Hi I'm from the future, this is what ended up happening:

Lnwqvhk.jpg

Reactions: Phu and Jargon

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I actually don't think that's TOO crazy.. buuut, if he wants more, we could potentially trade Dell for picks, have an AHL backup, and give Meier a bit more.
We also could get away without brenden dillon here, given that simek is really good (I really like dillon though)

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
No on Vanek. He's basically Joe Pavelski if he had turned out the way I thought he was going to every year after 2016.
No doubt. Also I'm going to hold out hope that Shovels gets it figured out enough to play at the NHL level next season.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
No idea why some of the posters here think that fighting doesn't happen in hockey, its part of the sport. You think Wayne Gretzky could do as much without Mcsorely making sure? Its a heavy team sport. So Michael Hayley doesn't deserve any of anybodys BS. Anybody notice I always try to talk up our players? Yeah,, thats a real shark !

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
It'll be interesting to see if Labanc can transition into an everyday second line winger next season. If he can, that opens up a lot of possibilities for the Sharks. Specifically Gambrell - who I'd love to see on a wing with Jumbo.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It'll be interesting to see if Labanc can transition into an everyday second line winger next season. If he can, that opens up a lot of possibilities for the Sharks. Specifically Gambrell - who I'd love to see on a wing with Jumbo.
It would be ideal if Labanc couldn’t solidify his role in the top 6. It’s going to be interesting to see how Gambrell does since he’ll have more serious competition next year in Chmelevski and Chekhovich for a 3rd line role.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Checkovich and Chlemevski are the big questions next year. If they can translate their play to the NHL, we’re suddenly looking very skilled.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
No idea why some of the posters here think that fighting doesn't happen in hockey, its part of the sport. You think Wayne Gretzky could do as much without Mcsorely making sure? Its a heavy team sport. So Michael Hayley doesn't deserve any of anybodys BS. Anybody notice I always try to talk up our players? Yeah,, thats a real shark !
It’s not fighting that people dislike Haley over. It’s the fact that he’s an awful fighter and sucks at playing the heavy physical game that PDB thinks he does. He doesn’t strike fear in anyone.

You can continue talking him up in the name of positivity, but it won’t make defending Haley as useful any less dumb. Replace him with someone that can actually fill the role effectively and there will be far less complaints.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’ve thought all along that Gambrell was better suited on a wing in the NHL right now. He’s a really good skater but I don’t know how well he reads plays to play in the middle. He’s for sure not a 4C. May be able to do more with better linemates.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
I don’t think I’ve found one person who agrees with me, but I’ve said (and still believe) that getting Zach Kassian would have been a more influential trade deadline acquisition then a guy like Nyquist strictly for the playoffs.

For me it’s a short list of players that can actually strike fear in an opposing team. Reeves, Kassian, and Wilson. Maybe I’m missing some guys, but the list of actual “good” enforcers is minute these days.

Haley certainly isn’t one of them, although I’m fine if he plays with the Barracuda and gets a few games against heavier teams in the regular season next year.

If Goodrow was replaced by Kassian, giving you Karlsson, Gambrell, Kassian - while maybe not an elite 4th line at least they would do a lot more then Goodrow, Karlsson, and Haley ever did.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It’s not fighting that people dislike Haley over. It’s the fact that he’s an awful fighter and sucks at playing the heavy physical game that PDB thinks he does. He doesn’t strike fear in anyone.

You can continue talking him up in the name of positivity, but it won’t make defending Haley as useful any less dumb. Replace him with someone that can actually fill the role effectively and there will be far less complaints.
Its not just that. He is confusing playing a heavy game with dropping gloves. You want 4th liners to engage the opponent physically by playing at fast and tough checking game.

Haley is not fast enough or big enough to play the heavy game. We do not have a single 4th liner who fits that bill. The fact that PDB expects him to go out and play a game like that is a terrible coaching call. PDB has a a 'type' of 4th line he wants to build. Anyone on that 4th line is expected to play a game like that, whether they have the skill or not. If they don't play that 4th line game, they get replaced. Square peg -> Round hole.

Coaching issues besides, fighting is most definitely over-rated. The two teams playing the Stanley cup this year have exactly 0 post-season fights combined. And yet they are considered to be tough and physical teams. PDB and DW need to figure out what they really want from that 4th line.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Kane - Hertl- Labanc would make a great line.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Its a lot more important to have somebody that answers the bell, than not, nothing to do with winning/losing the fight. Okay.

Also, somebody who rings it. He's good, he pulled out that 4th liner clown Reaves, off the bench! That was awesome.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
What I want:

-A puck moving RD, if that’s Karlsson, great. If not, look at Myers in FA or Subban by trade if Nashville fans are to be believed that they want him out.
-A better third line center. Joe was great last year during the regular season but he wore down terribly in the PO. I think he would be a dynamic 4th line center with the right wingers, but we need to replace the third line center spot. Hayes?
-Gambrell to have a spot full time with scoring partners on his line and not grinders. I think he has untapped potential that we haven’t seen.
-Chance for some rookies to come up.
-Moving Dell/Braun/ one of Karlsson or Goodrow. Too much cap without enough reward. In the case of Goodrow vs Karlsson, I think we have one too many grinders that are taking up spots for younger kids with actual offensive talent to grow.

I hope for something like:

Kane-Hertl-Pavelski
Sorensen-Couture-Hertl
Chekhovich-Dzingel/Johannson/Hayes-Labanc
Gambrell-Thornton-Karlsson/Goodrow/Other

Simek-Burns
Vlasic-Myers
Dillon-Heed

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

When Gretzky was playing, you didn't need 4 lines to be an effective team. Now the overall average talent level is higher, and systems are more important than ever.

It hurts more to get scored on than to lose a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad