSimone or Roy or Merkley.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Because the team has a specific need that needs to be addressed. If any of the internal options have shown themselves in the lower leagues killing penalties then fine but I don't see anyone in our system like that on the right side. I see more potential in guys like Sund or Ferraro to potentially do that but not guys like DeSimone or Roy or Merkley.

After seeing a guy like Makar's success last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferraro get a couple games.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
After seeing a guy like Makar's success last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferraro get a couple games.

Honestly, I'd be okay with swapping Dillon to Vancouver for Granlund specifically because I think Ferraro can stick on the 3rd pair and be solid there as he finds his NHL footing. I would just want a vet as his partner to help him along. And also because I think Granlund would be a nice, cheap fit up front because it would help our PK up front.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

The other option is to go for a LD like Chiarot or Nemith who can eat up PK minutes and have one of them play the right side on the PK. Then Vlasic, Simek, this 3rd LD and Burns/Karlsson or even the 3rd RD can slot in as the 4th dman from a TOI standpoint.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Looked through some cheap options on other teams and came up with the following list of guys that could be options and are on teams that would actually trade with us (Kings, Vegas, and the like are not going to help us):

Buffalo - Casey Nelson
Florida - Mackenzie Weegar, Josh Brown
Minnesota - Greg Pateryn (need to retain a bit on his $2.25 mil)
Montreal - Christian Folin (kinda sucks)
NYI - Scott Mayfield
Vancouver - Alex Biega

Greg Pateryn is very, very good and would perfectly fill this need.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA

I have my fingers crossed for Ferraro, I think he will capable

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Greg Pateryn is very, very good and would perfectly fill this need.
Agree 100%. Not sure Minnesota is super eager to trade him and even less likely to retain, but I would be very happy with him on the 3rd pairing. Think he is better than Braun straight up and even with no retention is $1.5 mil cheaper. Not sure that is enough savings (depends on what DW does at forward), but a Dillon/Simek-Pateryn 3rd pairing would be a very nice change of pace and could be very good come playoff time.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Agree 100%. Not sure Minnesota is super eager to trade him and even less likely to retain, but I would be very happy with him on the 3rd pairing. Think he is better than Braun straight up and even with no retention is $1.5 mil cheaper. Not sure that is enough savings (depends on what DW does at forward), but a Dillon/Simek-Pateryn 3rd pairing would be a very nice change of pace and could be very good come playoff time.

Wild fans like the idea of #41, even without the 2020 3rd, for Pateryn at 50%. I would make that trade in a heartbeat in order to get 2 years of a #4/5 RHD like Pateryn @ $1.13M. Agree that he’s better than Braun even discounting contracts. You’d just have to get he and Timo to make up after their fight lol.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I agree wholeheartedly. Too small a sample to pin anything on Simek. He did look solid, but he also just had a terrible knee injury which is tough or a guy who plays a physical game. I mean, Radil came out gangbusters too, but I don't see anyone talking about protecting him.

I think two years is a long ways away. Alot an happen in that time, and I think much depends on who steps up from the forward youth. I believe that anyone starting the first year of a 3 year ELC (like the chwins) is exempt, but two year guys like blichfeld or gregor will not be. So, if True, or blichfeld, Gambrell, or gregor make a big impact, then that could significantly change dougie's plans. Same can be said for Ferraro, Sund, Simek or the like on D. Hard to predict...

Might the sharks try a package of Dillon, Karlsson, Labanc, and a pick for Ehlers to rejoin his buddy Meier??? Would be shocked to see it, but its not completely impossible.
Who knows what magic DW can conjoure in this realm but, I do know you'd best have some sort of vanishing act if you purpose that to Jets fans here

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
If Jumbo is coming back I dont see us keeping Pavelski. Pavs slows down our top 6 too much to slot in there and with Thornton centering the 3rd line theres really no spot for him. Im hoping Nyquist is resigned as the Meier-Couture-Nyquist line looked great in the playoffs (out played Colorado's big line which was extremely impressive)

Meier-Couture-Nyquist
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Chehkovich-Thornton-Chmelevski
Sorensen-Goodrow-Karlsson

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Karlsson
Simek/Ryan-Heed

Adding a 3rd line winger and/or a 3rd pairing defenseman would be ideal

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
If Jumbo is coming back I dont see us keeping Pavelski. Pavs slows down our top 6 too much to slot in there and with Thornton centering the 3rd line theres really no spot for him. Im hoping Nyquist is resigned as the Meier-Couture-Nyquist line looked great in the playoffs (out played Colorado's big line which was extremely impressive)

Meier-Couture-Nyquist
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Chehkovich-Thornton-Chmelevski
Sorensen-Goodrow-Karlsson

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Karlsson
Simek/Ryan-Heed

Adding a 3rd line winger and/or a 3rd pairing defenseman would be ideal

If the young guys don't work out, that forward group is...not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad